League restructure discussion thread (Merged)

Anyone heard owt? 

Players are due to go into pre season soon and they have no idea what the league structure will be, how many are going to be relegated and whether we will have 2 leagues of 10 in 2023. 

This is the definition of an omnishambles 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Date has been set at 19th January to give business's plenty time to create a business plan.

Which year?

I remember an old trick Militant used to do at Labour Party meetings. Prolong normal business until most of the members were exhausted or left, then with their contrived majority gained by fatigue, get some Trot style motion passed at the last moment.

4 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Which year?

I remember an old trick Militant used to do at Labour Party meetings. Prolong normal business until most of the members were exhausted or left, then with their contrived majority gained by fatigue, get some Trot style motion passed at the last moment.

Maybe Dexy Hatton is our new RFL leader

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Anyone heard owt? 

Players are due to go into pre season soon and they have no idea what the league structure will be, how many are going to be relegated and whether we will have 2 leagues of 10 in 2023. 

Rugby League on the administration front of those who run the sport is the definition of omnishambles, if these people from both SL and the RFL was a buisness with share holders to answer to they would have been shown the door a long time ago.

I honestly believe they treat the paying public with contempt which suggests a "It's nothing to do with them attitude they will get what they are given, when we want to announce it"

Obviously done at a time designed to inconvenience those who do not matter in the eye's of those who believe themselves to be the only ones that really matter, we are some 14 weeks from the start of next season Championship 1 doesn't even know if it will be able to begin the season with a full quota of clubs depending on future announcements, the Championship has not a clue what the rewards of all the investment on playing rosters they are making will be, will there be P&R across the divisions, if so how many and from where to where, will we have 2 x 10's or will Licencing for SL be reintroduced, if so by what criteria will securing a licence be deemed necessary, it really is a shambles that nothing at this stage so close to next season which will be the qualifying season for any changes for '23 has not been announced.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Rugby League on the administration front of those who run the sport is the definition of omnishambles, if these people from both SL and the RFL was a buisness with share holders to answer to they would have been shown the door a long time ago.

I honestly believe they treat the paying public with contempt which suggests a "It's nothing to do with them attitude they will get what they are given, when we want to announce it"

Obviously done at a time designed to inconvenience those who do not matter in the eye's of those who believe themselves to be the only ones that really matter, we are some 14 weeks from the start of next season Championship 1 doesn't even know if it will be able to begin the season with a full quota of clubs depending on future announcements, the Championship has not a clue what the rewards of all the investment on playing rosters they are making will be, will there be P&R across the divisions, if so how many and from where to where, will we have 2 x 10's or will Licencing for SL be reintroduced, if so by what criteria will securing a licence be deemed necessary, it really is a shambles that nothing at this stage so close to next season which will be the qualifying season for any changes for '23 has not been announced.

Couldn't agree more Harry.

I wonder if anyone has seen or heard any news on this "major" and "exciting" announcement that Ralph came out with a couple of weeks ago now?

You can only hope that clubs are being brought in on the conversation behind closed doors and it just hasn't made its way into the public yet... In small RL circles you would suspect something to have crept out if that was the case, mind.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Anyone heard owt? 

The "2021/2022 RFL/SuperLeague/Rimmer/Lindsay/referees/rules/Sky/commentators/anyone else we don't like" thread . Delete anyone or annything where not applicable.

To what extent does the league structure affect pre season training? When does pre season training start? For example, will players not train properly if they know they might not get relegated?

Will others learn how to kick goals knowing they might get promoted?

Clever old SL! Once again managing to get the RFL to take the flak for all of the problems that they have caused all year.

Posters on here are so keen to blame the RFL for the problems within SL yet, as I understand it, the administration of SL is still almost entirely independent of the RFL. Talks about recombining the two have been dragging on for months, which is no doubt one of the causes of any delay in publishing fixtures. More important will be the details of structures for 2023, which will be almost entirely determined by the SL chairmen.

Don't let them duck the blame for the problems that they have caused.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

World Club Challenge unlikely to happen – TotalRL.com | Rugby League Express | Rugby League World

Details here of dates, number of rounds etc. Obviously not the P&R status yet, but that is up to the clubs to decide so it is within their control.

Thanks for the link, Dave.

As for the WCC, "It's probably doubtful" - what a wonderful turn of phrase which I look forward to using.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

As for the WCC, "It's probably doubtful" - what a wonderful turn of phrase which I look forward to using.

