Ottawa aces

DEANO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost as if a transatlantic league is financially and logistically unviable. Who knew?!

Would Hemel not be a good place to relocate the license? After all it was their's in the first place. 

As for Ottawa,  surely they will join the Canadian/American league and help that grow. 

Another fantasy thread, great timing with the season ending today.

I’ll throw Norwich’s hat into the ring then, only one other pro sports team in the county, they could play at Carrow Road, great transport links to the Heartlands along the A47/A17, hourly train to Liverpool that goes via Sheffield, Manchester and Warrington - the perfect location, come on Eric spunk your money here. 

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It's almost as if a transatlantic league is financially and logistically invisible. Who knew?!

Would Hemel not be a good place to relocate the license? After all it was there's in the first place. 

As for Ottawa,  surely the will join the Canadian/American league and help that grow. 

It could have worked if the SL clubs wanted it to, they were against Toronto from the off though. 

6 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Without billionaire backing, it never would have. 

They had a very wealthy backer, that wasn’t the issue, it was the SL clubs who panic if they go within 5 miles of the M62 who didn’t want it to happen. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They had a very wealthy backer, that wasn’t the issue, it was the SL clubs who panic if they go within 5 miles of the M62 who didn’t want it to happen. 

Unfortunately billionaire's have a tendency to get bored, leaving their employee's in the lurch. 

Personally I think the game is better served with that money funding a professional NA league and opening up brand new opportunities for all RL players on the otherside of the pond as opposed to having a team based in Manchester who fly out to Toronto to play a batch of home games. Pretty sure the Canadian supporters will also be more enthused by playing teams from places they are aware of as opposed to small northern English towns such as Wigan and St Helens. 

5 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Unfortunately billionaire's have a tendency to get bored, leaving their employee's in the lurch. 

Personally I think the game is better served with that money funding a professional NA league and opening up brand new opportunities for all RL players on the otherside of the pond as opposed to having a team based in Manchester who fly out to Toronto to play a batch of home games. Pretty sure the Canadian supporters will also be more enthused by playing teams from places they are aware of as opposed to small northern English towns such as Wigan and St Helens. 

It costs far more to set up a new league, and has far greater risk, than joining an existing one. 

Hi.  On the billionaires get bored thing, Roman Abramovic at Chelsea, and the mega rich family that own Manchester City would suggest that the total opposite is true.  They are still pumping billions into their clubs after years at the helm.

Toronto were stopped by one thing, and one thing only - this out of the blue pandemic.  It immediately took away all of the money that they would have made from their home games with associated merchandise etc and also had a significant impact on their own very rich owner.  The fact that he pumped a load of money into the sport was great for the sport,  What do we want, a bunch of owners without a pot to pee in renting ramshackle old stadiums with no marketing?

Just a reminder that Hemel/Ottawa don't hold a RFL "license" - there are (currently) no such things a licenses in English RL. They are members of the RFL and subject to the rules of that club. 

They can't just pitch up where they want and start a team, the rest of the RFL membership will determine whether what they propose is acceptable. On past experience, anything that intrudes on exisiting catchments (however poorly exploited) will be blocked.

Indeed, even Nottingham feels too close to the heartland player pool to be acceptable to some of the existing clubs. We'll have to see whether they can generate the votes needed to find a good spot. 

58 minutes ago, Hello said:

Hi.  On the billionaires get bored thing, Roman Abramovic at Chelsea, and the mega rich family that own Manchester City would suggest that the total opposite is true.  They are still pumping billions into their clubs after years at the helm.

Toronto were stopped by one thing, and one thing only - this out of the blue pandemic.  It immediately took away all of the money that they would have made from their home games with associated merchandise etc and also had a significant impact on their own very rich owner.  The fact that he pumped a load of money into the sport was great for the sport,  What do we want, a bunch of owners without a pot to pee in renting ramshackle old stadiums with no marketing?

For me, I'd rather the clubs be strong enough to grow, develop, compete, and not be on a whim of one person. 

Football is a different beast, there is enough reflected glory to pacify the ego to keep their attention, but I reckon they're fast approaching a point when it will all come tumbling down and a big club will be a casualty. 

31 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Roman bought Chelsea for political protection.  City is for sportswashing so the murderous dictatorship can say 'ooh look at Aguerooo ' . So neither were bought for an interest in sport. 

Roman has been to a lot of matches and has been very active in decision making so I don't agree at all.

33 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

For me, I'd rather the clubs be strong enough to grow, develop, compete, and not be on a whim of one person. 

Football is a different beast, there is enough reflected glory to pacify the ego to keep their attention, but I reckon they're fast approaching a point when it will all come tumbling down and a big club will be a casualty. 

I agree with your first paragraph fully, but some rich and committed owners in a sport sure as sugar help when it comes to marketing etc.

2 hours ago, Hello said:

Bingo. Now I know some people didn't like Toronto and/or felt threatened by them. I understand that.

However it is simply disingenuous to completely ignore the effect that Covid had and what has occurred the world over for coming up to 2 years now. Covid was the primary reason Toronto failed and the effect of lockdowns, no home games and no travel meant absolutely no income streams. This strangled the club financially especially so when they were already without central funding and couldn't even use furlough and mothball the club as all the heartland clubs did. Therefore when people are slating them it is doing so in bad faith when the primary reason, in Covid, doesn't even get a mention and they instead resort to cheap digs or untruths. 

4 hours ago, Hello said:

Not true Toronto where struggling before the pandemic.  The pandemic was just a catalyst.

14 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Their RFL licence has a value so it sounds like they are going to try and play out of Bradford in 2022 (maybe just as "The Aces") and be open to offers if anyone wants to buy their licence and relocate the club. Someone, somewhere, will be interested.

To be fair if I owned the Aces this is exactly what I would do. They simply don't have time now to set up a new club in a new location in the UK unless they've already done loads of preliminary work (which I'd say is doubtful). One year in Bradford to get the team off the ground and then a move to somewhere else. Will be quite the turnaround for Odsal if two teams are playing there! 

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

To be fair if I owned the Aces this is exactly what I would do. They simply don't have time now to set up a new club in a new location in the UK unless they've already done loads of preliminary work (which I'd say is doubtful). One year in Bradford to get the team off the ground and then a move to somewhere else. Will be quite the turnaround for Odsal if two teams are playing there! 

And who would watch such a club at Bradford?

16 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I don't think that really matters in year one. It's about getting the team going while they establish where the permanent base will be. 

It certainly does matter as means no/very little income whilst costing a fortune for no discernable benefit.

Archived