Ottawa aces

DEANO

7 minutes ago, Hello said:

Yep, struggling so much that a couple of months prior to the pandemic they requested that they could be an exemption to the wage cap and pay even more money to players in order to strengthen their squad.

Vanity project by Argyle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

Vanity project by Argyle

Which was completely undermined by covid, doh!  Or maybe you predicted that Covid would happen, I certainly didn't.  Anyway, let bygones be bygones and all that.......

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but I would like it to be somewhere where the ambition is to grow to a level where they are at least knocking on the door for SL.

We all would SB, we’re sadsack RL fans, however unless you have money to invest yourself you’re just dreaming. 

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but I would like it to be somewhere where the ambition is to grow to a level where they are at least knocking on the door for SL.

But you have no way of knowing for sure where that will be , sustainable clubs at whatever level they can be is or should be the aim 

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

But you have no way of knowing for sure where that will be , sustainable clubs at whatever level they can be is or should be the aim 

Agreed, or "lacking ambition" in the eyes of some supporters.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 23/10/2021 at 19:49, Ray Cashmere said:

I agree. Not every expansion project has to aim to be in Super League playing in front of 10,0000 fans within 10 years.

League 1 clubs in expansion areas should be following the Coventry model. Build-up local grassroots league structures, invest in development officers and get local kids playing and watching rugby league. Build good relationships with local universities and businesses.

If a non-heartlands club can attract the sustainable investment of a Newcastle or Toulouse then fantastic but that is not the be all and end all. 

Sound thinking. But can we say that whoever is behind Hemel Ottawa Aces are thinking like this or is it another speculative vanity project again?

Indeed who are the people behind the Aces?

They don't seem very Canadian anymore.

And am I alone in thinking there is something a little "curious" about them possibly playing at Bradford, given the various RFL and ex RFL links?

It all seems a little unprofessional, make it up as you go along and a tad "chummy" for my liking.

3 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Sound thinking. But are whoever is behind Hemel Ottawa Aces thinking like this or is it another speculative vanity project again?

Indeed who are the people behind the Aces?

They don't seem very Canadian anymore.

And am I alone in thinking there is something a little "curious" about them possibly playing at Bradford, given the various RFL and ex RFL links?

I think "spurious" may be the word you are looking for

Archived