Yes, I may start to use that with regards deadlines at work 😆

16 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Clever old SL! Once again managing to get the RFL to take the flak for all of the problems that they have caused all year.

Posters on here are so keen to blame the RFL for the problems within SL yet, as I understand it, the administration of SL is still almost entirely independent of the RFL. Talks about recombining the two have been dragging on for months, which is no doubt one of the causes of any delay in publishing fixtures. More important will be the details of structures for 2023, which will be almost entirely determined by the SL chairmen.

Don't let them duck the blame for the problems that they have caused.

Don't let them of the hook. Where is the stucture and fixtures for 2024, 2025 , 2026 etc etc etc.?

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I agree with JohnM - what the hell has the 2023 structure got to do with players and their pre-season for 2023 ?

Every player will (or should) be training to ensure they play the best they can and their team finished in the best position they can. If they don't and their team finishes bottom or near the bottom then they know their livelihoods are in danger regardless of what future structure is chosen. if its P&R then they'll be relegated, if its licencing then they know they stand a good chance of not getting a SL licence. If they play poorly in 2022, even of their team does OK they also know they themselves could find themselves looking for a new club.

I seriously doubt many current players have given more than a passing thought to the 2023 structure and are instead focused on what they'll do in 2022.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

50 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

It's the polar opposite of a ''definite maybe''. You can have that one too. 

15 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I agree with JohnM - what the hell has the 2023 structure got to do with players and their pre-season for 2023 ?

Every player will (or should) be training to ensure they play the best they can and their team finished in the best position they can. If they don't and their team finishes bottom or near the bottom then they know their livelihoods are in danger regardless of what future structure is chosen. if its P&R then they'll be relegated, if its licencing then they know they stand a good chance of not getting a SL licence. If they play poorly in 2022, even of their team does OK they also know they themselves could find themselves looking for a new club.

I seriously doubt many current players have given more than a passing thought to the 2023 structure and are instead focused on what they'll do in 2022.

It ain't anything to do with individual player's, it is what befalls the clubs and the structures moving forward, it is also involving the paying public any lack of decision could effect season ticket sales, it could also if say SL decides to go back to Licencing for 2023 drive people away from the game, this has been discussed many times on these pages that a lot of Championship fans would decide to give the sport up than play in a comp that is devoid of ambition and has no reward, I for one would be one of them, and I suspect those who put money into their clubs would follow suit.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

It has everything to do with recruitment. Do teams need to assemble the best side possible for a one season mass relegation event or do they need to recruit sensibly and get themselves on a sound financial footing post-COVID.

I'm struggling to understand how it's contentious to say that it's unacceptable that we have teams unaware of how many teams are getting relegated the following season, and indeed on what basis, when we're already in pre-season. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It ain't anything to do with individual player's, it is what befalls the clubs and the structures moving forward, it is also involving the paying public any lack of decision could effect season ticket sales, it could also if say SL decides to go back to Licencing for 2023 drive people away from the game, this has been discussed many times on these pages that a lot of Championship fans would decide to give the sport up than play in a comp that is devoid of ambition and has no reward, I for one would be one of them, and I suspect those who put money into their clubs would follow suit.

Have you forgotten we're actually still in 2021 and the 2023 season is probably 16-17 months away. Why all the dummy spitting from people about not having the 2023 structure known now ??

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It has everything to do with recruitment. Do teams need to assemble the best side possible for a one season mass relegation event or do they need to recruit sensibly and get themselves on a sound financial footing post-COVID.

I'm struggling to understand how it's contentious to say that it's unacceptable that we have teams unaware of how many teams are getting relegated the following season, and indeed on what basis, when we're already in pre-season. 

As far as i'm aware every club employs players who have a relegation clause in their contracts. They all recruit now on the basis of being in SL the following year but have contracts in place that account for relegation should it happen. Teams aren't going to change their recruitment policies just because they don't know whether 1 or 2 teams (or any teams) will be getting relegated come September / October 2023.

Any club who recruits beyond their financial means is poorly managed and quite frankly deserves to be relegated.

If people can't see why it's a problem that clubs are setting their 2022 budgets without knowing what they're playing for I despair. If this disastrous twox10s is coming in then it's going to force clubs all over the place to try and bolster their squads compared to a baseline season.

Archived