League restructure discussion thread (Merged)

21 minutes ago, tec said:

A proper league structure with promotion/relegation works for 99% of sports. If your good enough you go up and down if not. The location of clubs  or how many likes you have on social media shouldn’t come into it. Put some stability in the structure and let the lower league clubs have something to aim for instead of them worrying they will be cut adrift.

I do agree it’s a woeful excuse to use social media as a means of income.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I didn't say it shouldn't, just that the assertion that 99% of sports do it was wrong.

I think if you did an assessment of all the worlds sports from bottom leagues up you will find my 99% is fairly accurate. 

4 minutes ago, tec said:

I think if you did an assessment of all the worlds sports from bottom leagues up you will find my 99% is fairly accurate. 

I think it's only fair to show the results of your in depth assessment, and how you drew your 99% conclusion, before expecting others to do it 😂

11 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Nor Salford and Huddersfield

They are no better off. The drawbridge went up and they all dwelled in a comfort zone. An elite league that isn’t elite. As soon as something violates that comfort zone the rules change.

Well it’s time for change to make the product (SL) elite. If that comes at cost to clubs who have continued in their comfort zones then sobeit. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think it's only fair to show the results of your in depth assessment, and how you drew your 99% conclusion, before expecting others to do it 😂

Of course as an example, I will start with the UK Cricket,Football,RL,RU,Hockey,Basketball apologies for those sports I have omitted.

Feel free to survey the rest of the world but I still hold onto the hope that it’s not all based on monetary values otherwise Elon Musk would be leading the Tour de France every year.

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Most sports, in the UK and in the rest of the world, run with a single elite division.

Very few have the luxury of being able to afford promotion and relegation. Often people are blinded to this because of the predominance of football.

That is not true in so far as the UK is concerned.

Promotion and relegation exists in most  club team sports.

Soccer , Rugby Union . Rugby league, Cricket, Tennis, Athletics etc  all have p and r at national regional and local level.

It's the British way of recognising winners and losers

Even if those clubs having eventually 'made it ' into the elite ( in whatever sport ) then try their best to pull up the drawbridge after them,,,,,,,,,,

11 minutes ago, del capo said:

That is not true in so far as the UK is concerned.

Promotion and relegation exists in most  club team sports.

Soccer , Rugby Union . Rugby league, Cricket, Tennis, Athletics etc  all have p and r at national regional and local level.

It's the British way of recognising winners and losers

Even if those clubs having eventually 'made it ' into the elite ( in whatever sport ) then try their best to pull up the drawbridge after them,,,,,,,,,,

Are all contenders part-time or full time in those sports in a lower tier to the elite league? Example… Is the second division in cricket part-time or ft?

3 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Are all contenders part-time or full time in those sports in a lower tier to the elite league? Example… Is the second division in cricket part-time or ft?

Not sure what the amount of time put into your chosen sport has to do with it.

The second divisions for instance in Soccer RU Cricket and even to an extent RL are full time professionals. Part time professionals exist further down the chain in most other team sports.. We have pros round here in the Lancs cricket Leagues all the way down.....

Still not sure of your point though. What motivates a team to seek promotion or avoid relegation is certainly  not just money even at levels where that is available.

7 minutes ago, del capo said:

Not sure what the amount of time put into your chosen sport has to do with it.

The second divisions for instance in Soccer RU Cricket and even to an extent RL are full time professionals. Part time professionals exist further down the chain in most other team sports.. We have pros round here in the Lancs cricket Leagues all the way down.....

Still not sure of your point though. What motivates a team to seek promotion or avoid relegation is certainly  not just money even at levels where that is available.

How many RL clubs are full time in Championship?

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There has never been P&R between the County Championship and the Minor Counties in Cricket for as long as I can remember and when I googled British Basketball P&R the very first thing is that there is no P&R to and from the BBL as it is a franchised league.

Find that strange all the leagues in Basketball just stay as they are. Is there any point in playing games ?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Havent read through all this but sensible decision.  10 team SL is dumb.  

Just feel bad for clubs who budgeted to stay up and now have to do it next year.  But championship is now stacked and when Toulouse stay up I pray some serious thinking starts. 

They have time as it will be in force 2024. Dumb as you think it maybe.

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There has never been P&R between the County Championship and the Minor Counties in Cricket for as long as I can remember and when I googled British Basketball P&R the very first thing is that there is no P&R to and from the BBL as it is a franchised league.

Cricket has P&R within the two County divisions. Minor Counties was always  a stand alone comp with lots of 2nd X1 but still produced 4 full County sides over the years . Durham being the latest. It has no feeder  sides as such by definition of its identity ( 20 counties ) but plays East / West conference style  rather than divisions to offset travel and  other logistics.

RL has no P&R between Tiers 3 and 4. but that doesn't mean the whole structure isn't based  on it.

As for Basketball lets just say they follow  the American franchise system.....

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

Cricket has P&R within the two County divisions. Minor Counties was always  a stand alone comp with lots of 2nd X1 but still produced 4 full County sides over the years . Durham being the latest. It has no feeder  sides as such by definition of its identity ( 20 counties ) but plays East / West conference style  rather than divisions to offset travel and  other logistics.

RL has no P&R between Tiers 3 and 4. but that doesn't mean the whole structure isn't based  on it.

As for Basketball lets just say they follow  the American franchise system.....

You cant have P&R between 3 and 4. All below 3 are amateur. They have to request.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

For sports that struggle to attract investors franchising helps protect the inbestment and give more confidence to owners and sponsors. 

I dont want it for uk twams Its better than 2 x10 plus national teams who dont want to travel to Cornwall. 

I agree  but it can become all to easily a private members club with greed taking over.

Do we  really want an NRL style competition over here that  has become a protectionist racket that even billionaires  can't crack with solid  expansion plans ?

Archived