The Random Wonderments Thread

28 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Why do lifts have mirrors in them? 

In the early days, it may have been a distraction from the fear of being winched great heights in a box. It also makes the lift feel bigger and less claustrophobic.

Plus it is usually the last chance to make sure you're looking all spiffy before meeting people.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

why have i never seen a turkeys egg?

They can be had, if you go looking: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/clarence-court-seasonal-turkey-eggs/612895-130828-130829

I've never seen them on sale in a shop, though.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Why do airline pilots wear seatbelts 

Thats a similar thought to why do passengers get given life jackets on planes? If a plane is plummeting towards the ground chances are a life jacket isn't gonna save you. If I remember rightly on an episode of QI they said that a life jacket has never actually ever been proven to have saved a life in a plane crash. I think they just keep them to make nervous flyers a bit happier more than anything. 

25 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thats a similar thought to why do passengers get given life jackets on planes? If a plane is plummeting towards the ground chances are a life jacket isn't gonna save you. If I remember rightly on an episode of QI they said that a life jacket has never actually ever been proven to have saved a life in a plane crash. I think they just keep them to make nervous flyers a bit happier more than anything. 

Do planes really need life vests?

Every time I fly I remember the words of John Glenn.

" As I looked around my spaceship I realised that every piece part of the craft was there because it was the cheapest option."

Having worked for over 30 years at Rolls Royce on aircraft engines I know that to be true.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

16 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Every time I fly I remember the words of John Glenn.

" As I looked around my spaceship I realised that every piece part of the craft was there because it was the cheapest option."

Having worked for over 30 years at Rolls Royce on aircraft engines I know that to be true.

Nearly 20 years on landing gear and can confirm same.

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A bit like the 'don't have nightmares' tagline that they used to say on crime watch. They dropped it and people campaigned for them to bring it back, which they did.

8 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Why do folks go onto facebook and ask if anyone knows a local plumber?

I know, it's annoying.

Especially when I am looking for a sparky.