RL in Liverpool

Eddie

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bellew’s Bombers would be my shout.

Seriously though it’s a tough city and I think the tough man, best-of-the-best aspects of RL would appeal.

Maybe the blueprint is to follow Newcastle’s example in Liverpool although I don’t think many of the pre-requisites exist as yet for the foundations.

Namely someone to fund it. 

I still think we have to ‘stay on target’ with Newcastle RL and maintain a focus there.

The recent news about NUFC might not be favourable for them now as disillusioned fans flocking back might hurt Newcastle Thunder interest/engagement levels.

They have to hope that a rising tide lifts all boats in that area.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s about time the game got it’s act together and a pro team formed at the Western end of the M62, we can’t truly call ourselves an M62 sport until this happens. 

No , no , no , no and finally NO 😂

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bellew’s Bombers would be my shout.

Seriously though it’s a tough city and I think the tough man, best-of-the-best aspects of RL would appeal.

Maybe the blueprint is to follow Newcastle’s example in Liverpool although I don’t think many of the pre-requisites exist as yet for the foundations.

Newcastle is 75 miles from the closest semi-pro club though and 83 miles from the closest SL club. That gives them a big advantage in developing their own hinterland of recreational clubs, with the juniors all being directed into their academy.

Widnes & St Helens are right on the edge of Liverpool. Warrington and Wigan, with their academies are only slightly further away. Community clubs are more likely to gravitate towards those established pro-clubs and any decent junior prospects into the existing academies.

So although I think Newcastle have got a fantastic model, it is less likely to work in Liverpool.

Edited by Barley Mow

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Newcastle is 75 miles from the closest semi-pro club though and 83 miles from the closest SL club. That gives them a big advantage in developing their own hinterland of recreational clubs, with the juniors all being directed into their academy.

Widnes & St Helens are right on the edge of Liverpool. Warrington and Wigan, with their academies are only slightly further away. Community clubs are more likely to gravitate towards those established pro-clubs and any decent junior prospects into the existing academies.

So although I think Newcastle have got a fantastic model, it is less likely to work in Liverpool.

Plus 99% of people in Liverpool genuinely couldn’t give a toss about anything other than Liverpool and Everton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Anfield is quite close to Goodison Park and I think I saw a playing field in between the two. So if we base them on that pitch, we'll get both sets of fans and they will be the biggest club in rugby. 

41 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You could say exactly the same about Manchester tbf.

And Newcastle. 

I remember when the great J.Wilkinson was at Newcastle Falcons and it was as though he was out in the wilderness while his England teammates were playing in RU heartlands for Wasps, Saracens, Leicester and co. And the Falcons had millions pumped into them but there wasn’t any Melbourne Storm type effect.

Edited by DC77
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Anfield is quite close to Goodison Park and I think I saw a playing field in between the two. So if we base them on that pitch, we'll get both sets of fans and they will be the biggest club in rugby. 

Post of the year 👍

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Great idea. Call them Liverton or Everpool, play in red shirts and blue shorts and it’s sorted. If they need bigger stadium, they have two close by.

Edited by johnh1

18 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Marwan Koukash is forming a Liverpool based Super League club that’ll challenge the top clubs, I remember him ranting about its, not sure how far along with it he is.

still waiting... whatever happened to that idea?