Bristol All Golds to Return to Pro Ranks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Amateur sport as a definition no longer exists, I believe.

Amateur comes from "for the love of" and there is no semi-pro.

Someone's profession is where their main income is derived, a professional draughtsman can be an amateur artist, being an amateur artist doesn't mean you don't sell paintings it just means you do it for the love it and not to earn your living.

Before the early mid-eighties rugby league players were amateurs by definition as they would have other employment that provided their main income, even if they got paid for turning out, by definition they were still amateur. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 19/10/2021 at 20:34, Padge said:

Amateur comes from "for the love of" and there is no semi-pro.

Someone's profession is where their main income is derived, a professional draughtsman can be an amateur artist, being an amateur artist doesn't mean you don't sell paintings it just means you do it for the love it and not to earn your living.

Before the early mid-eighties rugby league players were amateurs by definition as they would have other employment that provided their main income, even if they got paid for turning out, by definition they were still amateur. 

Thank you for the language lesson Padge. In the past players in many sports in the UK were specifically designated as "amateurs" and the leagues in which they played proscribed any payments. The FA, for one, had a clear separation between registered players being amateur and non-amateur. These formal definitions were eventually officially abandoned  many years ago, hence my original comment.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thank you for the language lesson Padge. In the past players in many sports in the UK were specifically designated as "amateurs" and the leagues in which they played proscribed any payments. The FA, for one, had a clear separation between registered players being amateur and non-amateur. These formal definitions were eventually officially abandoned  many years ago, hence my original comment.

I was merely pointing out that the use of the terms professional and amateur have been incorrectly used, particularly by one sporting body.

The terms should be unpaid amateur, paid amateur and professional, but we are were we are.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

I was merely pointing out that the use of the terms professional and amateur have been incorrectly used, particularly by one sporting body.

The terms should be unpaid amateur, paid amateur and professional, but we are were we are.

Semantics on a RL forum. Whatever next?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived