The Cornwall RLFC Thread

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you’ve established it’s too hard for you to bother attending any games,anything else to add ?

It wouldn't cost me £5.5k.....

Whenever these threads come up all they demonstrate is the complete lack of understanding of how precarious the finances of L1 clubs are - let's face it the SL clubs aren't shining lights of fiscal acumen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

People not paying the bills can't just dismiss this concern. 

Let's assume Mick G is accurate (a silly assumption I know) - but the L1 clubs are seeing a reduction of c75%+ of their funding - and then having a new cost thrown on them - apparently without consultation. 

This kind of thing needs to be funded - the governing body needs to be providing the support here - the starting point to any decision needs to be how is it funded? That cannot be an afterthought.

The clubs are absolutely right to be pushing back to the RFL here - and I hope it leads to them getting the funding.

The clubs are right to get the best deal they can. I have been quite consistent in being opposed to significant and unproportionate cuts to League 1. That though should not mean they can veto who may join the professional ranks and the RFL are also right to do what is best for the development of the game in England/UK. In my opinion it would set a dangerous precedent to not allow English clubs into the league due to their location. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

The clubs are right to get the best deal they can. I have been quite consistent in being opposed to significant and unproportionate cuts to League 1. That though should not mean they can veto who may join the professional ranks and the RFL are also right to do what is best for the development of the game in England/UK. In my opinion it would set a dangerous precedent to not allow English clubs into the league due to their location. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

I agree, and that's why this needs to be part of the initial decision. I. E. Can it be afforded? We can't have vanity projects putting other clubs at risk. 

To be fair, the RFL recognised this with Toulouse and Toronto and secured funding (through the clubs directly) so hopefully they aren't blind to this. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree, and that's why this needs to be part of the initial decision. I. E. Can it be afforded? We can't have vanity projects putting other clubs at risk. 

To be fair, the RFL recognised this with Toulouse and Toronto and secured funding (through the clubs directly) so hopefully they aren't blind to this. 

I actually think as foreign clubs they are completely different cases. I can certainly understand any club's reservation when it comes to travel to France and Canada and the RFL placing conditions on their entrance to the league system when it comes to subsidising travel.

An English/UK league admitting an English team is quite different I feel and if people expect Cornwall to pay then it becomes a case of where do we stop? Should London pay for travel? Should Whitehaven? Its a nationwide league and should be open to all in England, with obvious caveats when it comes to meeting criteria. Anything else is a local league for local people stuff.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wow . If that’s right that would be crippling . It was a fight as it was . Getting to Cornwall would be the least of the clubs concerns 

I mean, TBH, that's the thing, isn't it? It's not in isolation. It's telling clubs that they're going to have about 20% of previous funding, no additional grant, oh, and there's this new club in Penryn ... no, not, Penrith ...

I don't agree with them deciding not to travel but I can see why'd they'd be moaning.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Billy King's Boots said:

No. Quite a few people have mentioned how 'Rugby' is huge in Cornwall. It isn't at all.

I'd be willing to bet, because it's pretty much true everywhere, that there are more registered clubs and players of soccer, and probably, cumulatively, more people paying to watch soccer.

The Peninsula League seems pretty strong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Don't Cornish people have their own flag of independence and have a certain eccentricity about them❓

The flag is on the club badge.

Plenty will refer to Cornwall as a nation rather than a county. Duchy is, I think (could be wrong) only used by outsiders and people making a technical point.

18 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

At the start of the century no one would have thought it realistic that the top division of the game in this country would have two French sides in it and a game played in front of 31,000 in Barcelona with talk of games being played at the Velodrome or that one of those French sides would have won the cup and the league leaders shield and come so close to winning the whole competition but it happened.

Its okay to be realistic but its okay to have some ambition as well. 

To be fair one of those clubs was planted in the top flight and ring fenced

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The flag is on the club badge.

Plenty will refer to Cornwall as a nation rather than a county. Duchy is, I think (could be wrong) only used by outsiders and people making a technical point.

Prince Charles may go to matches 

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

I suspect people are pulling numbers out of the air

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

• Like 11

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DEANO said:

To be fair one of those clubs was planted in the top flight and ring fenced

So it works then. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

As I say, don’t cut the clubs funding by 80% and then be surprised if they’re annoyed an extra expense they didn’t agree to is added to their budgets.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Lots of "people from up north" live in London too, and Nottingham and Southend... 

Sorry what's that got to do with Rugby in Cornwall, was making a point about been aware there is Rugby League fans in Cornwall keep your sarcastic remarks for somebody else.

3 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

What you all haven't taking into account is the number of people from up north living in Devon/Cornwall, i went to a Rebels v Sharks game a few years ago at Redruth & was surprised by amount of fans with team shirts on Leeds, Saints, Wolves even somebody stood next to me with a Batley top on yes i was polite to him Lol.

Think you’ll find an awful lot of northerners and Aussies in London. They don’t go the games down there

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually think as foreign clubs they are completely different cases. I can certainly understand any club's reservation when it comes to travel to France and Canada and the RFL placing conditions on their entrance to the league system when it comes to subsidising travel.

An English/UK league admitting an English team is quite different I feel and if people expect Cornwall to pay then it becomes a case of where do we stop? Should London pay for travel? Should Whitehaven? Its a nationwide league and should be open to all in England, with obvious caveats when it comes to meeting criteria. Anything else is a local league for local people stuff.

Each decision should be taken on its own merits. Cornwall were not a thing this year, and they want to be admitted next year. There is a cost associated with this decision that needs to be paid for. 

As part of the cost/benefit analysis this should have been factored in and it should be considered how it would be funded. It isn't an automatic yes because they will be based in England. 

If this was an established club working its way through the system and nowhere else to go, it would make it harder to reject, but as a brand new venture it should have a proposal that covers costs. Otherwise it could be seen as a reckless vanity project. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Sorry what's that got to do with Rugby in Cornwall, was making a point about been aware there is Rugby League fans in Cornwall keep your sarcastic remarks for somebody else.

On holiday in Penzance a few years ago we had a flat on the sea front, just around the corner was the Navy Inn, called in for a drink on the Friday afternoon when we arrived and they advertised Sky Sports, asked the barmaid would they be showing the SL match that evening. Her reply was "too right, I'm from Leigh, will be other side of the bar watching it". That evening there were a good few in there showing a lot of interest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Did you factor in the accommodation and meals too, because surely your proposal isn't to do the round trip in 24hrs?