The Cornwall RLFC Thread

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They could take the game to the wider Cornish public with annual on the road games at Tintagel and St Michael’s Mount. 

Joking aside, Polson Bridge, the home of Launceston RFC on the Cornwall Devon border, is one of the most delightfully-situated rugby grounds I know. Right on the banks of the River Tamar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

In the 3 hours of their social media history, they have already amassed 6k followers, just under half the amount of clubs such as Workington Town or Sheffield Eagles have, only 4k short of Doncaster and 2k short of London Skolars. Good start, I'd say. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Copa said:

What’s “rugby league” in Cornish?

"Kesunyans Rugbi"

I should know. I live about 5 miles away from the Penryn Rugby Club ! !

• Like 6

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Rugby in Cornish is "rugbi" so it would probably make sense to put the Roman numerals after it, "Rugbi XIII".

Rugby League in Cornish is:- 'Kesunyans Rugbi'

• Like 1

I know it's quite unusual for a rugby league fan to say this of an expansion attempt, but I rather like the idea of having a professional RL team in Cornwall.  I would be very happy to watch away games there, put it that way!  (It may be a while before they get to Superleague though)  I do hope the club succeeds, and takes the amateur club already established down there with it in its success.  

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, tiffers said:

As a player, why would you want to move your family to Falmouth? Complete and utter 'hole... "I'd much prefer to be in Dewsbury..." 🤣

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11085578.falmouth-fourth-best-place-to-live-in-britain-what-you-said/

Having just spent all day today, as I have, down in sunny Falmouth and in particular inside the National Maritime Museum overlooking the Carrick Roads, the Roseland Peninsular and the town's bustling harbour with an Australian Billionair's mega super yacht moored on the floating pontoons then, yes, it may be a 'close run race' between Falmouth and Dewsbury. Possibly with Falmouth edging it by a 'short head' so to speak !      

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

In pursuit of a little balance, herewith some optimism:

First, Cornwall punches far above its demographic weight when it comes to producing rugby players and athletes. A good example of this is the Bill Beaumont RU County Championship which, over recent years, has been dominated by four sides: three Rugby League heartland counties (Yorkshire, Cheshire, and Lancashire) and Cornwall.

So, looking ahead to the future, Cornwall is somewhat likely to become a net exporter of Rugby League players. Also note that its population is in excess of 560,000 - more than St. Helens, Wigan, and Widnes combined.

Second, the game we all love has just embedded itself as far south and as far west as it is possible in mainland Britain. Celebrate it.

Third, those travelling to follow their teams will be sure to receive a great welcome at The Memorial Ground in Penryn for the club's first season. My son has played for Penryn RFC juniors, and I cannot speak highly enough of those involved with  the oldest Rugby club in Cornwall. What is more, it is just minutes away from some of the most beautiful scenery you will find in the country.

Christian.  Does this really mean we shall be seeing our all-conquering 'Roughyeds' again next season ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

In the 3 hours of their social media history, they have already amassed 6k followers, just under half the amount of clubs such as Workington Town or Sheffield Eagles have, only 4k short of Doncaster and 2k short of London Skolars. Good start, I'd say. 

Wow, that is impressive. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

No but logistically may make more sense than say Cumbrians. Maybe a Broncos link up??

I mean, not really? It's 270 miles away!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Not quite, it's the old Ottawa account with a new username and picture. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Not what I want   Just realistic that’s what the country wants

At the start of the century no one would have thought it realistic that the top division of the game in this country would have two French sides in it and a game played in front of 31,000 in Barcelona with talk of games being played at the Velodrome or that one of those French sides would have won the cup and the league leaders shield and come so close to winning the whole competition but it happened.

Its okay to be realistic but its okay to have some ambition as well. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

One of my best mates (from Wigan) played professional RU at the Cornish Pirates; his opinion is a well run RL club could do very well in Cornwall. 

What about one that rocks up from scratch three months before the start of a season?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

At the start of the century no one would have thought it realistic that the top division of the game in this country would have two French sides in it and a game played in front of 31,000 in Barcelona with talk of games being played at the Velodrome or that one of those French sides would have won the cup and the league leaders shield and come so close to winning the whole competition but it happened.

Its okay to be realistic but its okay to have some ambition as well. 

At the start of the century, there were Rugby League Conference teams all over the country.

The idea that we would only now be putting a Cornish team into League 1, and just how small that league is, would have shown just how small time our ambitions became in the intervening years.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I wish them the best of luck and hope they are a success, but I can’t help but think this club would have a much greater chance of success playing in a League One South competition, as would the likes of Hemel, Gloucestershire All Golds, Oxford and any other club with semi pro ambitions.

How would putting them in a five team development competition cul-de-sac be better?

• Like 1