Garry Schofield challenges Wigan chief on the state of Rugby League

Lenagan has an interest in talking the game up - he has season tickets to sell after all. And it's in everyone's interests to have a positive narrative around the sport. I don't blame Lenagan for that and I also believe that what he says in public should be different to what he says privately. That said, the tone in those comments seems much more upbeat than the tone he stuck at a recent fans forum. 

And maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it's interesting to see the comments from Lenagan seemingly positioning the growth of Catalans and Toulouse as a 'Super League' success, rather than a success of those respective clubs. A cynic could make the case that their success has come in spite of the actions of some in the English game, rather than being aided by it. 

But let's be honest here, what Schofield is offering up is a bit of a rant that goes over pretty well-trodden ground. It's a cheap, lazy column that just poses a list of rhetorical questions and doesn't really lead thought in this debate. 

And, to be honest, he pretty much undoes his entire argument with his closing line: "Attempts to progress Rugby League are going to be more easily achieved and much more effective if everyone involved is pulling on the same piece of rope."

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

If Lenagan can't see there's any issues with the game at present then that says it all in my book.

Yes, we all know that the game has problems, and COVID has hit RL hard, just like it has hit every other sport. I'm sure Lenagan's very aware of the game's issues. More aware than most of us, including Garry Schofield, considering Ian's position in the game. He just tries to point out that there are some positives too.

He isn't having a dig or a pop, or being disrespectful; that is just Schofield acting thin-skinned to try and support his argument. And was Garry really trying to imply a link between being a SL breakaway advocate and boring Rugby?

Plus "I’m in the position to be able to speak for the average supporter who thinks like me" is inadvertently telling.

Schofield makes valid points in the article, but the pose of outrage doesn't help him. His final sentence before he addresses the concussion issue is correct, and goes right across the game, up to the pinnacle of the sport (the sabotage of the World Cup, for instance). It would be nice if everyone pulled together, but it is unlikely to happen in the real world.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Schofield certainly does not speak for me. The give-away is when he writes,"I’m in the position to be able to speak for the average supporter who thinks like me" He surely does not speak for the avarge supporter, only those like him, looking downwards and inwards.

He writes, "We all accept that the pandemic has thrown up unprecedented problems and challenges," then contradicts himself with "And why, Mr Lenagan, are we seeing dismal attendance figures..."  That might just be that people are being sensible and exercising personal responsibility in the fight against a rapid increase in cases and watching on TV instead.

anyway, here's someone else for Schofield to take issue with

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Schofield certainly does not speak for me. The give-away is when he writes,"I’m in the position to be able to speak for the average supporter who thinks like me" He surely does not speak for the avarge supporter, only those like him, looking downwards and inwards.

He writes, "We all accept that the pandemic has thrown up unprecedented problems and challenges," then contradicts himself with "And why, Mr Lenagan, are we seeing dismal attendance figures..."  That might just be that people are being sensible and exercising personal responsibility in the fight against a rapid increase in cases and watching on TV instead.

Cannot agree with David Argyle as it is the RFL, the clubs and SL: not miserable fans who have caused the decline in interest in the game. Covid has been a factor granted.

On 02/11/2021 at 13:56, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

If Lenagan can't see there's any issues with the game at present then that says it all in my book.

That's because Lenagan is not interested in the broad church of Rugby League, he is only interested in the small clique of "Super League" owners who think as he does, nobody else matters.

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Perhaps the alleged billionaire Argyle might deign to honour us moaning etc etc fans with his physical presence on the terraces at fev ,Leigh, hull, Widnes, Keighley and many other clubs. I am sure he would be warmly welcomed.

7 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Cannot agree with David Argyle as it is the RFL, the clubs and SL: not miserable fans who have caused the decline in interest in the game. Covid has been a factor granted.

I don’t think the fans help tbf, considering this is a rugby league forum for example, the negativity towards the game from a significant number of people is astonishing. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think the fans help tbf, considering this is a rugby league forum for example, the negativity towards the game from a significant number of people is astonishing. 

You always seem to step in as the innocent one. Just at the right time.

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

His comments are not always very well thought out though.

He isn't someone I would take notice of. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/48628433.amp

6 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Personally I have no time for the Lenagan‘s in our sport. The sooner we are rid the better the game will become.

If you got your wish SL would collapse overnight.

Unless of course you have a devilish plan to magic up the millions that the likes of Lenegan ( he is not alone ) have thrown at their hobby......

Not just won the Euro Lottery have you ?

7 minutes ago, del capo said:

If you got your wish SL would collapse overnight.

Unless of course you have a devilish plan to magic up the millions that the likes of Lenegan ( he is not alone ) have thrown at their hobby......

Not just won the Euro Lottery have you ?

It is collapsing. Have you not noticed? The game has run away from him. 

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

Well summed up David

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Schofield was a very good player, but as a PUNDIT he's an attention seeker.

A majority of fans laugh at his opinions as in the modern game he's way of the pace.

I should have made my comment clearer. 

The  give-away is when he writes,"I’m in the position to be able to speak for the average supporter who thinks like me".   He surely does not speak for the average supporter, only those like him, looking downwards and inwards.

The words in bold do not  refer to me, but point to the fact that he does speak for those average supporters who think like he does. In other words, it is circular: he speaks for people wo agree with him.He clearly does not speak for those average supporters who, like me, do not think like him.

The vast majority of fans in my view, don't think like him, forunately. Imagine being told that you think like him. The shame of it.  Yes, the proportion of Schoeyfiles on here seems disproportionately high, but I dont think that represents the position of the silent majority.

As for the unexplained anti-Lenagan sentiment expressed by our newbie, well, b######t!

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Schofield was a very good player, but as a PUNDIT he's an attention seeker.

A majority of fans laugh at his opinions as in the modern game he's way of the pace.

I think he’s being honest rather than seeking attention. 

He was a very creative player who has been outspoken on the less open style of play in the game today (he isn’t a fan of Wayne Bennett that’s for sure).

In terms of negativity, there probably is too much of it (perhaps cliches like “RL is dying” is due to the sport’s perceived struggle for survival since its origin). But I think viewpoints like Schofield’s can be misconstrued as negative when he’s actually wanting to see the game be the best it can be (constructive criticism).

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

I think he’s being honest rather than seeking attention. 

He was a very creative player who has been outspoken on the less open style of play in the game today (he isn’t a fan of Wayne Bennett that’s for sure).

In terms of negativity, there probably is too much of it (perhaps cliches like “RL is dying” is due to the sport’s perceived struggle for survival since its origin). But I think viewpoints like Schofield’s can be misconstrued as negative when he’s actually wanting to see the game be the best it can be (constructive criticism).

Constructive + criticism are not two words normally associated with Schofield.  He's trying to make a living post-career, though, out of being controversial.

Archived