The Cornwall RLFC Thread

53 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Clubs who can’t afford to, or don’t want to, travel to Cornwall just once per year shouldn’t be in the semi-pro League One. Resign and join the NCL.

It’s absolutely a reasonable decision to make if that’s the level on which you can comfortably operate, not judging at all (the travel costs are real, I get it), but for God’s sake don’t hang around here holding other people back. 

Even more importantly, whilst you make the decision about what sort of club you want to be, do us all a favour and stop running the game down with your negativity, and making the rest of us look like we share your embarrassing small-mindedness. 

The NCL wouldn’t want or have them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Exiled red said:

Some sense at last. I've lived in Devon for 20 years and barely met anyone who watches RL, sadly. Union is the preferred sport and even then the attendances are abysmal. Cornwall has an ageing population, lots of poverty and dreadful transport links. 

Good luck because I think you'll need it.

These are the things that need to be considered. Flying to Cornwall is easy - but then it takes 2 hours via three trains to get to Penryn!

21 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

The belief that Cornwall is a 'hotbed of rugby' looks to be somewhat short of the truth.

Second-Tier Union club Cornish Pirates have an average attendance of around 1,700.

In the RFU's regionalised National League (tier four - the lowest tier I could find declaring attendances), the average attendance this year is 385. Cornwall's Redruth RFC have had that competition's highest attendance of the season so far: 907.  Redruth/Camborne is the biggest urban centre in Cornwall with a combined population of 42,000.

Penryn - hosts of the new Cornwall RL - play in the RFU's seventh tier. Their Memorial Ground (capacity 4,000 - 200 seats) is something of a super-stadium in the Western Counties West - a regionalised regional league, in which there are teams with ground capacities of under 1,000.

Penryn don't declare attendances, but images from their games show sparse crowds.

Eric Perez is gonna have to work hard to pull in the wider Cornish community.

I think you're confusing 'hotbed of talent' with 'hotbed of attendances'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

What has that got to do with a Rugby League club allegedly launching in 2022?

The rest of the paragraph that you left out provided the relevance.

Whether you agree with the point being made or not, it's pretty poor form to snip the post and then say it isn't relevant. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Or one bus from Newquay to Penryn perhaps.

One bus an hour from the airport if you're lucky. Then one bus an hour from Newquay to wherever.

I remember people laughing at me when I asked if I could get the train to Exeter Airport for a job interview. Outside of the tourist areas Cornwall is on it's ######. People aren't going to spend what little disposable income they have watching a sport they have no interest in.

Any rugby talent gets hoovered up by the Chiefs same with Taunton and cricket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

My guess is that they will sign half a dozen Queensland Cup level Australian players on full-time contracts and then build a team around them with locals and a few loans from SL clubs. That would make them reasonably competitive in League 1 pretty quickly IMO

How do you get work permits for full time Australian players in League 1?

I thought that was what caused the undoing of Celtic Crusaders a few years ago. They had to have guys on holiday visas as they couldn't get work permits?

To me, it doesn't sound viable at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devon Ram said:

What you all haven't taking into account is the number of people from up north living in Devon/Cornwall, i went to a Rebels v Sharks game a few years ago at Redruth & was surprised by amount of fans with team shirts on Leeds, Saints, Wolves even somebody stood next to me with a Batley top on yes i was polite to him Lol.

Lots of "people from up north" live in London too, and Nottingham and Southend... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Exiled red said:

One bus an hour from the airport if you're lucky. Then one bus an hour from Newquay to wherever.

I remember people laughing at me when I asked if I could get the train to Exeter Airport for a job interview. Outside of the tourist areas Cornwall is on it's ######. People aren't going to spend what little disposable income they have watching a sport they have no interest in.

Any rugby talent gets hoovered up by the Chiefs same with Taunton and cricket.

That's why I asked the question.  Is there any evidence of interest in RL in this area?  One assumes Perez has done his due diligence and has a viable plan.  Relying on Northerners who live locally or summer holidaymakers to turn up doesn't make sense to me.  I assume he has more than that? 

Edited by gavin7094
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The rest of the paragraph that you left out provided the relevance.

Fair enough. Maybe I jumped the gun.

I just re-read his whole paragraph and I still see zero relevance to Rugby League in 2022.

Basically he went to a county rugby union match, over 30 years ago, and there was a lot of people from Cornwall there (30 years ago) and only a few from Yorkshire.

And somehow this is meant to tell us that Cornwall could be the launchpad for Toronto Wolfpack 2.0???

WTF? 😆

People not paying the bills can't just dismiss this concern. 

Let's assume Mick G is accurate (a silly assumption I know) - but the L1 clubs are seeing a reduction of c75%+ of their funding - and then having a new cost thrown on them - apparently without consultation. 

This kind of thing needs to be funded - the governing body needs to be providing the support here - the starting point to any decision needs to be how is it funded? That cannot be an afterthought.

The clubs are absolutely right to be pushing back to the RFL here - and I hope it leads to them getting the funding.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

That's why I asked the question.  Is there any evidence of interest in RL in this area?  One assumes Perez has done his due diligence and has a viable plan.  Relying on Northerners who live locally or summer holidaymakers to turn up doesn't make sense to me.  I assume he has more than that? 

None, they'd be better off having a team at Dawlish Warren if that's the target market.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Let's assume Mick G is accurate (a silly assumption I know) - but the L1 clubs are seeing a reduction of c75%+ of their funding - and then having a new cost thrown on them - apparently without consultation. 

This kind of thing needs to be funded - the governing body needs to be providing the support here - the starting point to any decision needs to be how is it funded? That cannot be an afterthought.

The clubs are absolutely right to be pushing back to the RFL here - and I hope it leads to them getting the funding.

You are spot on here, Dave!

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The two Cumbrian clubs moved out of League 1 in 2021 thus eliminating the longest road trips in RL

No, that's not right, Whitehaven got promoted in 2019.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

With all the usual caveats about source:

Wow . If that’s right that would be crippling . It was a fight as it was . Getting to Cornwall would be the least of the clubs concerns 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

And potentially 16 to get back if returning (well leaving Cornwall) the same day. £5.5k for a group of 25 players and staff

And that probably doesn't include the equipment. 

I had a quick scan at the flight options, there were some very interesting combinations on SkyScanner - flying via London, Dublin, Alicante and then Newquay 😆 

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad tbh!

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

And potentially 16 to get back if returning (well leaving Cornwall) the same day. £5.5k for a group of 25 players and staff

So you’ve established it’s too hard for you to bother attending any games,anything else to add ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wanted to write something similar but you have written it far better than I would have done🙂