Sat 23rd Oct: Intl: France v England KO 2.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France by 13 points or more
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/21 at 14:00

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will look out for the tv figures. Then both Eng and France can go to sponsors with another game to say 'Look, what is another prime time BBC One clash with X viewers worth to you? '

Or we could have France play a knights team...

Who cares if they arent the full squads or no NRL players? The public won't.  Feels like the start of something special...

How does the saying go? Rugby league never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity?...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

For heaven's sake just get England playing more internationals.

Exactly! For one thing, it might* stop people making blanket, for-all-time, judgements about players, based on a single international performance.

*it probably won't, of course.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The ref allowed too much working on the ground after the tackle was complete.

I suspect most members would agree, but when they come on here to complain too many start going on about bloody "wrestling", which is meaningless. If we want to tidy up the ruck, the remedies must relate specifically to the rulebook, and distinguish between before and after completion.

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Whilst I know this isn’t the England World Cup team I do think it’s served to illustrate that certain players should not be considered for the World Cup.

Reece Lyne is not good enough & has no fine Centre skills 

Zak Hardaker is too easy to defend and dominate

Farrell runs great lines but is too small to play against the Top Tier teams

Bateman on the form of the last 12 months has lost that je ne sais quoi that helped to compensate for his small stature

Philbins game is ineffective at International level

Leeming is not a replacement half, maybe at Hooker but we don’t know

Oledski needs to find some fire and aggression to make his size tell on the defences

And Lomax is never an international stand off, if Wolfe doesn't shove him to full back next season in favour of Welsby partnering Dodd then there is something very wrong in his identifying his best team selection.

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Another point about the timing of the fixture..... surely this should be mid season, when France are likely to have less players out through injury after a long season? 

Indeed. But in an alternate Universe we would have just seen England beat Samoa in front of a full house at St James's Park to get their World Cup underway.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The last tour down under and results this year make me think England will not go very far at the next WC, whenever that takes place. Southern Hemisphere teams are now clearly above recent England performances, even allowing for availability.

Not good at one level but a positive in that a Northern Hemisphere international series could include a full England siide and with some competitive games.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not this time surely.  Game in summer  (I dont care about NRL players not being available) in Avignon . Then we have them in group stages at home in November.  Then in 2023 we can go bk to France again. 

England vs France and All Stars 

France vs England and Wales 

Wales vs France and Ireland 

Ireland vs Wales and Scotland

Scotland vs Ireland and Jamaica 

Jamaica vs Scotland and England Knights 

2 games each mid season for NH teams

Really enjoyed that.

Plenty of positives for France (and Catalans). Mourgue needs to be playing at 6 regularly in SL and TO could do a lot worse than bring in a few of those on the fringe of the Catalans 17 in Seguier, Laguerre & Le Cam. Sangare could be anything as well.

Philbin, Lyne, Currie, Hardaker, Evalds and Abdull can't seriously be in our World Cup squad for me but I'm not too concerned.

Thompson, T. Burgess, Williams, Whitehead Tomkins, Clark, Newman, Percival/Farnworth and Welsby  make us a completely different proposition.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. But in an alternate Universe we would have just seen England beat Samoa in front of a full house at St James's Park to get their World Cup underway.

You honestly believe that?

I would have done a couple or three of years ago, but now I am not so sure, the lack of world international fixtures has kept England up in the standings there is nothing to measure against, watching both the SL and NRL in the last couple of years and comparing playing awareness, speed, skill, abillity and intensity I am  honestly fearful that we have gone backwards whilst they have improved and all players whichever of the better countries they represent will be better for it.

Just my opinion of course.

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Another point about the timing of the fixture..... surely this should be mid season, when France are likely to have less players out through injury after a long season? 

The mid-season tests have been the worst ones due to an over-reliance on Catalans players, so they all pull out with knocks or injuries.

Should be better now there are 2 French sides, but could still have the same issues. Catalans and Toulouse shouldn't be playing that weekend (would have sense to have them scheduled that weekend but moved to a different weekend).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

maybe a blessing in disguise the wc is not happening - their could be some embarrassing scorelines if the likes of reece lynn, hardaker  and lomax were to come up against mitchell - turbo- teddy - cleary etc - they would have posted 120 past the french today and 80 against that fourth rate rabble - at least jp broke the record for saying "and a fink" most times on tv in 80mins 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

maybe a blessing in disguise the wc is not happening - their could be some embarrassing scorelines if the likes of reece lynn, hardaker  and lomax were to come up against mitchell - turbo- teddy - cleary etc - they would have posted 120 past the french today and 80 against that fourth rate rabble - at least jp broke the record for saying "and a fink" most times on tv in 80mins 

Look at you with your Turbo and Teddy nicknames. So cute.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Whilst I know this isn’t the England World Cup team I do think it’s served to illustrate that certain players should not be considered for the World Cup.

Reece Lyne is not good enough & has no fine Centre skills 

Zak Hardaker is too easy to defend and dominate

Farrell runs great lines but is too small to play against the Top Tier teams

Bateman on the form of the last 12 months has lost that je ne sais quoi that helped to compensate for his small stature

Philbins game is ineffective at International level

Leeming is not a replacement half, maybe at Hooker but we don’t know

Oledski needs to find some fire and aggression to make his size tell on the defences

Thought Oledski did OK... the ball nearly always went the other side to Oledski so he didn't get many opportunities to run with the ball... when he did he made yards. McShane did seem to favour one side.  Oledski plays more with his head/brain, has a nice pass and was always making the extra tackler when needed and to help slow down play.

Too be honest I didn't realise Leeming was playing half, thought he was playing hooker to my eyes... 

Oledzki was much better than Philbin but he needs a big season with Leeds next season to make the 17. The talent is there. 

Wane now needs to ruthless with the ones who aren't test level I'd rather see some of the Knights who may be being targeted at the next world cup thrown in than solid but unspectacular SL players supposedly at their 'peak' and players out of position.

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

There was not enough evidence to suggest Lomax would have got near enough to affect the passage of play. If running in the general direction of play is enough to influence video ref decisions, then we are going to see a lot more controversial decisions.

In general I agree about the too rigid interpretation of obstruction. In particular, the "running behind your own player" nonsense.

However, I wouldn`t call this incident obstruction. A defender was taken out off the ball. The runner initiated the contact. Clearly illegal. If the defender had similarly taken the runner out, it would have been a penalty the other way. The same ruling would apply anywhere on the field.

18 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

England vs France and All Stars 

France vs England and Wales 

Wales vs France and Ireland 

Ireland vs Wales and Scotland

Scotland vs Ireland and Jamaica 

Jamaica vs Scotland and England Knights 

2 games each mid season for NH teams

Scratch England Knights, making someone else's national team play England's reserve team is insulting to that other nation.

Archived