Ottawa UK Location

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Colin James said:

I wish them luck but would like to place on record my prediction that this club will not exist as a professional outfit in five years time.

Are they throwing darts at a map?

Exaggerating there mate. Doubt they’ll see a third season

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I don't really see the outrage when it comes to travel, it's a nationwide professional league. 

As always finance is key. If this is well backed and funded and can pay enough to attract quality RU local players then it may go well. I have seen it said time and again what a hotbed of RU the area is and they will need to tap into that.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't really see the outrage when it comes to travel, it's a nationwide professional league. 

As always finance is key. If this is well backed and funded and can pay enough to attract quality RU local players then it may go well. I have seen it said time and again what a hotbed of RU the area is and they will need to tap into that.

No being sensible please, can’t you get hysterical that this isn’t in Birmingham or Liverpool? 

I wish them good luck and hope this club succeeds, by which I mean that the club will persist and grow at whatever level it is capable of reaching. Hopefully they can provide an outlet for the locals to watch and play the sport that previously didn't exist. Best outcome would see a bunch of community clubs springing up in a similar way to the North East and the Midlands.

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

At best, that is debatable.

Unless, for example, you think that Oxford, Hemel and Gloucestershire's time in League 1 really enhanced the game in their areas.

1 extra fan, which I believe they delivered, was a positive for the game.

Amazing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

I lived there for a while. You can have a 100+ mile queue to get into Cornwall on a summer holiday weekend.  It really will be significantly further than a trip to Toulouse or Perpignan (or Llanelli) if you try to go there in August.

That said, it is one of the few untapped markets in Britain for professional sport. Outside of Yarkshire, it's probably the only other place where people still care about what county they're from - calling it Cornwall rather than the name of a town is absolutely the right thing to do.

41 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

CLICKY

If they eventually do take off, this could be a tidy little gaff to play out of... 

spacer.png

This would be fantastic if it ever gets off the ground.

Truro FC and Cornish Pirates RU looking to make it their home. Truro FC even sold their ground and are effectively homeless atm. No doubt Cornwall RL strengthens the argument towards getting funding for it.

Requires £14m of Government funding, mind. And it was overlooked in the recent Autumn Budget... so chances of it coming into fruition seem to be sliding.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

I lived there for a while. You can have a 100+ mile queue to get into Cornwall on a summer holiday weekend.  It really will be significantly further than a trip to Toulouse or Perpignan (or Llanelli) if you try to go there in August.

That said, it is one of the few untapped markets in Britain for professional sport. Outside of Yarkshire, it's probably the only other place where people still care about what county they're from - calling it Cornwall rather than the name of a town is absolutely the right thing to do.

No doubt August holidays are long queues down the M5. But you can also fly from LBA/Manchester/Teeside/Doncaster during the summer RL season. Takes less than an hour. I do it frequently for business.

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

1 extra fan, which I believe they delivered, was a positive for the game.

Definitely worth it, then. No downsides.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

no doubt they’ve done their research

There's no evidence of this whatsoever.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well you can rely on Eric, for some lateral thinking.

I love it and I wish him/them well.

I'm really interested to see what he/they can make of it. 

Archived