Featherstone should rebrand to Yorkshire Rovers

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Our name is famous. Think of what we have accomplished.  People from surrounding areas come to us . In the old days I used to monitor trains running from railways stations to Featherstone full of suuporters. The size of the town is not important it is the way it is used with its assets to attract people into the greound and surrounmding areas. KEEP  the name and do some successful marketing and  use the land and resources to the best of our ability. If I was using Featherstone assets I would diversify and go down other paths of income raising. Use your products to the best of their ability. What do people spend their money on? Find the output and go for it. Name change? Forget it. We are a pround club with great traditions. UTR.  

What are these railway stations you speak of????

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Rebranding to Yorkshire will help Fev get rid of the small town image they have and give them an opportunity to attract a potential audience of over 5 million. 

Discuss. 

Only 5 million? Not worth it then.

13 hours ago, Grand Est said:

Great to see something finally being done about them. A section of their fans are horrific. Worse than any other club in my experience.

I think horrific is overboard and we have a MINORITY of idiots and we Fev fans are as disgusted as you at there behaviour. I've been to virtually every ground in the past 50 years and seen worse then what we have. It's GOT TO STOP though because it's not helping our club, what goes through  their minds is anyone's guess.

What a shile of pite. Featherstone doesn't want to get rid of it's small town image, it wants to embrace it. It needs to do one more thing on top of what it's already doing and that's win more games than anyone else. Castleford's not exactly a bustling metropolis, Leigh is borough of Wigan, good grief they even play in the same colours. Widnes a little backwater on the Mersey. No Featherstone needs to win promotion, not do something daft like change its name.

6 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I think horrific is overboard and we have a MINORITY of idiots and we Fev fans are as disgusted as you at there behaviour. I've been to virtually every ground in the past 50 years and seen worse then what we have. It's GOT TO STOP though because it's not helping our club, what goes through  their minds is anyone's guess.

Feb have consistently had a small bunch of n**heads everytime they've come the last few years.

I like binge drinking as much as the next man but don't have to drink all the beer all on the coach down before midday ....it breeds n**head behaviour 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Feb have consistently had a small bunch of n**heads everytime they've come the last few years.

I like binge drinking as much as the next man but don't have to drink all the beer all on the coach down before midday ....it breeds n**head behaviour 

Indeed. However, isn't this the case?

Essentially it's illegal to possess alcohol, drink alcohol, or be drunk on a vehicle principally being used to convey passengers to specific sporting events. Also for private vehicles > 8 passengers the driver and hirer cannot knowingly allow it to take place, so a coach driver is perfectly entitled to prevent alcohol being brought on board, and also confiscate it (the alternative is to kick them off if they don't agree!)

5 hours ago, Grand Est said:

Nah. Not really. A good few of them are absolutely horrendous. Pure racists.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't agree with you.

Featherstone Rovers have a few unpleasant supporters, and I wish the club could do something about them. I certainly don’t want to spend a couple of hours within yards of them and have, at times, moved to another part of the ground. Post Office Road is not the only ground where this has happened.

Horrendous is a ridiculous word from a ridiculous contributor (and supported, I note, by others who should be ashamed of themselves). There are horrendous situations in the world - make your own list - but a handful of mouthy and unpleasant drunkards doesn’t compare with the true horror to be found.

The community of Featherstone is pretty decent, and similar to many towns which have lost their primary industry - the steel and mining towns and villages of South Wales and the North East come to mind - coping well enough with a high level of poverty, poor services and an unfairly insufficient share of government spending. Of course, blaming the victims (of comparative poverty and deprivation in this case) has become a modern spectator and participation activity these days. As an interesting observation, I find that the reaction of people who discover the details of the Featherstone Incident (some use the word massacre) of 1893 indicative of the mind of the observer. Sympathetic folk are sympathetic and see victims, accusatory folk believe that those who suffered deserved it.

3 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Featherstone Rovers have a few unpleasant supporters, and I wish the club could do something about them. I certainly don’t want to spend a couple of hours within yards of them and have, at times, moved to another part of the ground. Post Office Road is not the only ground where this has happened.

I posted on the championship thread a couple of months back, that POR is the only RL ground where I wouldn't take my family. 

