On 14/11/2021 at 16:36, Davo5 said:

Thatto splashing out,Dwyer from Widnes,Bloomfield from Rochdale & former Warrington/Rochdale  halfback Reardon after his drugs ban.

Splashing out, yet no payments allowed in tier 4, still banging on about certain clubs paying players. 🤣

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/11/2021 at 16:36, Davo5 said:

Thatto splashing out,Dwyer from Widnes,Bloomfield from Rochdale & former Warrington/Rochdale  halfback Reardon after his drugs ban.

Connor Dwyer seems to have retired from Widnes last June as  full time work post covid  got in the way of Widnes Training regime. Check the Widnes fan thread as to their view on his abilities. Bloomfield retired from the Hornets aged 34 as his body he says  had started to ' feel it 'at that level. Reardon can only return to the game at the end of this month after a 4 year ban - where would you try to re-start after such a break ?

I know Mike Denning  the Thatto Heath chair well and he would definitely not sanction illegal payments  to the first team even  more so at a time when his club are moving up their monthly subscriptions from £12 to £15 to cover the RFL Active fees.

Looks like a decent recruitment policy to me.

Time for you to get rid of your 'green eyes ' and maybe that chip on your shoulder Davo.......

On 12/11/2021 at 00:14, usain bolt said:

So basically the winter based Barla and pennine leagues are stuck in the past, preventing players and teams from playing. The membership fee was brought into the chat due to less players playing therefore less funds coming in, especially when players and teams are prevented from playing, and a fear therefore is those players then move away from the game and are therefore a loss both in revenue and a number

I suppose they have their reasons why they only allow a certain number of ex-pros, is it a good reason, or a bad reason, we played a game in the YML and the opposition signed 4 ex-players (I don't mean haven't played for a few years) on for that game only, we finally got beat 25 - 18 after being 14 - 0 down after the first 10 minutes, that result cost us the league.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

I suppose they have their reasons why they only allow a certain number of ex-pros, is it a good reason, or a bad reason, we played a game in the YML and the opposition signed 4 ex-players (I don't mean haven't played for a few years) on for that game only, we finally got beat 25 - 18 after being 14 - 0 down after the first 10 minutes, that result cost us the league.

Signing players on that haven't played for years for 1 particular game is a problem in itself. Whether that be ex pro or not, surely if they haven't played for years then that teams hampered anyway and should be beatable.

The fact that teams cannot play a fixture, or are left short due to certain rules, ie too many ex pros, and what classes as an ex pro is a different argument again, then this is a problem also. Especially in the current climate when playing numbers, and the amount of teams are dwindling. Everything should be done to get players playing, not the other way around. 

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

And also, 1 result doesn't cost you the league. Being the best over the full season results in being champions. 

1 hour ago, usain bolt said:

Signing players on that haven't played for years for 1 particular game is a problem in itself. Whether that be ex pro or not, surely if they haven't played for years then that teams hampered anyway and should be beatable.

The fact that teams cannot play a fixture, or are left short due to certain rules, ie too many ex pros, and what classes as an ex pro is a different argument again, then this is a problem also. Especially in the current climate when playing numbers, and the amount of teams are dwindling. Everything should be done to get players playing, not the other way around. 

Who said the four players had not played for years?

Any way as soon as they had signed for that game they became EX-Pro's and yes I agree we need to get players playing but having mercenary players going from club to club is an idea way to get less players playing IMO

As for one game not being decisive is also a load of chum, up to that game we'd been beat once away by a very good Wolf Hunt side, I could go on and say we went with a weak team but we always played with the squad we had available and never gave it a thought to play the covid card and then play a 4 pointer when we had a full strength team, we reversed the Wolf Hunt result with comfort a few weeks later and we'd already beaten the banana skin team of the division twice, the team I'm on about had also only lost the once 52 - 28 and that was to us at our place, two weeks earlier, so the scene was set, the winners of this particular game would more or less become champions, no disrespect to the couple of teams both had left to play.

On 19/11/2021 at 18:14, Marauder said:

Who said the four players had not played for years?

Any way as soon as they had signed for that game they became EX-Pro's and yes I agree we need to get players playing but having mercenary players going from club to club is an idea way to get less players playing IMO

As for one game not being decisive is also a load of chum, up to that game we'd been beat once away by a very good Wolf Hunt side, I could go on and say we went with a weak team but we always played with the squad we had available and never gave it a thought to play the covid card and then play a 4 pointer when we had a full strength team, we reversed the Wolf Hunt result with comfort a few weeks later and we'd already beaten the banana skin team of the division twice, the team I'm on about had also only lost the once 52 - 28 and that was to us at our place, two weeks earlier, so the scene was set, the winners of this particular game would more or less become champions, no disrespect to the couple of teams both had left to play.

Miss read the not played for a few years bit you put, reading it back, don't quite get what you actually mean 'I don't mean haven't played for a few years'. 

You obviously know who and how the results went during the season, who was strongest and who probably should have won the league. Signing 4 ex players on for 1 game shouldn't be allowed I guess for the last game, that's were the rules fall down, and being ex players surely that's ok to resign. Surely there should be a cut off point for signing players on, that's were the rules need looking at, and not just because they're an ex pro player. 

If a player has played pro, surely he's ex pro when he's finished playing pro whether he signs on or not. 

1 hour ago, usain bolt said:

Miss read the not played for a few years bit you put, reading it back, don't quite get what you actually mean 'I don't mean haven't played for a few years'. 

