Fanzines

JonM

Just sorting out the loft in preparation for moving house. Thought some of you might remember these titles. (And for those of you too young - this is what we had before internet forums).

IMG_20211030_142154189.jpg

IMG_20211030_142148609.jpg

I loved the Fanzines.

I used to visit London quarterly for work and I always called in at a shop called Sportspages on Charing Cross road. 

They had fanzines from all soccer clubs and rugby league ones also. 

It was a real loss when they closed. 

Once a month or so in the early/mid 90s I'd get the train from Leeds to Manchester specifically to go first to the Ian Allen bookshop and then to the Manchester Sportspages.

I used to particularly enjoy The Final Hooter and would also pick up whatever club ones took my interest. (TGG was delivered at home of course 😇). 

There was something exciting about picking up a copy of something which published seemingly subversive views, the sort of stuff you'd hear in the pub before or after a game but never in print in the 'respectable' media. It was a different world.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

London Calling?

Yes. It was good.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Once a month or so in the early/mid 90s I'd get the train from Leeds to Manchester specifically to go first to the Ian Allen bookshop and then to the Manchester Sportspages.

I used to head off to London’s Sportpages at lunch time to stock up on RL fanzines (and footie ones). Great shop. 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

I used to particularly enjoy The Final Hooter and would also pick up whatever club ones took my interest. (TGG was delivered at home of course 😇). 

There was something exciting about picking up a copy of something which published seemingly subversive views, the sort of stuff you'd hear in the pub before or after a game but never in print in the 'respectable' media. It was a different world.

I remember both the Ian Allan and Sportspages bookshops with affection - and their London counterparts too, respectively near Waterloo Station and just off the Charing Cross Road.

There was always a touching optimism about some of the books that Sportspages had for sale.  In their Manchester shop, I picked up very cheaply in a sale The History of Shetland Football, 1887 - 1987.  it is still sitting snugly in the built in bookcase that takes up a complete wall of the spare bedroom/home office where I am typing this.  It was massively reduced in price so I bought it to see if any of my family forebears got a mention (they didn't, with the possible exception of a goalkeeper from the island of Yell!), but I did wonder who Sportspages thought might buy it, especially when it had been for sale at full price.

Feel like I should point out that the Leeds fanzine has a picture of Nelson Mandela being released, and asking "Have the Loiners won owt yet?" I'd forgotten that Leeds went over 20 years without winning the league or Challenge Cup.

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

I definitely remember The Steam Pig! 🐷

There must have been an incident about this that led to it being banned as I heard about this at the time - and I wasn't remotely into RL then. Maybe in the T&A?

I worked in Sportspages in Manchester for years. So I will likely have met (a long time ago) a few of you on here.

Fanzines we’re great and brought people in to the shop so they’d then spend more on books. They were a pain though to manage and pay for.

I remember that we got a mention in The Final Hooter once - under the genius ‘Harry Gration Bores the Nation’ feature. Good times.

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

I think some Saints fan’s did one called “the director” or it could’ve been “the chairman” ?. 

Yeah it was 'The Director'. 'Split, Fish and Curry' is the other one I remember. Probably still got a couple with some old programmes somewhere too.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Final Hooter. 

Which, given the recent thread about Liverpool, might be relevant as I'm sure it came from there...or possibly the Wirral.

Was somewhere on The Wirral. I remember the address on the back - always surprised me it came from that rugby league hotbed 😉

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Fanzines we’re great and brought people in to the shop so they’d then spend more on books. They were a pain though to manage and pay for.

I am exactly one of the customers that you describe.

It was my first stop on any trip to Manchester, and I would normally buy both (books and fanzines).

35 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

I am exactly one of the customers that you describe.

It was my first stop on any trip to Manchester, and I would normally buy both (books and fanzines).

Good stuff - thanks for helping to pay my wages back then!

Rugby league memories there… doing a window display for the RLWC95, Micron vhs tapes of State of Origin, a packed day for an Alex Murphy book signing and Barrie-Jon Mather being a regular who always bought Sports Illustated.

Really miss Sportspages in Manchester, great shop.

Still can't walk past anyone selling a fanzine these days and not buy one, don't care on the sport or club, they always make for an interesting read, but becoming increasingly rare these days even outside grounds on match days.

"Wally Lewis Is Coming", the Wakefield Trinity fanzine was always great value.   

One my favourites from it was a spot the difference picture of a famous local player (not Wakey)  who was said to like a drink and a Tetleys Brewery Dray. The answer was, one is an ale cart that carries large amounts of beer from pub to pub, and the other is a brewery dray.

Archived