The stuff people throw away at the tip ( recycling centre )

My local community has a Buy Nothing Facebook page where you can give away stuff for free. If people find out something given away was later sold for cash, you’re banned.

Some locals take it a bit too far and actually place requests like:

- Does anyone have a spare TV and soundbar and can you please bring it around to my house?

- It’s my boyfriend’s birthday. Is anyone keen to help out and bake him a cake and drop it by my place before he gets home?

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to get rid of the mattress. Along with an old hoover you can't get the drive belts for anymore, a hedge trimmer I cut through the wire of, a lawnmower with a knackered on/off switch, two tubs of paint so old the paint left in them had gone completely solid, a plastic box with a hole cut in the side that was used as a litter tray for the cats, a bathroom cabinet and some shower curtain poles, we managed to get all this into the back of my mate's Mercedes A-Class and do it in just one run. Granted a 4-Door A-Class but even so, I was quite impressed with our work. Just getting the mattress in was achievement enough, let alone all that other junk. 😁

4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I use Freecycle, there are groups all over the UK. People will collect, it's actually even easier than taking things to the skips

Sometimes you get the same people collecting stuff. Wonder if they are then having a car boot somewhere?!

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Sometimes you get the same people collecting stuff. Wonder if they are then having a car boot somewhere?!

Probably, and if they can make a few quid then good luck to them.

In the last few weeks I have decluttered a double mattress, 3 chairs, 2 old radios and a trench guard (all collected by different people). Contemplating putting some of my RL programmes on as I can't get rid of them on here 😂

When my old TV blew up 2 years ago, I put it out by the bins, as I did so, someone asked me if they could have it? I told them it didn't work, they said they would salvage any components & reuse them.

When my bed fell apart, as soon as the wood hit the pavement one of my neighbors said she can use in on one of her projects... gone!

19 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

When my old TV blew up 2 years ago, I put it out by the bins, as I did so, someone asked me if they could have it? I told them it didn't work, they said they would salvage any components & reuse them.

When my bed fell apart, as soon as the wood hit the pavement one of my neighbors said she can use in on one of her projects... gone!

That's what happens when you live out in the ' sticks ' 😉

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I finally managed to get rid of the mattress. Along with an old hoover you can't get the drive belts for anymore, a hedge trimmer I cut through the wire of, a lawnmower with a knackered on/off switch, two tubs of paint so old the paint left in them had gone completely solid, a plastic box with a hole cut in the side that was used as a litter tray for the cats, a bathroom cabinet and some shower curtain poles, we managed to get all this into the back of my mate's Mercedes A-Class and do it in just one run. Granted a 4-Door A-Class but even so, I was quite impressed with our work. Just getting the mattress in was achievement enough, let alone all that other junk. 😁

Why didn't you just shorten the wire to the hedge trimmers ? 

And fixing switches on lawnmowers is a piece of ###### , just look on YouTube 

Lazy git 

1 hour ago, CornwallRL said:

Bohemian

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Why didn't you just shorten the wire to the hedge trimmers ? 

And fixing switches on lawnmowers is a piece of ###### , just look on YouTube 

Lazy git 

I took the hedge out completely a couple of years ago anyway so I didn't need them anymore. 

And when I say the switch was broken it was more the actual plastic casing of the switch which you squeezed had broken rather than the electronics of the thing and it was quite an old mower that you couldn't get parts for anymore. 

And what is YouTube? 

And yes I am a lazy goose, not a git, a goose. 😉

Archived