You obviously know who and how the results went during the season, who was strongest and who probably should have won the league. Signing 4 ex players on for 1 game shouldn't be allowed I guess for the last game, that's were the rules fall down, and being ex players surely that's ok to resign. Surely there should be a cut off point for signing players on, that's were the rules need looking at, and not just because they're an ex pro player. 

If a player has played pro, surely he's ex pro when he's finished playing pro whether he signs on or not. 

I agree, at present we have a lot of areas open to be exploited by the cutest clubs, I also understand why but find it odd that other areas (paperwork etc) is so strict to get a team on the park.

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

I agree, at present we have a lot of areas open to be exploited by the cutest clubs, I also understand why but find it odd that other areas (paperwork etc) is so strict to get a team on the park.

Agree, only in rugby league do we make it so hard for players to play, certain rules do need keeping and others tweeking for the benefit of the sport and clubs, obviously ensuring everything is fair and square. Penalizing players for me, just because they've played professional is a negative, the sport needs as many players as possible playing.

7 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Agree, only in rugby league do we make it so hard for players to play, certain rules do need keeping and others tweeking for the benefit of the sport and clubs, obviously ensuring everything is fair and square. Penalizing players for me, just because they've played professional is a negative, the sport needs as many players as possible playing.

No need to penalise anyone, but you have to also protect, if you get 4 players who have just been released by a pro club and they all trundle down to a division 5 YML team to play, you then get a high chance of someone getting hurt, it's like putting 12 year-olds in to play against 9 year olds in some cases, I do understand if the same 4 players went to a NCL club their impact would probably not be noticed, so which would be the most negative, a demoralised & disheartened team or a number of players capable of playing at a far higher level. 

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

No need to penalise anyone, but you have to also protect, if you get 4 players who have just been released by a pro club and they all trundle down to a division 5 YML team to play, you then get a high chance of someone getting hurt, it's like putting 12 year-olds in to play against 9 year olds in some cases, I do understand if the same 4 players went to a NCL club their impact would probably not be noticed, so which would be the most negative, a demoralised & disheartened team or a number of players capable of playing at a far higher level. 

Agree again, but why would an ex pro level player want to be playing at such a low level of rugby, especially so many at once. It would show what sort of personality they really are. If that's the level they see themselves at, basically a walk in the park, then that's a problem in itself. Can't be stopped as players can choose to play for anyone, anywhere, but surely if the ex pro is still up to a decent level of standard then he want to carry on playing at a standard appropriate.

12 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Agree again, but why would an ex pro level player want to be playing at such a low level of rugby, especially so many at once. It would show what sort of personality they really are. If that's the level they see themselves at, basically a walk in the park, then that's a problem in itself. Can't be stopped as players can choose to play for anyone, anywhere, but surely if the ex pro is still up to a decent level of standard then he want to carry on playing at a standard appropriate.

You need to ask them why they signed to play at that level for a one off game  and If I'm honest, they are a cracking side without the players they signed and wouldn't be out of place in the YML Premier or 1st division.

12 hours ago, Marauder said:

You need to ask them why they signed to play at that level for a one off game  and If I'm honest, they are a cracking side without the players they signed and wouldn't be out of place in the YML Premier or 1st division.

Like I said, the rules to allow them to sign on for a very last game rather than having a deadline to sign on for would stop this and is a problem, not the fact they're ex pro. This way they'd have probably played maybe a minimum more games. 

The fact they're dropping down to lower levels, probably a level easier for them is beneficial for the team they're with, helping out, improving the players around them etc etc, but is also a detriment to the opposition and game itself if it becomes a lopsided game or damages the players they're up against. It is a problem but the individuals themselves probably need to look at the overall situation and think is this really a good thing, The league does too, but stopping players playing because they are ex pro, isnt the answer for me, but some rules do need sorting out to prevent whats going on.

regarding ex pros, the league need to specify what is an ex pro, how many new players can be included on match day. perhaps a 14 day rule to qualify for a match also. once played for a club you cannot play for another unless for exceptional reasons in the same season. eg not just short of players! 

11 hours ago, kev p said:

regarding ex pros, the league need to specify what is an ex pro, how many new players can be included on match day. perhaps a 14 day rule to qualify for a match also. once played for a club you cannot play for another unless for exceptional reasons in the same season. eg not just short of players! 

The NCL does so specify.

Check out competition rules 6 and 7. on the website.

31st August is cut off date for ' internal signings,'  some small latitudes given for brand new players thereafter . Stricter rules for those trying to sign ex pro's as season comes to a close.

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

Heard it is Bentley and Seaton Rangers, clubs are voting this week to see if they accept them or not.

Bentley are working hard moving forward, they don't have a clubhouse at the moment but Doncaster council are building a community centre with changing rooms and bar on their old ground and they are moving back there.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Bentley are working hard moving forward, they don't have a clubhouse at the moment but Doncaster council are building a community centre with changing rooms and bar on their old ground and they are moving back there.

The council arnt building a community centre. It’s Bentleys own clubhouse. Plans can be found on the clubs newsletter that was posted on the Twitter and Facebook page. 

3 hours ago, usain bolt said:

How have both clubs fared over the last few seasons? Nice to see new faces entering the ncl leagues, and showing ambition. Hope it goes well for both clubs. 

Bentley have been in the top 2 or three in the YML Premier for the last 3 or 4 years, good side and should go well.

Archived