The Cornwall RLFC Thread

1 hour ago, gavin7094 said:

500 season tickets?  Where do you get that from? 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is whether there is any appetite for rugby league from local people.  Just some noise about it being "like the North because it's a bit deprived and has mining and fishing" etc.

Sincere best wishes to them but we have learned in the past that you can't just wish things into existence.

However,  hope they are still around in 10 years.  Can only be good for the game if they are. 

What you all haven't taking into account is the number of people from up north living in Devon/Cornwall, i went to a Rebels v Sharks game a few years ago at Redruth & was surprised by amount of fans with team shirts on Leeds, Saints, Wolves even somebody stood next to me with a Batley top on yes i was polite to him Lol.

• Like 2

Clubs who can’t afford to, or don’t want to, travel to Cornwall just once per year shouldn’t be in the semi-pro League One. Resign and join the NCL.

It’s absolutely a reasonable decision to make if that’s the level on which you can comfortably operate, not judging at all (the travel costs are real, I get it), but for God’s sake don’t hang around here holding other people back. 

Even more importantly, whilst you make the decision about what sort of club you want to be, do us all a favour and stop running the game down with your negativity, and making the rest of us look like we share your embarrassing small-mindedness. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

It's quite simple, don't turn up lose the points and get a fine.

I'm looking forward to watching Keighley down there.

No that’s not enough for me. Cornwall want and need home games in order to build the club and a rugby league community. If they won’t play down there, then they need to move into a more appropriate league for their circumstances and ambitions. 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

My guess is that they will sign half a dozen Queensland Cup level Australian players on full-time contracts and then build a team around them with locals and a few loans from SL clubs. That would make them reasonably competitive in League 1 pretty quickly IMO - especially if your experience is 1,6,7,9 and a couple of good forwards.

Yes, it doesn’t take a massive budget to stand out at L1 level. Can see them in the harder-to-game Championship pretty quickly. 

38 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

If your a Hunslet fan there's a train from Leeds to Truro where you change on to the Falmouth line.

Is the train just for Hunslet fans ?

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Clubs who can’t afford to, or don’t want to, travel to Cornwall just once per year shouldn’t be in the semi-pro League One. Resign and join the NCL.

Pretty sure that travel costs come from central funds.  They certainly were a few years ago.

What we'd have otherwise would be the madness of expansion of the professional game being paid for largely by the clubs who can least afford it.

Cost aside, travel is a massive burden on Division 3 clubs.  There are some huge journeys in there, even without Newcastle, the two Cumbrian clubs and Barrow in Cornwall's fixture list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newbe said:

As mention before the travelling costs will be astronomical for them  every other week away. 

I'm not so sure.  Will the players be based in Cornwall ?

Maybe.  Maybe not.

Edited by Griff

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

Is the train just for Hunslet fans ?

Yes, custom-sized

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yes, custom-sized

spacer.png

Is that Mick Gledhill driving the train?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Pretty sure that travel costs come from central funds.  They certainly were a few years ago.

What we'd have otherwise would be the madness of expansion of the professional game being paid for largely by the clubs who can least afford it.

It has been widely reported the travel grant has been scrapped for the coming season. I've not seen a primary source but many reliable secondary sources have stated this to be the case 

Edited by Ivarr the Boneless

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I met him once at a SL game and he tried to sell me a Tissot watch. 

He can't have realised you come from West Yorkshire.

1 hour ago, gavin7094 said:

500 season tickets?  Where do you get that from? 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is whether there is any appetite for rugby league from local people.  Just some noise about it being "like the North because it's a bit deprived and has mining and fishing" etc.

Sincere best wishes to them but we have learned in the past that you can't just wish things into existence.

However,  hope they are still around in 10 years.  Can only be good for the game if they are. 

The belief that Cornwall is a 'hotbed of rugby' looks to be somewhat short of the truth.

Second-Tier Union club Cornish Pirates have an average attendance of around 1,700.

In the RFU's regionalised National League (tier four - the lowest tier I could find declaring attendances), the average attendance this year is 385. Cornwall's Redruth RFC have had that competition's highest attendance of the season so far: 907.  Redruth/Camborne is the biggest urban centre in Cornwall with a combined population of 42,000.

Penryn - hosts of the new Cornwall RL - play in the RFU's seventh tier. Their Memorial Ground (capacity 4,000 - 200 seats) is something of a super-stadium in the Western Counties West - a regionalised regional league, in which there are teams with ground capacities of under 1,000.

Penryn don't declare attendances, but images from their games show sparse crowds.

Eric Perez is gonna have to work hard to pull in the wider Cornish community.

8 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

The belief that Cornwall is a 'hotbed of rugby' looks to be somewhat short of the truth.

Second-Tier Union club Cornish Pirates have an average attendance of around 1,700.

In the RFU's regionalised National League (tier four - the lowest tier I could find declaring attendances), the average attendance this year is 385. Cornwall's Redruth RFC have had that competition's highest attendance of the season so far: 907.  Redruth/Camborne is the biggest urban centre in Cornwall with a combined population of 42,000.

Penryn - hosts of the new Cornwall RL - play in the RFU's seventh tier. Their Memorial Ground (capacity 4,000 - 200 seats) is something of a super-stadium in the Western Counties West - a regionalised regional league, in which there are teams with ground capacities of under 1,000.

Penryn don't declare attendances, but images from their games show sparse crowds.

Eric Perez is gonna have to work hard to pull in the wider Cornish community.

Some sense at last. I've lived in Devon for 20 years and barely met anyone who watches RL, sadly. Union is the preferred sport and even then the attendances are abysmal. Cornwall has an ageing population, lots of poverty and dreadful transport links. 

Good luck because I think you'll need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

With all the usual caveats about source:

Wow that’s truly pathetic,maybe semi professional RL isn’t for them or they could come up to Cumbria and take lessons on how to run a club from the likes of Wath Brow & other NCL clubs who travel away every other week.

• Like 3