The Cornwall RLFC Thread

Looking forward to them playing. Anything that unsettles the flat cappers is fine by me. One day the game will release itself from the shackles of the north working class mindset that holds so much back.

Edited by Mark S
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For those not in the know, St Helens have been supporting lots of grassroots development in Cornwall in recent years - schools have been playing and the Rebels have been looking at setting up satellite youth clubs. That said it’s in its infancy and some way from supporting a professional club 

I do wonder what the long term impact the new team will have on this programme. One of the primary SCDF goals was to develop local Cornish talent and get youngsters interested in the game via their schools programme, so will the new Cornish team now be taking this on ??

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'm quite impressed with the noises coming from the new club and can see a long term benefit for the game, hopefully this addition can help secure the funding to keep league 1 alive and thriving. The Cornish are very similar people to those in the traditional league towns,this project could be a masterstroke from Perez ,good luck to them

• Like 4

My guess is that they will sign half a dozen Queensland Cup level Australian players on full-time contracts and then build a team around them with locals and a few loans from SL clubs. That would make them reasonably competitive in League 1 pretty quickly IMO - especially if your experience is 1,6,7,9 and a couple of good forwards.

• Like 1

Hey all, been a long time since I've posted (work etc) but thought I'd log on to check the reaction following the news yesterday.

I thought I'd add my tuppence here as I've been living in Devon and playing amateur rugby league and union down here (i.e. against teams in Devon and Cornwall) in 2019 and 2021.

Firstly, I saw the news and thought 'amazing!' as it will raise the profile of the sport down here. However, re. this chat about it being a rugby hotbed etc should be treated with caution. Of course the Cornish love rugby but it's all union.

Our team play in the South-West division, have recruited well over the last couple of yrs but we're under no illusion that 95% our players are anything other than Union players who are giving the game a go in their off-season. That said, there's some lads down here who are highly talented and actually love playing League. Would they want to aim to focus on League and go semi-pro? I'm not sure there'd be that many at this point in time. The game is growing at grass-roots level but it's still early days.

I saw a post about Cornish Rebels and how they must have been building to this, are an example of how it will build etc etc - on one hand, yes - they've been doing great things with the women's team but re. the men's team - they haven't once fulfilled a fixture with us in 2019 or 2021 and folded at least once during those two seasons. 

So, I'm not sure where Eric's going to get all his homegrown Cornish talent from unless they're aiming to poach and convert a load of young union lads from the Cornish Pirates or the students at the Exeter Uni Cornwall (Falmouth?) campus who normally get groomed for Exeter Chiefs?

• Like 9

Just now, scorcher68 said:

Bloody good luck to them . Cornwall I wonder bit rebellious down there it just might work.

I hope it does too. And I also wish them good luck. Prob still a couple hrs drive for me to go and watch but still closer than any other (semi) pro club so would be happy to 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

If Rugby League lacks credibility in the eyes of the wider sporting public, it's down to being so restricted geography wise for so long, not because someone might start a club in Cornwall. 

To repeat my earlier point: we lack credibility because we had all this a 20 odd years ago. Growing grassroots teams all over the country. And now our ambition is scaled back so much that we're expected to credulously cheerlead a pin in a map club and pretend that everything about it is real.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Hey all, been a long time since I've posted (work etc) but thought I'd log on to check the reaction following the news yesterday.

I thought I'd add my tuppence here as I've been living in Devon and playing amateur rugby league and union down here (i.e. against teams in Devon and Cornwall) in 2019 and 2021.

Firstly, I saw the news and thought 'amazing!' as it will raise the profile of the sport down here. However, re. this chat about it being a rugby hotbed etc should be treated with caution. Of course the Cornish love rugby but it's all union.

Our team play in the South-West division, have recruited well over the last couple of yrs but we're under no illusion that 95% our players are anything other than Union players who are giving the game a go in their off-season. That said, there's some lads down here who are highly talented and actually love playing League. Would they want to aim to focus on League and go semi-pro? I'm not sure there'd be that many at this point in time. The game is growing at grass-roots level but it's still early days.

I saw a post about Cornish Rebels and how they must have been building to this, are an example of how it will build etc etc - on one hand, yes - they've been doing great things with the women's team but re. the men's team - they haven't once fulfilled a fixture with us in 2019 or 2021 and folded at least once during those two seasons. 

So, I'm not sure where Eric's going to get all his homegrown Cornish talent from unless they're aiming to poach and convert a load of young union lads from the Cornish Pirates or the students at the Exeter Uni Cornwall (Falmouth?) campus who normally get groomed for Exeter Chiefs?

The only way it works on the pitch in the short term (otherwise you get a complete whipping) is to ship in experienced halfs and key positions. Then add in the local RU talent to fill in the other positions.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

But how many lads get dumped by the academy system and drop out? Someone offers you cash and the chance to make a go of league and get paid isnt bad. 

As mentioned above,  the Uní system needs to be tapped into more by the game and is something some league clubs obviously cant do.  But Newcastle with northumbria,  York with St Johns, Eagles could with Hallam and now Cornwall with their Uní campuses can provide a new area and pathway of entry to the game. 

Agree with your general point about Uni pathways. But when it comes to Cornwall, there is no obvious Uni pathway in Falmouth/Penryn without putting in the cold hard cash and hard mileage to build it.

You have a creative arts university with zero sporting background at all that makes up most of the student numbers.

Or you have Exeter with a very small number of students in Falmouth, again their presence in Cornwall is not sports-based. Their link-up to the Chiefs is based in Exeter. 100 miles away up the A30.

