Let us get behind a good comp between England and France.

16 minutes ago, Paul Kempster said:

New South Wales hammered Queensland in the past and they grew stronger.  The French can do what Queensland did and we can have a cross channel equivalent of State of Origin.

Agree, other than it’s a potentially great international fixture and nowt like SOO. 

16 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

It'd be great if we could bring touring Southern Hemisphere nations up here with the promise of a tri series rather than 3 games on the M62.

They rarely play 3 games in the M62 vicinity. One is at Wembley, and I remember Coventry as a venue. 

There's still a place for the Knights, to blood young talent and visit emerging nations where the full England side would just provide a one-sided crushing. Managed right, they could be great ambassadors for the international game, just as the BARLA touring sides have been over the years.

But the Knights should only be playing France if it's a France B-team/youth team facing them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Within 5 years there could be 30 full time SL contracted players at TO and Catalans plus another 8-10 French players at other clubs. That means you can start to find a French team that can defend for 80 minutes and pose a threat.

There is a lot to like about those French players aged 20-22 currently coming through.

On 23/10/2021 at 21:46, Ray Cashmere said:

It'd be great if we could bring touring Southern Hemisphere nations up here with the promise of a tri series rather than 3 games on the M62.

What has that got to do with this thread, shut up with your anti french rhetoric 

27 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

22 April: England v France - St George’s Day test

14 July: France v England - Bastille Day test

Play tests as near as possible to those dates each year. No brainier for me.

To maximise the audience it should be nowhere these dates.

The SL clubs will not release players.

Should be set dates on 2 consecutive weekends home and away. Proper 2 week camp for the squads

Would a cup between Elite and League 1 ( or would it be better to be Championship) work?

Answering my own question... No because of the cost.

But anything that raises the profile of French RL would pay dividends to European RL in the future.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

What has that got to do with this thread, shut up with your anti french rhetoric 

Don't be so judgemental. When was the last time an English Rugby League fan got genuinely excited over a forthcoming England v France fixture ? I mean it's only slightly more meaningful than England v Wales.

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

To maximise the audience it should be nowhere these dates.

The SL clubs will not release players.

Should be set dates on 2 consecutive weekends home and away. Proper 2 week camp for the squads

Would be happy with that option too.

SL clubs should release players. We have become accustomed now to playing so few internationals- SL season must be shortened and regular internationals at intervals put in place instead.

7 hours ago, clogdance said:

Don't be so judgemental. When was the last time an English Rugby League fan got genuinely excited over a forthcoming England v France fixture ? I mean it's only slightly more meaningful than England v Wales.

This sounds like the same contempt we're held in by the Australians

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Me, last Saturday.

9 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

22 April: England v France - St George’s Day test

14 July: France v England - Bastille Day test

Play tests as near as possible to those dates each year. No brainier for me.

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

The Bastille Day one sounds like a great idea. Would be bloody hot though. 

No sport would ever go against the Tour de France in the French sport sphere on Bastille Day 

4 minutes ago, LongbridgeH said:

No sport would ever go against the Tour de France in the French sport sphere on Bastille Day 

This gets pointed out every time the idea of a Bastille Day test is suggested - and it is suggested at least once a year on here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I can only presume you've quoted the wrong person; unless me wanting to reach a stage where Australia are touring the northern hemisphere to play England AND France is 'anti-French rhetoric'?

On 23/10/2021 at 21:39, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Think we are up for the annual game now. Should be a 2 test series in my view

I think 1 game in France for now. As someone suggested on another thread, a couple of tests against potentially beatable opposition such as Wales and Ireland should also be locked in

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This gets pointed out every time the idea of a Bastille Day test is suggested - and it is suggested at least once a year on here.

Yes. My suggestion, as ever, is to ask the French when a good time to have a game would be, rather than stick it on the one cultural marker we in the UK are all aware of.

I think we should play France lots, but a bilateral series always poses a risk of over-saturation and boredom if one side is stronger than the other.  State of Origin is a bit of an exception to this rule, but there have been times in recent years when I have been bored of that too. Would much prefer to have regular competition  between 4+ NH sides.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I can only presume you've quoted the wrong person; unless me wanting to reach a stage where Australia are touring the northern hemisphere to play England AND France is 'anti-French rhetoric'?

Just leave the SH be. Stop obsessing with Australia. 

England vs France and maybe Wales is the growth we need. SH touring teams should not be the basis of a NH international calender

14 hours ago, yipyee said:

Just leave the SH be. Stop obsessing with Australia. 

England vs France and maybe Wales is the growth we need. SH touring teams should not be the basis of a NH international calender

Where's the obsession? 

We can't rely on the Southern Hemisphere for our international calendar hence the importance of playing France annually (as I and many others have already stated). That doesn't mean that I don't want to see England (and France) facing the best nations when the opportunity arises.

No doubt you'll find another way to put words in my mouth...

Archived