Ottawa UK Location

Coincidentally, it'll take about the same time to drive to Cornwall from the north of England as it would to fly to Ottawa.

Not counting the four hour wait in the airport, obviously.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 hrs from Keighley! The Cougars will not be happy, they were hoping to make the league local next year. 

In some ways I could see this work. They may well attract a lot of holidaymakers and if they replicate the beer gardens etc at Toronto it could be a thing for people to do in the summer 

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

7 hrs from Keighley! The Cougars will not be happy, they were hoping to make the league local next year. 

In some ways I could see this work. They may well attract a lot of holidaymakers and if they replicate the beer gardens etc at Toronto it could be a thing for people to do in the summer 

I wish I was 7 hours from Keighley. 

The fact the RFL Board seem to have approved this without consultation is madness.

If it was part of a strategy to develop the sport in the wider south west region with All Golds/Gloucester/Bristol then I could see the thinking but as it stands I'm quite baffled to be honest (and that is as an expansionist).

14 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

West Wales Raiders would be closer, no?

About the same - five ish hours there, five ish hours back.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Now, obvious criticism aside, the basic premise is actually fair. Cornwall is arguably the most "rugby" focused county without a pro team and from a player development/pathway perspective it has been overlooked by the RFU over the professional era.

Its certainly not going to change the world, but it will be good for the game in the South West.

You have got to love RL for the madness 😂 Best of luck to them tho, let’s hope it’s a success.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

2 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

The fact the RFL Board seem to have approved this without consultation is madness.

If it was part of a strategy to develop the sport in the wider south west region with All Golds/Gloucester/Bristol then I could see the thinking but as it stands I'm quite baffled to be honest (and that is as an expansionist).

I'm not against this but there needs to be a plan to develop and grow the game in the South West and West of England. How many community clubs are there currently in the South West, specifically Devon and Cornwall?

As a northerner now down in Cornwall. I am ecstatic to see this.

I've advocated previously as to why it would make a lot of sense down here... They will be based at Penryn. Which effectively Falmouth. NOT Penzance as has been mentioned above.

Based in mid Cornwall where the majority of the population is. Seems sensible.

The county really is a hot bed of RU talent and there is generally not really many other sports that compete with RU down here. Perhaps it's more of a conversion strategy...

I for one will definitely be getting a season ticket! 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

it will be good for the game in the South West.

At best, that is debatable.

Unless, for example, you think that Oxford, Hemel and Gloucestershire's time in League 1 really enhanced the game in their areas.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived