Garry Schofield challenges Wigan chief on the state of Rugby League

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Constructive + criticism are not two words normally associated with Schofield.  He's trying to make a living post-career, though, out of being controversial.

You bury your head in the sand John and reject what Mr Schofield says as purely being controversial, the sport is fast approaching a crisis point if it has not already got there. 

Blame attendances on Covid if you wish but around these parts there is a genuine interest in watching live sport, look at the attendances at the football clubs in the Gt Manchester/Merseyside area's, look at the how people clamoured for tickets for the 100 at Old Trafford, even the only RU club of any standing Sale Sharks is gaining in its attendance figures whilst RL is suffering in attracting the number of fans it did only a few short years ago, didn't someone say that Rugby League will always be King in Wigan, it has now been overtaken in popularity by the 3rd division football club that is in the town.

Mr Leneghan has no option but to "talk it up" so to speak, but the powers that be need remedial action not words, if things are not improved both on and off the field then soon we will observe further drops in attendances, less contract TV money, and a reduction in sponsership.

I believe Mr Schofield is genuinely worried for the sport as I do, I make these comments as someone with a great concern for where the game is heading, not just to whinge and moan as some would say and I firmly believe that is also Mr Schofield's concern.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You bury your head in the sand John and reject what Mr Schofield says as purely being controversial, the sport is fast approaching a crisis point if it has not already got there. 

Blame attendances on Covid if you wish but around these parts there is a genuine interest in watching live sport, look at the attendances at the football clubs in the Gt Manchester/Merseyside area's, look at the how people clamoured for tickets for the 100 at Old Trafford, even the only RU club of any standing Sale Sharks is gaining in its attendance figures whilst RL is suffering in attracting the number of fans it did only a few short years ago, didn't someone say that Rugby League will always be King in Wigan, it has now been overtaken in popularity by the 3rd division football club that is in the town.

Mr Leneghan has no option but to "talk it up" so to speak, but the powers that be need remedial action not words, if things are not improved both on and off the field then soon we will observe further drops in attendances, less contract TV money, and a reduction in sponsership.

I believe Mr Schofield is genuinely worried for the sport as I do, I make these comments as someone with a great concern for where the game is heading, not just to whinge and moan as some would say and I firmly believe that is also Mr Schofield's concern.

I respect your point of view and don't disagree with it completely. There is no doubt in my mind that Schofield was a great player in his day, that he is still in close contact with it, and that he has a perfect right to air his opinion.  Possibly an out of date phrase that he should bear in mind: "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions."

It seems to me that he is totally at odds with the strategy, operation and tactics of the whole sport, without actually any responsibility.

Just now, JohnM said:

I respect your point of view and don't disagree with it completely. There is no doubt in my mind that Schofield was a great player in his day, that he is still in close contact with it, and that he has a perfect right to air his opinion.  Possibly an out of date phrase that he should bear in mind: "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions."

It seems to me that he is totally at odds with the strategy, operation and tactics of the whole sport, without actually any responsibility.

Agreed. I do get the impression that whatever action the game takes that Schofield would then take the opposite viewpoint and say its wrong.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Agreed. I do get the impression that whatever action the game takes that Schofield would then take the opposite viewpoint and say its wrong.

Would it make any difference who says something that needs saying?

If I am correct Damien you Hail from the parish of Wigan, do you get out and about in the town and hear the reaction of people when Wigan Warriors is brought up in conversation?

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Having listened to him on the Forty20 podcasts he’s been very consistent with his viewpoint. He was a maverick as a player, an attacking player who got people off their seat, so it’s natural someone of that ilk wouldn’t find some (much?) of the current product his cup of tea.

The folk at Wigan are voting with their feet. What was it 7k for a playoff game vs Leeds?

Shaun Wane (to me anyway) is a millstone around the neck for RL. He wins yes, as does Wayne Bennett, but he wins in a style that doesn’t excite. Spurs fans just got their new coach sacked (only been in the job for three months) as the stuff he churned out was negative. Sit back, soak up pressure, hit teams on the break...as a result Harry Kane has barely got a kick of the ball in the attacking third and his goals have dried up. Mourinho (another dinosaur) is effectively finished as no top club would now be desperate enough to tolerate his similar pragmatic, cautious, defence first approach. RL is full of pragmatism, of defensive organisation, of slowing down the opposition (getting off the ball carrier one by one during the PTB to reset the defensive line), of squeezing the opposition’s attacking threat to a minimum, and ultimately grinding down the opposition with the aid of “bigger, stronger, faster”. In RU this war of attrition is even more pronounced. RL isn’t the same product is was, Schofield makes this abundantly clear, and he does so as it’s the sport he loves.

Archived