Sat 23rd Oct: Intl: France v England KO 2.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France by 13 points or more
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/21 at 14:00

Just now, yanto said:

No I'm 1000% RL

Found a bar in PDC Lanzarote who were willing to show the game against Premier League Football.

A lot of guys in their late fifties early sixties..old skool...we're also interested..Widnes  Saints guys who didn't know it was on.

After 20 minutes the game had gone.

France were aweful...any one disagree!

But if we can't keep "old league guys" interested and we can't get new people interested (and that today won't have grabbed a new audience then the game is in trouble. 

The game could easily have been 10-20 on 50 mins and the same again on 54 mins. Respectfully, anyone who switched off at 20 mins probably wasn't much interested to start with.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed it. I was worried after 20 minutes, but relaxed after 30 minutes. France showed bags of promise. The problem with our game, though, is that the better team will win very often. You only 2/3 weak links, and you will find yourself shipping 30 points. I am not sure how many more France can add to their team, but if they are slightly stronger then there is no excuse for England’s not playing them much more frequently. 

14 minutes ago, yanto said:

No I'm 1000% RL

Found a bar in PDC Lanzarote who were willing to show the game against Premier League Football.

A lot of guys in their late fifties early sixties..old skool...we're also interested..Widnes  Saints guys who didn't know it was on.

After 20 minutes the game had gone.

France were aweful...any one disagree!

But if we can't keep "old league guys" interested and we can't get new people interested (and that today won't have grabbed a new audience )then the game is in trouble. 

You make it sound like no team ever races into a big lead after 20 mins. I've seen Australia do similar to England/GB and it happens countless times in Super League. 

11 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

The game could easily have been 10-20 on 50 mins and the same again on 54 mins. Respectfully, anyone who switched off at 20 mins probably wasn't much interested to start with.

Serious. 

We have an international game live on BBC .

"Respectfully anyone who switched off after 20 minutes" may never switch on again .

Thats the  point. 

Prune tune Free to air TV and for tge casual/new fan it was over as a contest after 20 minutes 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

You make it sound like no team ever races into a big lead after 20 mins. I've seen Australia do similar to England/GB and it happens countless times in Super League. 

No we are talking about Catalan, Tolouse  and today France..

The up and coming in the game.

THE NEW ERA on Prime time free to air TV.

After 20  minutes neutral/ new fans would have switched off.

I know a lot of guys I sat with did.

4 minutes ago, yanto said:

Maybe the problem lies with the lot of guys you sit with 🙂

2 minutes ago, yanto said:

And?? We play so few internationals that every one becomes so overly important. Many times I’ve watched football games where a team is 3-0 Up after half an hour and it’s pretty much over.

if France had got off to a better start, instead of all those stupid errors, it could have been different but this is sport and these things happen.

2 minutes ago, yanto said:

I admire the confidence to state with such certainty that a group of middle aged blokes on the ###### in Lanzarote are representative of the viewing public. 

I know mates who watched their first England game today and really enjoyed it. I better go and tell them they're wrong...

An international match in any other sport wouldn't claim to have so many people so desperate to switch off as soon as the match began to improve.

Rugby League really is a death cult for some people.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I know mates who watched their first England game today and really enjoyed it. I better go and tell them they're wrong...

Don't neglect the finger-wagging; it's important.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I admire the confidence to state with such certainty that a group of middle aged blokes on the ###### in Lanzarote are representative of the viewing public. 

Not just middle-aged blokes..🙃

8 minutes ago, yanto said:

That's not what we are talking about though. 

You just seem to be having a good moan on the back of the best French performance for years because they froze in the first 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, yanto said:

So I guess today was a great success. 

Sorry my bad.

By the end of the match, it turned out to be a good contest, despite the poor start. That's how people usually judge a sporting occasion. France fought back, and tested England for an hour out of the 80 minutes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That's not what we are talking about though. 

You just seem to be having a good moan on the back of the best French performance for years because they froze in the first 20 minutes. 

No I'm talking about another chance to push the game on Free to air TV.

I'm sure someone will come up with the BBC viewing figures and the drop off after 20 minutes.

There's no point in arguing.

Those who like to complain will complain and will always find a way to complain. Whether it's the score, the location or anything else.

For sure it's easier to not fail at something when you aren't doing anything productive. Better not try to do something you might fail.

Does anyone get the feeling that, for a certain morbid minority of RL fans, France's comeback was the worst possible thing that could have happened?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, yanto said:

Sorry my bad.

No it wasn’t a huge total roaring success. If I wasn’t a RL fan I might have switched off too - thankfully the game as a contest got much better. However…

Successes from today…

1) Live national free TV coverage of two games (a few weeks ago we thought this wouldn’t happen)

2) Not a big crowd by amy means but looked fine on TV

3) A ‘run-out’ for England when they wouldn’t otherwise have one

4) At times it was an exciting contest with some good passages of play (some of it was **** especially that first 20)

4) France showed real promise. The score flattered England in the end. Not much of a claim but the closest France have been to us for decades.

I’d say that’s not bad considering the mess of the World Cup cancellation.

3 minutes ago, yanto said:

Sorry my bad.

It doesn't have to be either the complete disaster that you claim or a great success which no one has actually claimed.

It was a success though. Far more of a success than the last few England v France games. It looked okay on national TV and was a desperately needed international. France showed major improvement and there were a lot of green shoots for the future. They can only grow on the back of this with Toulouse now in Super League. Indeed it was the best I have seen France play for quite some time and they didn't fade. The vast majority on here also enjoyed it so it certainly can't have been as bad as you claim.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Does anyone get the feeling that, for a certain morbid minority of RL fans, France's comeback was the worst possible thing that could have happened?

I seem to think far too often that no one hates RL more than RL fans....

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I seem to think far too often that no one hates RL more than RL fans....

There's one particular TRL member who posts minor variations on "FFS, this game is dire" on every single match thread, regardless of whether the match was good, bad or average.

He probably hasn't read Aesop's fable about the boy who cried "wolf".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived