Martin Offiah on the Salary Cap

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If he gets the sport talking about the scandalous levels of pay for some SL squad players who are in or close to the 17 every week he has done his jobs IMO - whatever his methods. The minimum wage for a SL player actually got cut to £15k last year (I believe it was circa £20k before).

Providing all legal requirements are met, I don't see low pay as a scandal (I do believe there have been some minimum wage issues which is a scandal BTW). It isn't like the game is sitting on huge pots of money that are being pilfered away by greedy bosses. 

Where low wages become an issue is around the more strategic player recruitment piece for the game. Pay poorly and you will struggle to attract players - so I think it is a challenge for the game in that sense but not a scandal. 

But when people (including Offiah) focus on salary cap, they are rarely looking at this bottom end, they always talk about the superstars. 

I think a campaign to raise the cap by £100k but upping the minimum wage to £25k per annum (for example) would be a great thing to champion, but the likes of Offiah rarely do this. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Providing all legal requirements are met, I don't see low pay as a scandal (I do believe there have been some minimum wage issues which is a scandal BTW). It isn't like the game is sitting on huge pots of money that are being pilfered away by greedy bosses. 

Where low wages become an issue is around the more strategic player recruitment piece for the game. Pay poorly and you will struggle to attract players - so I think it is a challenge for the game in that sense but not a scandal. 

But when people (including Offiah) focus on salary cap, they are rarely looking at this bottom end, they always talk about the superstars. 

I think a campaign to raise the cap by £100k but upping the minimum wage to £25k per annum (for example) would be a great thing to champion, but the likes of Offiah rarely do this. 

Agreed, it almost feels like a humblebrag to remind people how much he was coining in rather than a genuine concern for player welfare.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agreed, it almost feels like a humblebrag to remind people how much he was coining in rather than a genuine concern for player welfare.

He does also fail to mention what happened to both the main clubs he played for who paid him huge wages. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I do agree with that, but it probably wouldn't make for a good interview splash.

Archived