RL in Liverpool

Eddie

21 minutes ago, Liverpool_Lizards said:

Hi, we will be based out of Wyncote Sports Village, Mather Ave, L18 6HF. Our first game is on Saturday against woolston rovers, also be having a few drinks after the game at Mosley hill rugby club. All are welcome. 

Good luck with it, it would be great to see a thriving RL community club in South Liverpool 👍

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 08:20, Hopping Mad said:

I'm sorry to say it (because it would be wonderful to see rugby league thrive in Liverpool) but, as another former Liverpool resident, I'm inclined to agree with Eddie.

In terms of mass appeal, Liverpool is pretty much a one-sport city. There is some interest in cricket, evidenced by the ECB-rated Liverpool & District Competition and the crowds attracted on Lancashire CCC's occasional visits to Liverpool.

Sadly, the speedway team went the same way as the various guises of the rugby league club (and of the short-lived Liverpool Buccaneers ARLFC), whilst rugby union, which engages, as per, a limited demographic, exists only in a couple of tiny pockets. There are three (to my knowledge) hockey clubs. Basketball? No. Ice hockey? No.

When, in the early 80s, I was at Liverpool University, it had a competitive rugby league club. Is that still going? Liverpool now has three universities (the former poly and out-of-town Edge Hill). Is there any student rugby league activity at the other two?

Best of luck to Liverpool Lizards ARLFC. I hope they can succeed where others have struggled.

Four - Liverpool Hope. They sadly no longer have a team but were the strongest in the mid-late nineties of all four. We made the BUCS final and lost narrowly to Cardiff Met. The original Liverpool Lions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Four - Liverpool Hope. They sadly no longer have a team but were the strongest in the mid-late nineties of all four. We made the BUCS final and lost narrowly to Cardiff Met. The original Liverpool Lions.

Sorry, I meant Hope for three. Out at Ormskirk, Edge Hill (the university not the place/station at the top of the Lime Street cutting) doesn't count as Liverpool. Hope didn't exist (in its present form) when I was at @LivUni.

15 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Not Rugby League but didn't Liverpool St.Helens Rugby Union have small but solid following a bit like Orrell ?

A couple of hundred or so.

Before the merger, Liverpool used to get about 150 when they played at St Michael's. On the day our student bunch went, in 1985, we weren't allowed in the Liverpool clubhouse because we weren't members. As you can imagine, we didn't bother going again! I remember Mike Slemen watching the game (against Nuneaton) from pitchside.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Before the merger, Liverpool used to get about 150 when they played at St Michael's. On the day our student bunch went, in 1985, we weren't allowed in the Liverpool clubhouse because we weren't members. As you can imagine, we didn't bother going again! I remember Mike Slemen watching the game (against Nuneaton) from pitchside.

Thank you I got mixed up with Waterloo then as they were a force I think before Union went pro.

Just now, EggFace said:

Thank you I got mixed up with Waterloo then as they were a force I think before Union went pro.

Yes, at the time I was at Liverpool (1983-86), Waterloo were one of the leading teams in the Northern Merit Table. We went there once, too, for a game against Gosforth (out of which Newcastle Falcons were spawned). Waterloo weren't as snooty as the Liverpool lot!

16 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Is that St Michaels as in down by the Dingle? 

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Yes, at the time I was at Liverpool (1983-86), Waterloo were one of the leading teams in the Northern Merit Table. We went there once, too, for a game against Gosforth (out of which Newcastle Falcons were spawned). Waterloo weren't as snooty as the Liverpool lot!

What sized crowd did they pull.

Funny you mention Gosforth and snotty in the same message as Gosforth had 2 clubs Northern and Gosforth but can't remember which one but one of them were complete snobs.

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

What sized crowd did they pull.

Funny you mention Gosforth and snotty in the same message as Gosforth had 2 clubs Northern and Gosforth but can't remember which one but one of them were complete snobs.

The day we went, Waterloo got about 300.

The Gosforth and Northern grounds were more or less opposite each other, either side of the Great North Road. Gosforth's is now housing, but the Northern ground survives. Northern seemed OK - not noticeably snobby! - when I went there, five or six years ago.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The day we went, Waterloo got about 300.

The Gosforth and Northern grounds were more or less opposite each other, either side of the Great North Road. Gosforth's is now housing, but the Northern ground survives. Northern seemed OK - not noticeably snobby! - when I went there, five or six years ago.

Just read Waterloo were in the top division for 2 seasons but dropped one in 1989.

Sadly never went to the old Gosforth grounds back in the day but one was used as the Northumberland County Ground and had Dog track but I find it mad how Newcastle is Mad Football and then you have 2 Rugby clubs in touching distance and very much like Hartlepool with Wests and Rovers alongside another 4/ 5 clubs.

23 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Just read Waterloo were in the top division for 2 seasons but dropped one in 1989.

Sadly never went to the old Gosforth grounds back in the day but one was used as the Northumberland County Ground and had Dog track but I find it mad how Newcastle is Mad Football and then you have 2 Rugby clubs in touching distance and very much like Hartlepool with Wests and Rovers alongside another 4/ 5 clubs.

What a completely bizarre post. 100% rugby union, nothing at all to do with Rugby League, and reminiscing about the 1980s.

What is it actually meant to contribute to the thread about Rugby League in Liverpool?

57 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

What a completely bizarre post. 100% rugby union, nothing at all to do with Rugby League, and reminiscing about the 1980s.

What is it actually meant to contribute to the thread about Rugby League in Liverpool?

Because Geordies were starved of live Rugby League back in the day so if you like liked Rugby League but couldn't stand Football then you went to Rugby Union but yes we strayed on the subject but love the old history side of things.

Regarding Liverpool its just Football and was music, not even sure Boxing is big ?

Edited by EggFace

58 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Okay to make you happy who was the Waterloo player in 1995 who signed to St.Helens ?

A big problem facing any new sports club in Liverpool is developing a ground

Land prices to the south end are too high and to the north end clubs can quickly find themselves out of Liverpool and into other boroughs ie Sefton and Knowsley which defeats the purpose 

The relatively new City of Liverpool football club had the same problem.  They are currently playing at Ellesmere Port on Vauxhall Motors pitch 

Wyncotes does not have facilities to cope with paying crowds  Could not see any permission being given or desire for covered stands

Waterloo RUFC would be a ready made rugby ground base with terrace and bar facilities  half way to Southport though and would be putting money into Union coffers

13 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

You can't destroy that which never existed.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/03/2022 at 18:51, steve oates said:

Any plan to make a Liverpool Superleague team probably requires someone to pop in I'd say about £3,000,000 a year for very many years. A London championship RL team needs a subsidy of a £Million a year and Newcastle in the Championship probably needs £2 Million a year to be able to compete towards the next step.

Problem with Liverpool is that it is acutely aware of RL thanks to the nearby Saints, where many Liverpool RL fans will go to, and for Manchester many RL fans in the city can and do choose support Wigan. 

All these places are cosmopolitan, and most sports fans are happy to travel outside of their own back yard to watch top notch clubs. Everton has fans in numbers from North Wales. 

You say you have no confidence in "the administrators" to launch a Liverpool RL team, but the reason they don't even try it, is it is obviously is a total pipe dream unless you throw vast amounts of money at it over many years and may never get the returns even then.  Where do you think they can get this sort of money? 

Not in my experience. I don’t know anyone who has heard of them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Not in my experience. I don’t know anyone who has heard of them.

I’d say a fair few have (nowhere near half mind you), they’ll know they exist, but interest is minimal and agreed to say they’re acutely aware just isn’t correct. 

• Like 1