Accept that it's a small minority and the vast bulk of Fev fans are decent people, same as RL fans anywhere else. And of course all clubs have their share of idiots and people who can't take their drink.

Still, it's been like that for years and I don't see any action from the club to make the ground feel safe or welcoming for away fans, to deal with racist comments etc.

5 hours ago, JonM said:

I posted on the championship thread a couple of months back, that POR is the only RL ground where I wouldn't take my family. 

Accept that it's a small minority and the vast bulk of Fev fans are decent people, same as RL fans anywhere else. And of course all clubs have their share of idiots and people who can't take their drink.

Still, it's been like that for years and I don't see any action from the club to make the ground feel safe or welcoming for away fans, to deal with racist comments etc.

Club definitely needs to sort them out and MC could maybe go over to them and have a word in their ears(  sounds a bit daft i know) but they have to try ANYTHING to get it sorted.

10 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Horrendous is a ridiculous word from a ridiculous contributor (and supported, I note, by others who should be ashamed of themselves).

As an interesting observation, I find that the reaction of people who discover the details of the Featherstone Incident (some use the word massacre) of 1893 indicative of the mind of the observer.

I'll tell you what is "ridiculous" son: you dribbling on about an incident from 1893, as if it has any relevance at all to a bunch of racist rugby league fans in 2021. 

Put yourself in the shoes of the French people they were racially abusing and see if you still try to excuse their behaviour.

It was horrendous.

7 hours ago, JonM said:

There are several people who have been banned from POR in recent years.  They still turn up at away games though.

The incidents this year were pretty embarrassing and were steward failures more than anything.  The Halifax one would have been a non event if the stewards had prevented the 5 or so idiots getting on the pitch.  Also don't know why that group were allowed to position themselves right next to the 'fax fans.  It was a recipe for unpleasant chanting etc.  The Widnes incident (which I witnessed) was a bunch of tanked up scousers who took their defeat badly and started swinging punches. Fev have rightly been fined because it could and should have been prevented by better stewarding.

In fact the stewarding at Rovers is pretty dreadful all-round. They're far more interested in telling folk off for vaping in the open air and antagonising decent supporters than they are in tackling the actual bad behaviour of the tiny minority. A point I've raised with the club (but been ignored) several times.

I know a lot of folk like to jizz themselves dry whenever Fev and supporter behaviour are mentioned in the same paragraph, but let's have a bit of perspective.

16 hours ago, Grand Est said:

Nah. Not really. A good few of them are absolutely horrendous. Pure racists.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't agree with you.

Apart from some pretty juvenile (and totally unacceptable) chanting about Bradford's asian population, I haven't heard anything racist at POR since the 80s.  Would you mind clarifying what you mean when you say "pure racists"?

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You're not allowed to drink on the supporter's coaches.

Easy to blame drink.  4000 or so of us were very tanked up (me especially) at Wembley this year.  Not a sniff of trouble.

1 hour ago, Grand Est said:

I'll tell you what is "ridiculous" son: you dribbling on about an incident from 1893, as if it has any relevance at all to a bunch of racist rugby league fans in 2021. 

Put yourself in the shoes of the French people they were racially abusing and see if you still try to excuse their behaviour.

It was horrendous.

As you know, I did not excuse unpleasant behaviour. I do not do so, and have spent a lifetime you don’t know about fighting prejudice in its many forms. I did offer a perspective on your own prejudices, and those of a few others.

But no matter. I shall now find other ways to access news and comment on my sport and I shall no longer share any platform which encourages such disturbingly vile prejudice as your own. Feel free to take pleasure in making this my last ever post on this forum; count it as a victory. I promise I shall not be back.

19 hours ago, JohnM said:

Indeed. However, isn't this the case?

Essentially it's illegal to possess alcohol, drink alcohol, or be drunk on a vehicle principally being used to convey passengers to specific sporting events. Also for private vehicles > 8 passengers the driver and hirer cannot knowingly allow it to take place, so a coach driver is perfectly entitled to prevent alcohol being brought on board, and also confiscate it (the alternative is to kick them off if they don't agree!)

I actually think supporters coming down here on the coach should be allowed a few beers . I would myself if we had a northern bound coach for away fixtures. Just don't drink to get battered so early. Get nicely drunk 

Archived