Sat 23rd Oct: Intl: France v England KO 2.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France by 13 points or more
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/21 at 14:00

3 hours ago, Damien said:

You make it sound like no team ever races into a big lead after 20 mins. I've seen Australia do similar to England/GB and it happens countless times in Super League. 

His point is that you don't want that to happen when you're trying to attract new fans, because — especially when the visitors put up that big lead — that will turn them off.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Ironically, our blowout obsessive @Sports Prophet stuck with it. And says he enjoyed it.

Widest margins were 20-0 and 30-4. I`ll make a note of those for future reference.

How did I know you would be around the corner waiting to pick me up about the blowout score? 🤔

I was in a fortunate position of turning the game on about 40 minutes late. Fast forwarding through half time, turnovers and conversion attempts was a big help, otherwise, I would likely have been like @The Rocket

Although @The Rocket’s actions of turning the game off after 20 minutes (similar to many I would anticipate) only goes on to reinforce my point that the close and competitive fixtures are pivotal to holding a maximum audience.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

People are here not understanding how difficult it was to catch Jordan Abdull's bombs in direct sunlight and streaking shade lines, that was the cause of several of the French errors. Khereillah is normally very safe under the bomb. 

I understand your point but he  doesn't have that standard of kick to deal with usually, and hasn't for a number of seasons.

Arthur took a great catch in the sun so it was possible. The others were letting the ball bounce which I don't like.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

You're with Stevo there. I remember him saying almost every week 'you never let a Rugby League ball bounce'. If only Stevo had been in charge 😝

That must be where I got it from John. 

I agree with you it was a good game. I like the internationals in France as there is more atmosphere. 

The positive thing for France is that:

1. They have injured players to come back such as Bousquet, Da Costa, Garcia, Fages, Marcon 

2. They have very good young players that can come into the team in the future such as Rouge, Salabio 

3. The young players that played today will get better 

4. The Toulouse players will be more prepared after a season in SL. I felt like they were not used to being challenged after a dominant season in the Championship 

11 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

1. They have injured players to come back such as Bousquet, Da Costa, Garcia, Fages, Marcon 

2. They have very good young players that can come into the team in the future such as Rouge, Salabio 

4. The Toulouse players will be more prepared after a season in SL. I felt like they were not used to being challenged after a dominant season in the Championship 

Your point being?

8 minutes ago, Hello said:

That they are improving and the gap is narrowing. What's your point?

Not sure about that, if England would have been playing Australia or NZ maybe 5 or 6 players from our team would have been selected. It was a 'weakened' England side that played poorly in the last 20 minutes of the 1st half, but France were the better team 2nd half. Maybe France's next game should be against someone like Fiji, PNG or Samoa before the world cup starts. 

56 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If all the international teams could field their best world cup 17, where do you think France and England would be? 

As a guess, would it be 2nd and 5th?

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

One swallow does not make a summer Frisky old boy, I was at that game in Auckland, Aus after a dominant start took their foot of the gas and gave Tonga some momentum which to their credit they built on, lightining does not strike twice in the same place meaning it will not ever happen again, the sun shone for Mate Ma'a that day there will only be dark clouds in the future for them.

If you want to have a private wager PM me.

What are you babbling on about?

What this forum really wants to know is who is your grandson backing for next year now he says SL is dead??🤔

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

If all the international teams could field their best world cup 17, where do you think France and England would be? 

lol. that French squad couldn’t beat Jamaica. 

25 minutes ago, Niels said:

I couldn't agree France would be second but your England rating sounds about right. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

What are you babbling on about?

What this forum really wants to know is who is your grandson backing for next year now he says SL is dead??🤔

I heard he put a bet on the U.S in the union. He`s good at picking winners.

How good is international RL.

Just finished up watching on delay, feared for the worst after 20 but France were the best side for 50 minutes in the end. Couldn't ice a couple of their chances and got very unlucky with Lyne not being binned on half time. Neither side close to full strength but it was still a very entertaining display.

Seguier made experienced internationals look silly all game which is a massive for a bloke who has been getting 15-20 mins if he's lucky in SL. Le Cam and Sangare delivered on the hype surrounding them. Goudemand and Dezaria continued the strong form they showed throughout the season at Cats. Goudemand in particular is a genuinely top quality middle and adding the best SL lock in Garcia to the french pack will strengthen them immensely. Morgan Escare deserves a big wrap for his defensive efforts while playing out of position, saved half a dozen tries with smart play out wide. Benjamin Jullien is far too good a player to not be playing regular super league, would be a very astute signing for Toulouse.

Walmsley is a cheat code, the bloke is impossible to pull down and always seems to get the arm free. Abdulls kicking was brilliant but he seemed to dip out of the game during the middle period a little. Davies managed an absolute pearler finish but then proceeded to bottle the next couple. Hardaker exposed poor Jussaume early on but Jullien managed to mostly contain him from then on. Makinson gave his all as is expected but struggled a little to make the inroads in yardage he often does, some big defensive efforts on his part as well.

Group A in the RLWC should be very interesting next year.

4 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Why do some English RL supporters enjoy the fact that we only beat France by 20 points ? Would Aussies feel the same way if they only beat England by the same margin, I very much doubt it. One word...WEIRD

I recall watching an Australian RL TV show that would show video highlights requested for matches gone by. Someone requested a match where the Kangaroos beat France by something like 70-0, in France. All the tries were shown and the commentators were waxing lyrical about the quality of the demolition job. Do you find the total indifference to the plight of the game in France at that time by those commentators and the one requesting it weird? I did. 

Fans that want to see international thrashings aren't interested in international RL flourishing, many residing in Australia falling into that category. People who want to see a competitive French team are interested in a competitive international scene and a prospering game in France. Mainly UK residents fell that way but also some broadminded antipodeans.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

12 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I recall watching an Australian RL TV show that would show video highlights requested for matches gone by. Someone requested a match where the Kangaroos beat France by something like 70-0, in France. All the tries were shown and the commentators were waxing lyrical about the quality of the demolition job. Do you find the total indifference to the plight of the game in France at that time by those commentators and the one requesting it weird? I did. 

Fans that want to see international thrashings aren't interested in international RL flourishing, many residing in Australia falling into that category. People who want to see a competitive French team are interested in a competitive international scene and a prospering game in France. Mainly UK residents fell that way but also some broadminded antipodeans.

Plight of the game in France? Amazing..

Bottom line about the game in France is simple my take on it talking to many at the pre and aftermath functions yesterday and everyone pretty much agreed with me.

* Toulouse now in SL job done 

* Target of a minimum of 10/12 other French players holding down regular spots at English SL clubs 

* Best way of introducing new French audience is secondary internationals v teams where France currently would be competitive thereafter some local might like the idea of starting a grassroots team

* 100% support for traditional teams in areas where the game is strong or has a history and needs a re-boot

On another note my 12 year old who suffers from epilepsy and autism was presented an England shirt with his name and number on by Peter the England kit man along with an autographed shirt for my eldest he sought the boys out at half time to give them their shirts flown over with the England kit yesterday all we can say is pure class by the RFL it's little things like this that make it such a wonderful sport 🙂

Paul

7 hours ago, Niels said:

If they are at their potential full strength 17  Tonga and Samoa can name a better side than England imo. I would rank full strength 17 in this order. 

Australia

Tonga

New Zealand 

Samoa

England

France

Fiji

PNG

Big gap to the rest 

Archived