Sat 23rd Oct: Intl: France v England KO 2.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France by 13 points or more
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/21 at 14:00

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In general I agree about the too rigid interpretation of obstruction. In particular, the "running behind your own player" nonsense.

I completely agree.  The rule book defines obstruction as "impeding an opponent who does not have the ball", in my view that can only apply to an act of one of the ball carrier's teammates but never to the ball carrier as the latter is seeking to avoid contact with the opponents so as to advance the ball.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Does anyone know what the crowd was?

it was a charity supergroup led by gerry marsden of gerry and the pacemakers to raise money for the bradford city fire disaster 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

if you had to put your life savings on the question "do you think you will see england beat australia in your lifetime?" would you put it on yes or no? cmon - be honest 

Please please please let that be the last time I see Hardaker play at centre for England.  He isn't even a good centre at club level and should be nowhere near an international side.  Lyne is not good enough either.

We have young, athletic centres in Newman and Wardle in Super League and Farnworth and Young in the NRL.  Farnworth and Newman would make that side today 100% better with their running.

Burgess, Thompson and Sutton add size to a pack to complement Walmsley, Oledzki and Cooper. 

Whitehead would be on one edge and I would be tempted to give McMeeken a shot internationally as he adds much needed size on the edge.

Some guile from Tomkins at fullback, Welsby and Clark in the 17 to add some x factor and we have a very different side.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That first 20 minutes from France was shambolic. They improved into the game and England were pretty underwhelming.

Sangare could be an absolute superstar. Huge potential 

One of the most positive things today was that France, having started so badly and shipped so many points, were able to snap out of it and turn their performance around. In some games it can take 'til half time and a good talking-to from the coach, or a bad side just remain bad all game.

Substituting Jussaume out of his misery was part of it, but it also points to a positive team spirit, belief and on-field leadership.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

A big worry I have for 2022 is Wane's formulaic interviews - is he really so lacking in RL knowledge? - and his being so stubborn selection-wise. 

He was like Pinocchio telling fibs very surprised his nose didn't start growing as I was watching the post match interview.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not sure about that, the French player clearly had momentum, what's he meant to do? Make like Capt Kirk and vanish? 

He`s meant to keep to the inside shoulder so he can go through the line.

In my view, he should also be permitted to stop, even if it`s in the defensive line. A player who is static shouldn`t be deemed guilty of obstruction. The responsibility should be on defenders to adjust.

It is different when a player moves into an opponent off the ball, initiating significant contact. As I said in the previous post, that would be illegal anywhere on the field.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Please please please let that be the last time I see Hardaker play at centre for England.  He isn't even a good centre at club level and should be nowhere near an international side.  Lyne is not good enough either.

We have young, athletic centres in Newman and Wardle in Super League and Farnworth and Young in the NRL.  Farnworth and Newman would make that side today 100% better with their running.

Burgess, Thompson and Sutton add size to a pack to complement Walmsley, Oledzki and Cooper. 

Whitehead would be on one edge and I would be tempted to give McMeeken a shot internationally as he adds much needed size on the edge.

Some guile from Tomkins at fullback, Welsby and Clark in the 17 to add some x factor and we have a very different side.

so basically replace that entire side that played today with a different side and different players

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You honestly believe that?

I would have done a couple or three of years ago, but now I am not so sure, the lack of world international fixtures has kept England up in the standings there is nothing to measure against, watching both the SL and NRL in the last couple of years and comparing playing awareness, speed, skill, abillity and intensity I am  honestly fearful that we have gone backwards whilst they have improved and all players whichever of the better countries they represent will be better for it.

Just my opinion of course.

@Dunbarnot like you to avoid a reply to your post!

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

@Dunbarnot like you to avoid a reply to your post!

The one on the Samoa game.

My post was mostly a lament about not having a World Cup start today.

But yes, given the right selection I think we top the group in the World Cup and make the semi's. After that, I don't know.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I don't think Joe Bloggs would know or particularly care that the NRL contingent were absent.

have just rang by mate joseph f bloggs and asked him- he was out shopping with the mrs at the trafford centre and hung up on me 

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

maybe a blessing in disguise the wc is not happening - their could be some embarrassing scorelines if the likes of reece lynn, hardaker  and lomax were to come up against mitchell - turbo- teddy - cleary etc - they would have posted 120 past the french today and 80 against that fourth rate rabble - at least jp broke the record for saying "and a fink" most times on tv in 80mins 

I think the Aussies have enough problems trying to beat Tonga.

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if you had to put your life savings on the question "do you think you will see england beat australia in your lifetime?" would you put it on yes or no? cmon - be honest 

Will or could,

Answer, maybe not, but possible. 

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

With the average age on here that's not much of a bet.

Some of us here were mostly disappointed that the World Cup was postponed for a year 'cause we were worried we weren't going to make it that far!

Dave Woods - "Reece Lyne has only 1 previous England cap, back in July 2018" - Hopefully it will be another 3 years before he gets selected again, he looked like a fan who had won a raffle.

I think we took them for granted a bit as we built up an early lead, it could have come to bit us on the bum but luckily France are ######.

26 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Round it up to a tenner for me Johnny and we’ll lump on 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m sure Makinson also hopes Hardaker never plays centre for England again 

his mums just knocked on our door with the petition 

Archived