Bristol All Golds to Return to Pro Ranks

40 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Ex Oxford fan here. It was basically a new club wrapped up as a merger to make the disappearance of two clubs less embarrassing. Not every director from Oxford was on board. No idea about Old Golds.

They were looking into training bases, had a 2018 coach lined up etc then it was decided it was too rushed and they would enter in 2019. One key figure behind the scenes pulled out during the year out, to focus on another club, and that was the end of the club that never was.

I'd heard it was a particular director from All Golds who was keen on the merger and a move to Bristol but that Oxfords directors were never really on board. Its a real shame about Oxford I have to say, there was some really good people as part of the set up there 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Here is Worcester’s statement https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1079964289478650&id=140450823430006&m_entstream_source=timeline

I think they have an academy too, the people running the club certainly mean business, good luck to them. 

Ok, here goes…

I was involved with Worcester Jaguars over the last 4 years or so. At the start I was head coach, then player coach, then assistant player coach, back to head coach for a bit and then playing.

I left at the end of last season due to the ‘semi-pro’ plans as I majorly disagreed with this move after a half-baked season in West of England and having forfeited one or two games due to lack of players. As alluded to earlier, throwing money at this issue won’t solve it.

The academy is OK, it’s based at a good school, with good facilities but there’s only about 7-10 members of it. When I first got involved, the academy had a solid 15-20 player squad and felt promising, only 4/5 of those players are still ‘involved’ in the first team squad .

Believe it or not the club has plans to tell players they’re unsuccessful on trialling and thus not offer a contract - they plan to launch a feeder team but you’ll see why in the next paragraph why this will be tricky to run and maintain.

Jags held a trial recently, with only 3 prospective newbies rocking up and 9/10 existing first teamers. A dozen or so didn’t attend due to union commitments and this was frowned upon as league wasn’t ‘first choice’ - I understand the leadership’s intentions there but the sentiment is massively misguided, you can’t tell amateur players in a union stronghold what they should be doing when a club is in its sincere infancy. Suffice to say, many of these players have well and truly gone of rugby league. Sad.

The club has now lost John Fieldhouse as first team coach and many players won’t return if a certain person continues to coach in his absence. Again, a bitter taste has been left here through poor coaching, management and direction.

In my most humble opinion, which I placed at the forefront of a players’ survey all Jags squad completed at end of last season, they would be best served developing the South’s equivalent of a Stanningley, Ince Rose Bridge, Heworth… whatever. A good solid community club that knows its place in developing players and structures that strengthen Cov Bears and thus improving RL in the Midlands. 

I wish Jags every success and I can’t fault ambition but such ambition been attempted so early will not help the retention of good league people like myself and a few others, who have had no choice to step aside with their values and morals intact. 

The club have a grand total of 6 players attending junior sessions. Yet here they are exploring semi-professionalism with a multi-scale wage offering after 7 gamesc 2 forfeits and 1 win.

Happy to answer more via direct message 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Thanks 11

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Amateur sport as a definition no longer exists, I believe.

Amateur comes from "for the love of" and there is no semi-pro.

Someone's profession is where their main income is derived, a professional draughtsman can be an amateur artist, being an amateur artist doesn't mean you don't sell paintings it just means you do it for the love it and not to earn your living.

Before the early mid-eighties rugby league players were amateurs by definition as they would have other employment that provided their main income, even if they got paid for turning out, by definition they were still amateur. 

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 19/10/2021 at 20:34, Padge said:

Amateur comes from "for the love of" and there is no semi-pro.

Someone's profession is where their main income is derived, a professional draughtsman can be an amateur artist, being an amateur artist doesn't mean you don't sell paintings it just means you do it for the love it and not to earn your living.

Before the early mid-eighties rugby league players were amateurs by definition as they would have other employment that provided their main income, even if they got paid for turning out, by definition they were still amateur. 

Thank you for the language lesson Padge. In the past players in many sports in the UK were specifically designated as "amateurs" and the leagues in which they played proscribed any payments. The FA, for one, had a clear separation between registered players being amateur and non-amateur. These formal definitions were eventually officially abandoned  many years ago, hence my original comment.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thank you for the language lesson Padge. In the past players in many sports in the UK were specifically designated as "amateurs" and the leagues in which they played proscribed any payments. The FA, for one, had a clear separation between registered players being amateur and non-amateur. These formal definitions were eventually officially abandoned  many years ago, hence my original comment.

I was merely pointing out that the use of the terms professional and amateur have been incorrectly used, particularly by one sporting body.

The terms should be unpaid amateur, paid amateur and professional, but we are were we are.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

I was merely pointing out that the use of the terms professional and amateur have been incorrectly used, particularly by one sporting body.

The terms should be unpaid amateur, paid amateur and professional, but we are were we are.

Semantics on a RL forum. Whatever next?

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.