6 hours ago, JMB said:

Want to get your facts right, players out with Covid that's why they were cancelled, along with a lot of other local teams games, 

Exactly the same as what Hensingham and other teams were being called for! People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/10/2021 at 21:01, Davo5 said:

Refused to play Wath Brow & didn’t fulfill other fixtures including calling off their game at Barrow Island the night before.

Is the system failing them or are they failing the system?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

How many ex pros can you sign up is it 4, Also what’s the deal if a former player returns from being a semi or full time pro do they not count?

I've no idea mate but I'd of thought if there was a limit it would be common knowledge. Who's signing who? 

Who classes as an ex pro, is it someone who's played academy, reserves, or first team squad? Are the rules the same in the ncl as the barla leagues? Do returning club players count? What counts as a returning club player, someone who played all his junior rugby at a club, or someone whos signed for a super team for a season  before signing pro, which club counts? All seems very messy and confusing.

14 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

So basically you can have a full squad of ex pro players then?, I was under the  impression an ex pro would be a player who has signed either a semi pro or full time contract. 

Whats it matter if a player has played pro or not

1 hour ago, billy the bison said:

Just read this morning that Wakefield side Westgate Common have conceded their Barla Yorkshire Cup tie away at Hunslet Club Parkside this Satueday because Barla wont let them play more than three ex pros.

When the games playing numbers are dwindling yet teams and players unable to play due to archaic rules, I'd like to say unbelievable, but there again it's not really is it.

2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

When the games playing numbers are dwindling yet teams and players unable to play due to archaic rules, I'd like to say unbelievable, but there again it's not really is it.

Only BARLA and Pennine League continue with the 3 ex pro in 17 rule, though there are exemptions  for returning players and home produced juniors.

In fairness this is a very old established position.

I see Westgate  Common say they  have 17 ex pro's in their Tier 5  squad. Wow .  No NCL  club has ever managed even half of that ! 

Surely the secretary knew the rules when they entered. Unless they are perhaps ' newbies '  entering for the first time and didn't check out that YML  competition rules differ from Barla's.

Either way it could only ever  happen in Yorkshire .......  😲

50 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Give them one of the many invites ncl clubs get if you want them to enter

Clear pecking order.

Tier 4 before Tier 5.

NCL have fixed number of entrants and only step in to fill gaps  if Tier 5 can't find suitable applicants.

1 hour ago, del capo said:

More seriously if I were them I would be on to the RFL to try and wangle an invite into the CC.

Their recent playing record would justify it and the YML have spots open to them.......

Surely every team from the YML would want to play in the challenge cup if it was just a case of asking to go in.

31 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

Surely every team from the YML would want to play in the challenge cup if it was just a case of asking to go in.

No . Tier 5 has it's own pecking order. 

Please read my post carefully. Westgate might have a good shout. Finished  top of Div 1 this year with only one defeat. Some Premiers already qualify through their NCL sides - others might not want the invite- worth an ask through the YML management.............That's all I'm saying.

5 hours ago, del capo said:

Only BARLA and Pennine League continue with the 3 ex pro in 17 rule, though there are exemptions  for returning players and home produced juniors.

In fairness this is a very old established position.

I see Westgate  Common say they  have 17 ex pro's in their Tier 5  squad. Wow .  No NCL  club has ever managed even half of that ! 

Surely the secretary knew the rules when they entered. Unless they are perhaps ' newbies '  entering for the first time and didn't check out that YML  competition rules differ from Barla's.

Either way it could only ever  happen in Yorkshire .......  😲

Who classes as an ex pro, most ncl teams probably have a majority of players that went through scholarships, academy and maybe played reserves/first team. Preventing teams playing due to players having been through theses systems is ridiculous when playing numbers are so low overall. 

Westgate having 17 classed as ex pro maybe extreme, but did they all play full/part time pro or not, and also where should they play having stepped down from those ranks. Next thing, they're out the game playing union pr some other sport, probably getting paid, and not supporting the amateur game. Next thing the game is crying out for more money, £24 fee, yet there's less people able to pay in, even if they want to.

2 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

Who classes as an ex pro, most ncl teams probably have a majority of players that went through scholarships, academy and maybe played reserves/first team. Preventing teams playing due to players having been through theses systems is ridiculous when playing numbers are so low overall. 

Westgate having 17 classed as ex pro maybe extreme, but did they all play full/part time pro or not, and also where should they play having stepped down from those ranks. Next thing, they're out the game playing union pr some other sport, probably getting paid, and not supporting the amateur game. Next thing the game is crying out for more money, £24 fee, yet there's less people able to pay in, even if they want to.

A few points there Usain

An Ex pro is a player that used to be under a contract with an RL full member  club  whether part or full time and no longer is.

None of those such  players are restricted from playing within the Community game and all are welcome.  The NCL and  all other Leagues run by the RFL have no restrictions of any kind other than as far as the NCL  are concerned the rule is  that you can only play for one club at a time and  therefore  dual registration is not allowed. Contracted players can also  play in Tier 4 South and summer Tier 5 as dually registered.

Westgate can play all their ex pros at once apart from in the Barla run competitions. I'm not defending that rule - we got rid of it in the NCL - but I fully understand the reasoning behind its continuance.

No-one is out of the game just on this point.

The membership fee is a different issue. It's happening , it's cheap and it can be paid by clubs  if they choose directly on behalf of their members, with a grace period of I believe 3 matches for casual ' give it a try'  types. Your average ex pro is unlikely to be in that category.

5 minutes ago, del capo said:

A few points there Usain

An Ex pro is a player that used to be under a contract with an RL full member  club  whether part or full time and no longer is.

None of those such  players are restricted from playing within the Community game and all are welcome.  The NCL and  all other Leagues run by the RFL have no restrictions of any kind other than as far as the NCL  are concerned the rule is  that you can only play for one club at a time and  therefore  dual registration is not allowed. Contracted players can also  play in Tier 4 South and summer Tier 5 as dually registered.

Westgate can play all their ex pros at once apart from in the Barla run competitions. I'm not defending that rule - we got rid of it in the NCL - but I fully understand the reasoning behind its continuance.

No-one is out of the game just on this point.

The membership fee is a different issue. It's happening , it's cheap and it can be paid by clubs  if they choose directly on behalf of their members, with a grace period of I believe 3 matches for casual ' give it a try'  types. Your average ex pro is unlikely to be in that category.

So basically the winter based Barla and pennine leagues are stuck in the past, preventing players and teams from playing. The membership fee was brought into the chat due to less players playing therefore less funds coming in, especially when players and teams are prevented from playing, and a fear therefore is those players then move away from the game and are therefore a loss both in revenue and a number

9 hours ago, usain bolt said:

So basically the winter based Barla and pennine leagues are stuck in the past, preventing players and teams from playing. The membership fee was brought into the chat due to less players playing therefore less funds coming in, especially when players and teams are prevented from playing, and a fear therefore is those players then move away from the game and are therefore a loss both in revenue and a number

Apparently some of their pros played academy only.  I understand why the rule was in place but now some players sign pro one week and change their mind the following and get released without playing a game. And some people think Barla should run the community game!!  

On 12/11/2021 at 09:19, Impartial Observer said:

Apparently some of their pros played academy only.  I understand why the rule was in place but now some players sign pro one week and change their mind the following and get released without playing a game. And some people think Barla should run the community game!!  

Only in rugby league do we make it so difficult for people to play, so many different rules, organisations and people stuck in their old ways. 

Archived