It will need proper strategic thought, time and cash to work in Falmouth/Penryn.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

To repeat my earlier point: we lack credibility because we had all this a 20 odd years ago. Growing grassroots teams all over the country. And now our ambition is scaled back so much that we're expected to credulously cheerlead a pin in a map club and pretend that everything about it is real.

I totally agree. 

But it doesn't mean that this one is automatically corrupt or doomed to fail. Nobody is pretending that it's anything other than a start up club, the sort of thing that used to happen in Wales or London in the 1930's. I think you're a bit tainted by London being so poor for so long. 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What about one that rocks up from scratch three months before the start of a season?

What are you trying to achieve?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I totally agree. 

But it doesn't mean that this one is automatically corrupt or doomed to fail. Nobody is pretending that it's anything other than a start up club, the sort of thing that used to happen in Wales or London in the 1930's. I think you're a bit tainted by London being so poor for so long. 

Corrupt isn't a word I'd ever use. I certainly don't think it's that.

I think the balance right now tilts heavily towards failure because too many moving parts aren't under control. Time is against them - the season is three months away. They have no sponsors worth the name that I can see. Their connection to the ground project is tenuous at best and that project is already under threat. The Cornish Rebels that they've aligned with have a very rocky history. I can't see that they have any players signed. Their pathway, and everything else about anything beyond the end of next week, seems to be at the "this would be a good idea" stage rather than anything they can point to as happening. I can't see any obvious on the ground activity to hoover up memberships, contact details etc (the sort of thing as a start up you'd be doing to get people excited about coming to your games). There are no obvious travel and accommodation options being set up for away and casual fans.

You'd expect, if something was really solid, that some or all of those would be sorted before launch and the rest would at least look like they were under control.

No one will be happier than me if I end up eating humble pie on this. I like being proved wrong if it means RL is being successful. Right now though, I think there's a lot of blind faith in action with nothing to justify it.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Corrupt isn't a word I'd ever use. I certainly don't think it's that.

I think the balance right now tilts heavily towards failure because too many moving parts aren't under control. Time is against them - the season is three months away. They have no sponsors worth the name that I can see. Their connection to the ground project is tenuous at best and that project is already under threat. The Cornish Rebels that they've aligned with have a very rocky history. I can't see that they have any players signed. Their pathway, and everything else about anything beyond the end of next week, seems to be at the "this would be a good idea" stage rather than anything they can point to as happening. I can't see any obvious on the ground activity to hoover up memberships, contact details etc (the sort of thing as a start up you'd be doing to get people excited about coming to your games). There are no obvious travel and accommodation options being set up for away and casual fans.

You'd expect, if something was really solid, that some or all of those would be sorted before launch and the rest would at least look like they were under control.

No one will be happier than me if I end up eating humble pie on this. I like being proved wrong if it means RL is being successful. Right now though, I think there's a lot of blind faith in action with nothing to justify it.

Good post. Some don't want to hear it Jon but this is the harsh reality.  People need to realise there is a difference between rooting for a project and objectively analysing its chances. The hidden costs and logistics for the start up here could be eye watering. Without knowing how well backed it is you have to be realistic.

I am rooting for these guys but I am a realist too.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Good post. People don't want to hear it Jon but this is the harsh reality. People need to realise there is a difference between rooting for a project and objectively analysing its chances. The hidden costs and logistics for the start up here could be eye watering. Without knowing how well backed it is you have to be realistic.

I am rooting for these guys but I am a realist too.

There’s also a difference between objectively analysing somethings chances with very little information to go on and blatant sneering. 

• Like 4

Here is my take on it (For what its worth:)

For years i have personally thought that CORNWALL had the potential to become an expansion area for Rugby League.

I remember attending a county championship rugby union final at Twickenham around 30 years ago (Over 40000 came from Cornwall no more than 500 from Yorkshire) The rugby was poor the atmosphere generated by the Cornish fans (Many young couples) was on par with anything I have seen at a CC or SL final over the years.

This could be a masterstroke by Perez and I wish them all the best compared to other expansion attempts this one has legs:)

They should ask Gwenno (Welsh singer that sings in Cornish) to make a club song:)she is fantastic.

Paul

• Like 2

😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Truro were very bullish about targeting the league s few seasons ago. Then they hit problems and had to play at Torquay for a while, got relegated etc.

It's not beyond the realms of impossibility they'll dream bigger if the new stadium comes off. By which time we may see the Football League accepting some non grass pitches. There is increasing pressure as clubs ripping up existing pitches to install grass are often ripping up big community outreach schemes too, which isn't a great look for the Football League. Artificial pitches would also help the viability of some existing clubs.

Just now, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Truro were very bullish about targeting the league s few seasons ago. Then they hit problems and had to play at Torquay for a while, got relegated etc.

It's not beyond the realms of impossibility they'll dream bigger if the new stadium comes off. By which time we may see the Football League accepting some non grass pitches. There is increasing pressure as clubs ripping up existing pitches to install grass are often ripping up big community outreach schemes too, which isn't a great look for the Football League. Artificial pitches would also help the viability of some existing clubs.

I've seen Truro away a couple of times. Biggest travelling support for any club I've seen at that level - local derbies aside.

The reality for them is the same as for pretty much any other semi professional operation. Costs every other weekend are going to add up - and if many/all of your players aren't local then there will be issues around training/travel expenses even on home weekends.

The issue about artificial pitches is one that is just weird. Don't understand the Football League/Premier League continued objections.

• Like 2