Two-faced NRL

After they sandbagged the Denver promotional match intended to start building awareness in the US for the proposed 2025 World Cup there and bullied the organizers of the 2021 World Cup into postponing until next year, now they want to take an NRL match to the US.  They arrogantly see themselves as being like the NFL.

They basically want everything to revolve around the NRL, its a control thing, the world cup should have gone ahead this year, imagine how annoyed they would be in their corner of the sandpit when the world cup would have been given to someone else. Toys out of the pram time, you have to be in it to win it. 

Just look at the stars who will now miss the world cup or be another year older etc..

Wow, this quote from the link stands out:

"Most recently, an International game between New Zealand and England was taken to Denver in 2018 but unfortunately did not achieve the results that the NRL, who heavily backed the game, intended."

Which ever way you cut it, this is good news (if it comes off).

They should collaborate with, (buy in) to the NARL/USARL give it some sensible management funding and build it. 

Showcase games like this (Manly/Souths), will add to the marketing mix.

I just hope they give it a decent push, not just a one-off game with no follow up.

USA has got to be the biggest target for International RL development. 

There is a ghastly difference between the article and the headline. I didn’t read the SMH article, but, from the link shared, there wasn’t one single comment from the NRL backing this idea.

In saying that. I wouldn’t expect the NRL to turn the idea down if both clubs wanted to do it. That’s the crux of it though and the simple and fundamental difference between this idea and the Denver test a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

There is a ghastly difference between the article and the headline. I didn’t read the SMH article, but, from the link shared, there wasn’t one single comment from the NRL backing this idea.

In saying that. I wouldn’t expect the NRL to turn the idea down if both clubs wanted to do it. That’s the crux of it though and the simple and fundamental difference between this idea and the Denver test a few years ago.

What both countries didn’t want to play it?.

39 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

"Most recently, an International game between New Zealand and England was taken to Denver in 2018 but unfortunately did not achieve the results that the NRL, who heavily backed the game, intended."

That is hilarious.

It did though achieve exactly what the NRL intended, which was to ensure the event failed and wouldn't be repeated. In addition it also ensured that the  NZRL wouldn't have financial independence and ensured that mid season internationals had to be on the NRLs terms and controlled by the NRL. 

Does anyone really think that the American public will care one bit about two teams representing suburbs of Sydney?

Last week, the All Blacks played the US national team and then yesterday they played Wales.  All the while Australia and New Zealand Rugby League players sit at home after their governing bodies (of more accurately the NRL) decided not to showcase their players on the world stage this month.

30 year old Beauden Barrett, probably the best Union player in the world right now, won his 100th cap yesterday.  25 year old Tom Trbojevic is probably the best Rugby League player in the world right now and he has won 4 Australian Rugby League caps.  Just 4 games for the Kangaroos.

It is quite incredible how the people at the top of the NRL cannot see what an asset they have in the Kangaroos and the talent they have to show the world.  It would be laughable if it weren't so bloody frustrating.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

30 year old Beauden Barrett, probably the best Union player in the world right now, won his 100th cap yesterday. 

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment of your post, the thing I'm most pleased about is that I have never, ever heard of this bloke. Which means my decades-long efforts to avoid the merest mention of the other sport (except in Distaster thread circumstances) is really paying off.

5 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

That is some impressive rewriting of history.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Does anyone really think that the American public will care one bit about two teams representing suburbs of Sydney?

Last week, the All Blacks played the US national team and then yesterday they played Wales.  All the while Australia and New Zealand Rugby League players sit at home after their governing bodies (of more accurately the NRL) decided not to showcase their players on the world stage this month.

30 year old Beauden Barrett, probably the best Union player in the world right now, won his 100th cap yesterday.  25 year old Tom Trbojevic is probably the best Rugby League player in the world right now and he has won 4 Australian Rugby League caps.  Just 4 games for the Kangaroos.

It is quite incredible how the people at the top of the NRL cannot see what an asset they have in the Kangaroos and the talent they have to show the world.  It would be laughable if it weren't so bloody frustrating.

Of course the US public won't care one bit, none of them have a clue where Manly is though they could likely work out that South Sydney is a suburb of Sydney.

The NRL clowns don't seem to understand that the NFL made their London matches work because the NFL is huge and had plenty of money to make those matches big events.  The NRL on the other hand doesn't have nearly enough money to make a match in the US a big event, even if they didn't have the wrong teams in mind for it.

