Best GB or England Side in your time watching RL?

29 minutes ago, Niels said:

This was the era I was thinking of John.

The GB team was exceptionally fast, the backline were superbly quick.

I had a look at the Australian side that day and they don't look to have had as good backs, certainly not as quick. However, they must have been exceptionally coached in defence to only concede 6 points to that attacking talent. 

Exactly, those sides were so quick and dangerous. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

For the last 8 years we have been kicking around Cudjoe, Gildart, Bateman, Watkins, Sarginson, Lyne, Percival, Currie et al - the cupboard is pretty bare.

Agreed. Dismal.

Lack of money in the english game means it is unlikely to get any better, unless guys are willing to move all the way to Australia and play in the Big League over there.

39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Robinson was a league junior tbf others like Loughlin, Newlove, Connolly, Schofield, Senior, Gleeson, Hunte, etc. big game centres been there and done it.

For the last 8 years we have been kicking around Cudjoe, Gildart, Bateman, Watkins, Sarginson, Lyne, Percival, Currie et al - the cupboard is pretty bare.

The 1992 World Cup team that many are listing only had 1 ex RU player in the starting 13.

I think we need to be careful not to look at these things with rose tinted glasses. There is a fair few years between the likes of Loughlin and Gleeson. We have never had a huge selection of players and I remember the likes of Daryl Powell and Nick Pinkney getting picked for GB/England whilst playing in the 2nd Division. Pretty unthinkable now.

I also remember various big names getting dropped in the 80s and 90s due to their performances, the Edwards, Schofields etc of this world. Similarly people talk about the early 2000s but yet at times we had the likes of Karl Pratt and Richard Horne on the wings. Our wing stocks in recent times have been as healthy as I can remember. As good as the 1992 team were we were ultimately as close to winning as we were in 2017.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

The 1992 World Cup team that many are listing only had 1 ex RU player in the starting 13.

I think we need to be careful not to look at these things with rose tinted glasses. There is a fair few years between the likes of Loughlin and Gleeson. We have never had a huge selection of players and I remember the likes of Daryl Powell and Nick Pinkney getting picked for GB/England whilst playing in the 2nd Division. Pretty unthinkable now.

I also remember various big names getting dropped in the 80s and 90s due to their performances, the Edwards, Schofields etc of this world. Similarly people talk about the early 2000s but yet at times we had the likes of Karl Pratt and Richard Horne on the wings. Our wing stocks in recent times have been as healthy as I can remember. As good as the 1992 team were we were ultimately as close to winning as we were in 2017.

Arguably, the 2013 WC semi-final team was stronger than the 2017 IMO. It had O'Loughlin, Burgess, Graham Roby, Hall, Tomkins (speed version) at their absolute best. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

This was the era I was thinking of John.

The GB team was exceptionally fast, the backline were superbly quick.

I had a look at the Australian side that day and they don't look to have had as good backs, certainly not as quick. However, they must have been exceptionally coached in defence to only concede 6 points to that attacking talent. 

Steve Renouf and Mal Meninga in the centre and Michael Hancock and Willie Carne on the wings.  Seem pretty handy to me especially in the centres.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Steve Renouf and Mal Meninga in the centre and Michael Hancock and Willie Carne on the wings.  Seem pretty handy to me especially in the centres.

I think the point was probably about speed rather than ability (I hope so lol). Those players were top class but Australia have had faster three quarters - especially as Mal was well into his 30s by then.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the point was probably about speed rather than ability (I hope so lol). Those players were top class but Australia have had faster three quarters - especially as Mal was well into his 30s by then.

Fair enough.  But I wouldn't want to have been the one chasing Renouf, Carne or Hancock... none of them were slouches.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If I had to pick the best team from all the England/Great Britain players I have seen, I would go with the following... assuming they are all playing at the top of their game.

1. Jonathan Davies 

2. Jason Robinson 

3. Paul Newlove

4. Gary Connolly

5. Martin Offiah

6. Garry Schofield 

7. Andy Gregory 

8. Kevin Ward

9. Keiron Cunningham 

10. Sam Burgess

11. Denis Betts

12. Paul Sculthorpe 

13. Ellery Hanley 

14. James Roby

15. Jamie Peacock 

16. Andy Platt

17. Sean Edwards

This is about perfect for me - except maybe the bench.

I think you've probably got the best four players but, certainly in the game now, I don't think we could carry a spare hooker and half. It's not like either really had a regular second position.

I'd take out Edwards (reluctantly) for Farrell (could cover most positions serviceably) or perhaps Gaz Ellis, when he was first transitioning to the pack, when he could still effectively cover the centres.

