Catalan Dragons want to Play at the Velodrome

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and spouse are as dozy as they come but no hint of problems either in Marseille or the darkling back streets of Naples. Basically the main drags are fine though smoking weed seems to be compulsory between Gare St Charles and the Harbour. Ok there are lots of young black lads hanging around. Trouble? Non! Nothing. Really liked Marseille, even the family of local rats entertained us. Historically....drone... blab .... I could go on.....

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 hour ago, corvusxiii said:

Me and spouse are as dozy as they come but no hint of problems either in Marseille or the darkling back streets of Naples. Basically the main drags are fine though smoking weed seems to be compulsory between Gare St Charles and the Harbour. Ok there are lots of young black lads hanging around. Trouble? Non! Nothing. Really liked Marseille, even the family of local rats entertained us. Historically....drone... blab .... I could go on.....

Marseille always seems to have a reputation as an unsafe city, France's toilet so to speak but I can't say I've found that myself, a great historical city with some lovely architecture and a real positive atmosphere. I haven't been to Naples but know someone who has and I remember them saying when they went to Vesuvius and Pompeii, their guide told them not to go into Naples itself due to the crime problems, especially against tourists, but they did anyway and said they absolutely loved it and didn't have any problems.

You've just gotta use your head in any city really. I tend to split my money on my body, some in a money belt, some in a zipped pocket, some in a small pouch that goes round my neck and under my shirt. I keep my wallet in my inside, breast pocket and my phone in the pouch under my shirt. Before the first time I went to Barcelona I saw a programme that called it the pickpocketing capital of Europe so when I went I did all of the cautious stuff above and in the end never felt unsafe at all. Barcelona in fact has one of the happiness and most positive atmospheres of any city I've been to.

I always say to people, if they want to believe all the spin about places the media creates then they're never liable to go anywhere. As someone said above, these cities are just as bad as any other city, you're just as likely to get pickpocketed in Leeds city centre as you are in Marseille. 

Catalans v TO going to be big I think. Ernest Wallon you would think 17,000 possible. Guasch I would think want to see something bigger than that so Brutus would miss out.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

16 hours ago, The Daddy said:

It has a reputation for being unsafe, is that deserved?

Try Huddersfield on a Saturday night.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It would be good if more clubs showed this sort of ambition and took games on the road to get a bigger crowd than normal.

I say that whilst wondering where Hull would go though as they already have a very large stadium and there's nothing local that has a big enough capacity to warrant moving! Pointless taking games to Grimsby out Scunthorpe in their current grounds.

It would be worth it if a small handfull of new fans went to buy season tickets 

18 hours ago, The Daddy said:

It has a reputation for being unsafe, is that deserved?

Fully deserved. As the sun slept, I was never far from a good mugging. My experience sounds different to others who have posted here, but I felt safety between night and day is as different as say… night and day.

23 hours ago, doc said:

Yes, I remember a Widnes plan to play a game at Chester City's ground, to spread the faith as it were. Very similar...

Great post, but banter aside that wouldn’t be a bad idea, no RL in Chester (other than one amateur club) yet there are two pro teams in Cheshire who could target the area for new fans. Same with say Wigan could play the odd game in Morecambe / Preston etc. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Great post, but banter aside that wouldn’t be a bad idea, no RL in Chester (other than one amateur club) yet there are two pro teams in Cheshire who could target the area for new fans. Same with say Wigan could play the odd game in Morecambe / Preston etc. 

Wigan are partnered with UCLAN in Preston and do a lot of promotion through them.

I believe Warrington do the same with Chester Uni.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Not if there is a large drop in regular attendance in addition to venue charges. The new fans wouldn't make up the shortfall.

If its a one off loop fixture then taking a game on the road to broarden appeal is a good loss leadet. Saracens hiring wembley and selling tickets for a fiver worked out for them even though they had to sell 60k tickets to break even.

Sometimes you have to play the long game and stop looking at the short term

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

If its a one off loop fixture then taking a game on the road to broarden appeal is a good loss leadet. Saracens hiring wembley and selling tickets for a fiver worked out for them even though they had to sell 60k tickets to break even.

Sometimes you have to play the long game and stop looking at the short term

That is nothing like taking games to Grimsby and Scunthorpe and 9k stadiums which is what you replied to.

I would have thought for the first year or two you try and sell out the home stadia and really get a rivalry going and pull in some money.

Take it on the road when it is more established.

9 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I would have thought for the first year or two you try and sell out the home stadia and really get a rivalry going and pull in some money.

Take it on the road when it is more established.

That's my view on it. Give it to the locals first, establish it and then the season after take it on the road. This seems like too much too soon

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That's my view on it. Give it to the locals first, establish it and then the season after take it on the road. This seems like too much too soon

It depends if they have been offered money by the Marseilles local authority. It does need to be a loop fixture however and not a regular fixture as that would be silly and tap into the point you and others are making about getting things established etc.

I would prefer that, if they did, they took it somewhere more in the heartlands for now.

Any indications of any other French sides that might be interested to make a go of it over the channel?

It is worth noting SRD and Leeds spoke about hosting a loop fixture in New York before Covid 19 et al struck.

Tremendous idea by Catalans. Aiming for the Velodrome is real ambition. Opens it up for the French loop game-if the draw allows it-to be hosted elsewhere in France/Catalonia. Which surely helps develop RL and the two clubs.

A potentially season long full Brutus and packed to capacity Velodrome would surely post Catalans up there with Leeds as having the best average attendance.

Obviously going some way back but international Rugby League has a proud history of being played at the Velodome with some great attendances. As a side note look at the crowds for the European Rugby League Championship - Talk about RL shooting itself in the foot :

Rugby League World Cup[edit]

Over three separate tournaments, the Vélodrome also hosted games of the Rugby League World Cup.

Date Competition Home team Away team Attendance
7 November 1954 1954 Rugby League World Cup group stage 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 34 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 15 20,000
28 October 1972 1972 Rugby League World Cup group stage 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 20 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 9 20,748
17 October 1975 1975 Rugby League World Cup group stage 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 12 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 12 10,000

Rugby League Test matches[edit]

List of rugby league test matches played at Stade Vélodrome.[6]

Test# Date Result Attendance Notes
1 16 January 1938 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia def. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 16–11 23,100 1938 France vs Australia series
2 18 January 1947 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 14–5 24,500 1946–47 European Rugby League Championship
3 11 April 1948 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England def. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 25–10 32,000 1947–48 European Rugby League Championship
4 9 January 1949 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia def. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 29–10 15,796 1949 France vs Australia series
5 10 April 1949 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 11–0 30,000 1948–49 European Rugby League Championship
6 15 January 1950 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. Other Nationalities 8–3 30,000 1949–50 European Rugby League Championship
7 15 April 1950 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 28–13 16,860 1950–51 European Rugby League Championship
8 25 November 1951 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 42–13 31,810 1951–52 European Rugby League Championship
9 23 November 1952 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. Other Nationalities 29–10 17,611 1949–50 European Rugby League Championship
10 13 December 1953 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 23–22 25,000 1953–54 European Rugby League Championship
11 15 November 1965 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 14–3 30,431 1965 France vs New Zealand series
12 17 December 1967 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France drew with 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 7–7 5,193 1967–68 France vs Australia series
13 20 December 1981 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France def. 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Great Britain 19–2 6,500  
14 24 November 1985 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand def. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 22–0 1,492 1985 France vs New Zealand series

Archived