Ottawa aces

DEANO

15 hours ago, Big Picture said:

With the future of League 1 in doubt, anyone funding a new club would want to move up through the tiers sharpish and that would take serious money.  The difficulties in getting players to move from the heartlands being what they are, the players needed for such a climb wouldn't be cheap.

That was exactly the problem that Hemel had. Doing the same and hoping for a different outcome would seem to be unwise.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

If the people involved were worried about making money in year 1 they wouldn't have tried to set up a team in Ottawa. 

Yes because there is no difference between a consortium being prepared and wanting to spend money on setting up a club in Ottawa with the backing of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group and setting one up in Bradford where there is already a long established team.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes because there is no difference between a consortium being prepared and wanting to spend money on setting up a club in Ottawa with the backing of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group and setting one up in Bradford where there is already a long established team.

If you read what I have said I didn't say set up a team in Bradford. I said do it for one year to get off the ground and then move to where they will play longer term. I expect if they ever get started that's what they'll do. Of course they may well be able sort out a new home and get a team set up and everything that involves in the next 3 months. Should be easy enough 

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

If you read what I have said I didn't say set up a team in Bradford. I said do it for one year to get off the ground and then move to where they will play longer term. I expect if they ever get started that's what they'll do. Of course they may well be able sort out a new home and get a team set up and everything that involves in the next 3 months. Should be easy enough 

I know what you said. It was daft enough the first time, no need to repeat it.

Sorry am I the only who can’t understand how a team from another country would be able to build a substantial UK fanbase?

I assume the long term aim is to eventually play home matches in Canada?

How is this being financed? Especially considering the drop in TV money.

Am I missing something?

15 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Sorry am I the only who can’t understand how a team from another country would be able to build a substantial UK fanbase?

Am I missing something?

It has no Canadian involvement whatsoever except perhaps investment by Perez. This is my understanding anyhow.

24 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Am I missing something?

The license owned by Hemel was bought by Perez. Effectively he or whoever else involved can set up wherever they want subject to RFL approval. And they aren't a team, they were formed specifically to play in the English game and have to date never played a match. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Struggling, like signing the world’s most famous Union player? 

Like not paying the TV company who filmed their matches, or not paying the £10k transfer fee for Caton-Brown until Trinity refused to release his registration and the RFL intervened. The SBW episode Argyle waving his wealth about, the club itself was a sham. The pandemic probably brought the inevitable forward a season or two, but the trajectory was already set.

Far better Toulouse are in the top flight than Toronto.

54 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Am I missing something?

I think the club should get potential fans to sign a pledge, and then if the club get a certain number, say 10,000 pledges, then those supporters can purchase a season ticket for say, £60.

19 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Like not paying the TV company who filmed their matches, or not paying the £10k transfer fee for Caton-Brown until Trinity refused to release his registration and the RFL intervened. The SBW episode Argyle waving his wealth about, the club itself was a sham. The pandemic probably brought the inevitable forward a season or two, but the trajectory was already set.

Far better Toulouse are in the top flight than Toronto.

Caton Brown ? , Where is he now ?

When it comes to expansion, I do wonder whether going for a "slow burner" approach might actually be more successful than targeting relatively far-flung, larger areas. So for instance you set up a club in an area that's next to established RL areas (for the sake of argument say Chesterfield). Some people there may have an interest in the sport/be familiar with it already - build it there then expand again etc. I'd imagine it like the expansion of country building an empire almost.

Of course I might also be talking complete ######!

29 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Toronto and Ottowa can only work like the SA teams in the other code, if they are franchised in and come with a tv deal.  That ship has sailed but I still think we can help them by getting France to go play Canada or a 9's int tournament over there.  

For the new uk team.  Get in the pyramid this year but we shouldnt allow in any new team that cannot generate revenue.  Harrogate could have been a good option but now they are in FL with no 3g pitch I dont see it myself.

Top choice would be Manchester otherwise you need millions to develop or joint develop a stadium that can make money.  

It's Ottawa, not "Ottowa", haven't you learned that in all this time?

With the sort of Canadians the unpaid ranks which exist here at present can attract, France coming over to play Canada would likely see France put even more points on the board than in 1995.  Fresh off the plane on their way back home from New Zealand I watched as they put 72 points past that Canadian team.

10 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

When it comes to expansion, I do wonder whether going for a "slow burner" approach might actually be more successful than targeting relatively far-flung, larger areas. So for instance you set up a club in an area that's next to established RL areas (for the sake of argument say Chesterfield). Some people there may have an interest in the sport/be familiar with it already - build it there then expand again etc. I'd imagine it like the expansion of country building an empire almost.

This type of expension should have been actioned and operated by the RFL IMO , Stoke would have been a close enough but far enough away place to set up a team , close enough to pull some players from the heartlands without relocation , pay a former SL player as player/coach , maybe another as CEO/General Manager , look to draw in some local union players and have a development team looking at schools and colleges 

Fund it for 10 years , then see if you've built enough interest to draw in some local investment to take it on from there 

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, the Canadian 'business' has been 'wound up' and there will be no involvement or input from Ottawa in future

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

I agree. Not every expansion project has to aim to be in Super League playing in front of 10,0000 fans within 10 years.

League 1 clubs in expansion areas should be following the Coventry model. Build-up local grassroots league structures, invest in development officers and get local kids playing and watching rugby league. Build good relationships with local universities and businesses.

If a non-heartlands club can attract the sustainable investment of a Newcastle or Toulouse then fantastic but that is not the be all and end all. 

1 hour ago, Billy King's Boots said:

As Belle Vue Aces?

Rangers sounds better.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but I would like it to be somewhere where the ambition is to grow to a level where they are at least knocking on the door for SL.

Oh of course but I think a bottom-up approach is better over here until/unless licencing is ever reintroduced.  

8 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

Not true Toronto where struggling before the pandemic.  The pandemic was just a catalyst.

Yep, struggling so much that a couple of months prior to the pandemic they requested that they could be an exemption to the wage cap and pay even more money to players in order to strengthen their squad.

Archived