People called Romans they go the house

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That ‘94 test was my first live experience of GB.

What a game and performance.

Foolishly I thought it would alway be like that!  Haha

This got me thinking, the first Aussie game I saw was 2nd Test Lang Park Brisbane 1988. 32-2  if I remember and I'm tempted to say every game seemed like that since.  Ok things cheered up a bit for the 3rd Test but still.....

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Opinions are not facts. Expect opinions to be challenged and justification requested. That's the way it is with forums.

In my opinion, in my experience, the best team was the one that came second to Australia in the 1992 World Cup Final at Wembley. I was there, in amongst the record crowd. We really were in with a shout until Steve Renouf broke all our hearts.  The relief on the faces of those Aussies in the crowd was there for all to see, which to me shows the quality of our team

The closest were been for years, and to lose 10 -6 was heartbreaking. In my opinion, no team has ever come closer. This was the best of British that day.

FB 1 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Joe Lydon
RW 2 12px-Saintscolours.svg.png Alan Hunte
RC 3 12px-Saintscolours.svg.png Gary Connolly
LC 4 12px-Rhinoscolours.svg.png Garry Schofield (c)
LW 5 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Martin Offiah
SO 6 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Shaun Edwards
SH 7 12px-Bullscolours.svg.png Deryck Fox
PR 8 12px-Saintscolours.svg.png Kevin Ward
HK 9 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Martin Dermott
PR 10 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Andy Platt
SR 11 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Denis Betts
SR 12 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Phil Clarke
LK 13 12px-Rhinoscolours.svg.png Ellery Hanley
Substitutions:
IC 14 12px-Widnes_colours.svg.png John Devereux
IC 15 12px-Rhinoscolours.svg.png Alan Tait
IC 16 12px-Wigancolours.svg.png Kelvin Skerrett
IC 17 12px-Widnes_colours.svg.png Richard Eyres

That team had a good kicking game.  I don’t think we’ve had that for many years.  2 excellent kickers at half back plus Lydon, Edwards, Schofield (t’chip over top), Hanley.  So many options.

1. Joe Lydon - his best position often used too much as a utility at Wigan. 

2. Ryan Hall - his international try scoring tally is second all time

3. Keith Senior

4. Paul Loughlin - under rated and all ways played so well for GB even though there are more talented players possibly Newlove.

5. Martin Offiah

6. Gary Schofield - still never replaced him at stand off fir international was at one point the best 6 in the world and maybe only Lewis maybe Kenny better in my lifetime maybe ever.

7. Andy Gregory - like Schoey never been replaced up there with Sterling Johns Thurston

8. Kevin Ward - monster can’t believe more have not mentioned him. Should be in hall if fame.

9. Lee Jackson - tough one this Roby and a few others better all round players but Jackson electric hooker international, but poor defender

10. Lee Crooks - superb taken,  yes his career had ups and downs and he should have achieved more but what a ball player and RL brain for a forward.

11. Adrien Morley- up there with the best  forwards of all time, hall of famer in waiting 

12. Jamie Peacock - prop or second row, could of gone for Betts or Ellis tough category

13. Ellery Hanley

bench

Jonathan Davies

Kevin Sinfield 

Denis Betts

Karl Harrison

close unsung heroes for GB all players who played above their perceived ability and could slot in internationally easily. 

Roy Powell

Carl Gibson

Paul Eastwood

Henderson Gill

Mike Gregory 

Martin Dermot

both Hulme brothers  

Hugh Waddel 

some great players in those line ups - imagine having jason robinson- paul sculthorpe  - james graham- martin offiah and sam burgess in the same team - of course this is only for fun though - in reality we have reece lynn 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Phew George, have you got a tin hat?

How long is it since any of your forwards actually donned a pair of boots? and it is 20+ years since your two most recent backs played.

Do you not realise that these part-timers would find it difficult to compete with the modern day athletes of today's game, even if you made an allowance and subjected your selection to full time status, they would not have the skill set to overcome the modern player's.😉

Some goods points there Harry but who would I select to coach my individuals team? Perhaps someone who  played or been good enough to play at international level.Maybe someone who has played in an Ashes series win and then gone on to coach an Ashes series win. Or how about someone who had played with, mentored and coached the player that had the aforementioned Ashes winning double? My coach would be British, ambitious,strong on personal management, highly innovative and possibly had experienced adversity in his life. Also he would have played and coached for a club side and taken them from lower mid-table to multiple league champions and CC finals within a decade of starting at the club.

Any ideas?

Archived