The "take a game to the US" article is the equivalent of offseason threads pondering where Bezos/Branson should start a new club. 

Comes up every season without fail because there's no actual footy for journalists to talk about so they need something to fill the column inches.

I was discussing this with my son last night and how these stories do have a tendency to come around the same time each year.

The only thing different this time is that there maybe an attempt to link this with an attempt to position the NRL with the newly legalised sports betting industry in the U.S.

There was talk a while back that ARLC member Gary Weiss, the resident financial expert on the commission, had been tasked with exploring the idea.

Matt Tripp, Melbourne Storm co-owner and Chairman, founder of two on-line betting agencies said there were definite opportunities if done right.

There was also talk of having Russell Crowe and Manly Sea Eagles supporter Hugh Jackman promote the event.

The National Rugby League, the major rugby league club competition in Australia and New Zealand, is considering a plan to cash in on the expanding legalized sports gambling market in the US.

Australian Rugby League Commission director Gary Weiss has been tasked with developing wagering products for the American market with a view to enticing overseas punters to gamble on the NRL, reports The Sydney Morning Herald.

As domestic sports wagering became an increasingly lucrative revenue raiser for the game, in particular during the lockdown period, the NRL now believes there is potential in the US market.

The Commission is likely to consult Melbourne Storm chairman and co-owner Matt Tripp, former Sportsbet boss and BetEasy founder, who says there is potential in targeting the American market.

“Most definitely, if they handle it right they could tap into a very large and growing market that would see them generate incremental revenues from wagering that they didn’t expect to get at this time two or three years ago,” Tripp said to the previously cited news source.

@UTK @The Rocket you are both spot on. This is a near on slow news week type story that gets rehashed every off season.

Then posters get stuck into the NRL again, when there is not any reference to the NRL entertaining this idea, apart from an inaccurate headline.

There are good reasons to get stuck into the NRL. This fantasy article is not one of them.

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Which ever way you cut it, this is good news (if it comes off).

They should collaborate with, (buy in) to the NARL/USARL give it some sensible management funding and build it. 

Showcase games like this (Manly/Souths), will add to the marketing mix.

I just hope they give it a decent push, not just a one-off game with no follow up.

USA has got to be the biggest target for International RL development. 

If its development to feed into the NRL its not a plus. If its US being a viable market in its own right or to feed into the european system then the NRL will throw barriers in the way

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

@UTK @The Rocket you are both spot on. This is a near on slow news week type story that gets rehashed every off season.

Then posters get stuck into the NRL again, when there is not any reference to the NRL entertaining this idea, apart from an inaccurate headline.

There are good reasons to get stuck into the NRL. This fantasy article is not one of them.

Next up: All Blacks v Kangaroos. 

11 hours ago, M j M said:

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment of your post, the thing I'm most pleased about is that I have never, ever heard of this bloke. Which means my decades-long efforts to avoid the merest mention of the other sport (except in Distaster thread circumstances) is really paying off.

Beauden Who? 

11 hours ago, M j M said:

It is very unusual for me to agree with what you write, but that was my reaction. It seems to be getting easier and easier to avoid knowing anything about the Vichies.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Beauden Who? 

An exceptional rugby player , who IMO could have been an exceptional player at RL as well , but as my headmaster at Heretaunga College said to me , become an All Black and you're set for life 

39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

An exceptional rugby player , who IMO could have been an exceptional player at RL as well , but as my headmaster at Heretaunga College said to me , become an All Black and you're set for life 

Like @MJM, his name means nothing to me because I have no interest whatsoever in the sport, apart from son's of famous RL fathers and those who having played RL professionally and now play in Union I doubt I would recognise any other names from the whole of the sport for any team domestic or international if a list was layed out in front of me.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like MJM, his name means nothing to me because I have no interest whatsoever in the sport, apart from son's of famous RL fathers and those who having played RL professionally and now play in Union I doubt I would recognise any other names from the whole of the sport for any team domestic or international if a list was layed out in front of me.

My knowledge of RU is most likely very similar to yours Harry , all apart from the AB s , who I am quite happy to watch , partly because of my links in once living in the place and their style of play which is totally different to the cross served up by the NH teams , well at least it was , although they're slowly being drawn into the boring style adopted by the rest 

Archived