A 2nd Pro Club in the North East

Well, it's the off-season...!

Would a second club somewhere in the North East be beneficial to the growth of Newcastle or hinder it? I've always been of the opinion that a local rivalry is a great way to help build up interest in a sport and it isn't the sharing of resources that people often make out.

Where in the North East would be a good home for a second pro club if someone were to invest? Sunderland? Middleborough? Darlington? Is league making any strides in these areas? I know there are World Cup games scheduled in Middleborough. Is there legacy strategy there? Is there a strategy at all!?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Would a second club somewhere in the North East be beneficial to the growth of Newcastle or hinder it? I've always been of the opinion that a local rivalry is a great way to help build up interest in a sport and it isn't the sharing of resources that people often make out.

Why?

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Where in the North East would be a good home for a second pro club if someone were to invest? Sunderland? Middleborough? Darlington? Is league making any strides in these areas? I know there are World Cup games scheduled in Middleborough. Is there legacy strategy there? Is there a strategy at all!?

Aye!

Clubs can feed off each other definitely, but to create a proper rivalry you need some sort of history built by two teams playing each other over time. Given Newcastle are now seriously eyeing up a SL spot it would be a number of years before any Middlesbrough or whatever team could get to their level. Look at Broncos and Skolars for example, both clubs have been there for years but have zero rivalry as they never play against each other.

"A 2nd pro club"???

There isn't even 1. Newcastle have literally just contracted a small handful of guys on professional contracts for the first time. As a club, they still train at night, and their players work during the day.

2 fully professional teams in the North East is the usual deluded fantasy stuff. It will never happen.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

North or South Shields for me as my grandparents were from there.

Both are perfect small towns for league clubs 🙂

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

We could maybe send Hull back up to Gateshead 😛

11 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I thought we were going for Plymouth?

2 hours ago, cookey said:

I'd be happy just to get Newcastle and York into SL and get rid of some of the dead wood.

If they fall the same way as London, Toronto, who I both liked, we will be glad of the "dead wood".

We need to promote expansion and also look after our established clubs. 

11 hours ago, Grand Est said:

"A 2nd pro club"???

There isn't even 1. Newcastle have literally just contracted a small handful of guys on professional contracts for the first time. As a club, they still train at night, and their players work during the day.

2 fully professional teams in the North East is the usual deluded fantasy stuff. It will never happen.

Only you have changed the point to "fully professional" in order to deride. Nobody mentioned full time.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Darlington could actually be worth a shout. 30 mins from York by train and about the same from Newcastle. Local population who are interested in sport but don't have too much to watch (Darlington FC playing in tier 6, a couple of RU sides), not far from areas with established player pools and infrastructure.

Probably no ground they could realistically use though, unless one of the RU teams fancied breaking the habits of 126 years and sharing (and Darlington FC already share with one of them).

Obviously I can't see it ever happening.

1 minute ago, wilsontown said:

Darlington could actually be worth a shout. 30 mins from York by train and about the same from Newcastle. Local population who are interested in sport but don't have too much to watch (Darlington FC playing in tier 6, a couple of RU sides), not far from areas with established player pools and infrastructure.

Probably no ground they could realistically use though, unless one of the RU teams fancied breaking the habits of 126 years and sharing (and Darlington FC already share with one of them).

Obviously I can't see it ever happening.

Isn’t there that massive stadium by the A1 that the safe breaker chap built? 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Isn’t there that massive stadium by the A1 that the safe breaker chap built? 

Currently being used by Darlington Mowden Park RU, but apparently RL has been played there as Gateshead took on Oldham in a challenge cup game in 2009...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darlington_Arena

Unlikely to need 25,500 capacity for the first decade or so, I'd have thought

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Only you have changed the point to "fully professional" in order to deride. Nobody mentioned full time.

Calling teams "professional" who train 1 or 2 nights a week and work as rooofers or plasterers is laughable. 😆

They are not professional players.

Thinking that they are, is one of the many things that holds the game back.

3 hours ago, wilsontown said:

Currently being used by Darlington Mowden Park RU, but apparently RL has been played there as Gateshead took on Oldham in a challenge cup game in 2009...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darlington_Arena

Unlikely to need 25,500 capacity for the first decade or so, I'd have thought

It doesn't stop the union club playing in it in front of crowds in the hundreds! It is a pretty ridiculous situation when most of the teams they play against have a field and clubhouse type set up.

14 hours ago, Niels said:

North or South Shields for me as my grandparents were from there.

Both are perfect small towns for league clubs 🙂

Tried and failed;well,started and finished.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shields_(rugby_league)

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived