Jump to content

Sat 23rd Oct: Intl: France v England KO 2.30pm (TV)


Who will win?  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • France by 13 points or more
      2
    • France by 7 to 12 points
      0
    • France by 1 to 6 points
      1
    • England by 1 to 6 points
      1
    • England by 7 to 12 points
      4
    • England by 13 points or more
      17

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/21 at 14:00

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Whilst I know this isn’t the England World Cup team I do think it’s served to illustrate that certain players should not be considered for the World Cup.

Reece Lyne is not good enough & has no fine Centre skills 

Zak Hardaker is too easy to defend and dominate

Farrell runs great lines but is too small to play against the Top Tier teams

Bateman on the form of the last 12 months has lost that je ne sais quoi that helped to compensate for his small stature

Philbins game is ineffective at International level

Leeming is not a replacement half, maybe at Hooker but we don’t know

Oledski needs to find some fire and aggression to make his size tell on the defences

And Lomax is never an international stand off, if Wolfe doesn't shove him to full back next season in favour of Welsby partnering Dodd then there is something very wrong in his identifying his best team selection.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Another point about the timing of the fixture..... surely this should be mid season, when France are likely to have less players out through injury after a long season? 

 

Indeed. But in an alternate Universe we would have just seen England beat Samoa in front of a full house at St James's Park to get their World Cup underway.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

How does the saying go? Rugby league never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity?...

Not this time surely.  Game in summer  (I dont care about NRL players not being available) in Avignon . Then we have them in group stages at home in November.  Then in 2023 we can go bk to France again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last tour down under and results this year make me think England will not go very far at the next WC, whenever that takes place. Southern Hemisphere teams are now clearly above recent England performances, even allowing for availability.

Not good at one level but a positive in that a Northern Hemisphere international series could include a full England siide and with some competitive games.

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RayCee said:

The last tour down under and results this year make me think England will not go very far at the next WC, whenever that takes place. Southern Hemisphere teams are now clearly above recent England performances, even allowing for availability.

Not good at one level but a positive in that a Northern Hemisphere international series could include a full England siide and with some competitive games.

Or that NRL players going forward arent needed or required for Summer and some end of season internationals. 

Think enough UK players in NRL to get us to the semi final but more encouraged that looks like we can build something that no longer needs SH. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not this time surely.  Game in summer  (I dont care about NRL players not being available) in Avignon . Then we have them in group stages at home in November.  Then in 2023 we can go bk to France again. 

England vs France and All Stars 

France vs England and Wales 

Wales vs France and Ireland 

Ireland vs Wales and Scotland

Scotland vs Ireland and Jamaica 

Jamaica vs Scotland and England Knights 

2 games each mid season for NH teams

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed that.

 

Plenty of positives for France (and Catalans). Mourgue needs to be playing at 6 regularly in SL and TO could do a lot worse than bring in a few of those on the fringe of the Catalans 17 in Seguier, Laguerre & Le Cam. Sangare could be anything as well.

 

Philbin, Lyne, Currie, Hardaker, Evalds and Abdull can't seriously be in our World Cup squad for me but I'm not too concerned.

 

Thompson, T. Burgess, Williams, Whitehead Tomkins, Clark, Newman, Percival/Farnworth and Welsby  make us a completely different proposition.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. But in an alternate Universe we would have just seen England beat Samoa in front of a full house at St James's Park to get their World Cup underway.

You honestly believe that?

I would have done a couple or three of years ago, but now I am not so sure, the lack of world international fixtures has kept England up in the standings there is nothing to measure against, watching both the SL and NRL in the last couple of years and comparing playing awareness, speed, skill, abillity and intensity I am  honestly fearful that we have gone backwards whilst they have improved and all players whichever of the better countries they represent will be better for it.

Just my opinion of course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Another point about the timing of the fixture..... surely this should be mid season, when France are likely to have less players out through injury after a long season? 

 

The mid-season tests have been the worst ones due to an over-reliance on Catalans players, so they all pull out with knocks or injuries.

Should be better now there are 2 French sides, but could still have the same issues. Catalans and Toulouse shouldn't be playing that weekend (would have sense to have them scheduled that weekend but moved to a different weekend).

  • Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

maybe a blessing in disguise the wc is not happening - their could be some embarrassing scorelines if the likes of reece lynn, hardaker  and lomax were to come up against mitchell - turbo- teddy - cleary etc - they would have posted 120 past the french today and 80 against that fourth rate rabble - at least jp broke the record for saying "and a fink" most times on tv in 80mins 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

England vs France and All Stars 

France vs England and Wales 

Wales vs France and Ireland 

Ireland vs Wales and Scotland

Scotland vs Ireland and Jamaica 

Jamaica vs Scotland and England Knights 

2 games each mid season for NH teams

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rather have some sort of Eng vs Celts game but definitely need these England vs France games  (in France). Lets say we get 1 million viewers for this. Well thats an extra 6 million eyes on the product over the next 5 years. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

maybe a blessing in disguise the wc is not happening - their could be some embarrassing scorelines if the likes of reece lynn, hardaker  and lomax were to come up against mitchell - turbo- teddy - cleary etc - they would have posted 120 past the french today and 80 against that fourth rate rabble - at least jp broke the record for saying "and a fink" most times on tv in 80mins 

Look at you with your Turbo and Teddy nicknames. So cute.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Whilst I know this isn’t the England World Cup team I do think it’s served to illustrate that certain players should not be considered for the World Cup.

Reece Lyne is not good enough & has no fine Centre skills 

Zak Hardaker is too easy to defend and dominate

Farrell runs great lines but is too small to play against the Top Tier teams

Bateman on the form of the last 12 months has lost that je ne sais quoi that helped to compensate for his small stature

Philbins game is ineffective at International level

Leeming is not a replacement half, maybe at Hooker but we don’t know

Oledski needs to find some fire and aggression to make his size tell on the defences

Thought Oledski did OK... the ball nearly always went the other side to Oledski so he didn't get many opportunities to run with the ball... when he did he made yards. McShane did seem to favour one side.  Oledski plays more with his head/brain, has a nice pass and was always making the extra tackler when needed and to help slow down play.

Too be honest I didn't realise Leeming was playing half, thought he was playing hooker to my eyes... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oledzki was much better than Philbin but he needs a big season with Leeds next season to make the 17. The talent is there. 

Wane now needs to ruthless with the ones who aren't test level I'd rather see some of the Knights who may be being targeted at the next world cup thrown in than solid but unspectacular SL players supposedly at their 'peak' and players out of position.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. But in an alternate Universe we would have just seen England beat Samoa in front of a full house at St James's Park to get their World Cup underway.

Absolutely. And at least we got an international game, I'm just looking forward.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The mid-season tests have been the worst ones due to an over-reliance on Catalans players, so they all pull out with knocks or injuries.

Should be better now there are 2 French sides, but could still have the same issues. Catalans and Toulouse shouldn't be playing that weekend (would have sense to have them scheduled that weekend but moved to a different weekend).

Yeah, I suppose I was forgetting that. But if the games become an attractive prospect in themselves, a lot of these injuries might not be an issue 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

There was not enough evidence to suggest Lomax would have got near enough to affect the passage of play. If running in the general direction of play is enough to influence video ref decisions, then we are going to see a lot more controversial decisions.

In general I agree about the too rigid interpretation of obstruction. In particular, the "running behind your own player" nonsense.

However, I wouldn`t call this incident obstruction. A defender was taken out off the ball. The runner initiated the contact. Clearly illegal. If the defender had similarly taken the runner out, it would have been a penalty the other way. The same ruling would apply anywhere on the field.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

England vs France and All Stars 

France vs England and Wales 

Wales vs France and Ireland 

Ireland vs Wales and Scotland

Scotland vs Ireland and Jamaica 

Jamaica vs Scotland and England Knights 

2 games each mid season for NH teams

Scratch England Knights, making someone else's national team play England's reserve team is insulting to that other nation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think some people are a bit confused. This wasn't the World Cup and it wasn't either sides strongest squad.

BTW Australia won't be scoring against anyone this year as they pulled out of the WC. 

Just FYI

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...