The Cornwall RLFC Thread

Just now, Padge said:

Only if they have the backers willing to go for it and ride the initial storm. 

Catalan aren't a success because the rules made them a success, the rules gave them the opportunity to be a success rather than be strangled at birth.

There was no initial storm. They had 3 years grace

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

There was no initial storm. They had 3 years grace

The initial storm is not winning many games, finishing at the bottom and hemorrhaging support on the terraces and financial sponsors. It would be easy for the money men doing the backing to lose their nerve, that is why it is important that the owners don't lose their nerve, the three years helps to give them a pressure release valve that allows them to plan long term.

We need to stop this nonsense of clubs having to be an overnight success to succeed.

This applies to ALL clubs.

• Like 6

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

The initial storm is not winning many games, finishing at the bottom and hemorrhaging support on the terraces and financial sponsors. It would be easy for the money men doing the backing to lose their nerve, that is why it is important that the owners don't lose their nerve, the three years helps to give them a pressure release valve that allows them to plan long term.

We need to stop this nonsense of clubs having to be an overnight success to succeed.

This applies to ALL clubs.

So you agree that all promoted teams should be ringfenced even if your club gets relegated 

• Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, DEANO said:

So you agree that all promoted teams should be ringfenced even if your club gets relegated 

Absolutely, I have said it for years, I have been banging that drum so long my ears hurt.

• Like 2

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember when it was let's get rid of Toronto and we should focus on France. Then with Toronto gone the anti Toulouse talk starts and it's that we should concentrate on England. Then when we do its Cornwall is a bit far.

Let’s face it some people think there should only be clubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire, they even moan about Cumbrian clubs as it’s too far to travel. I expect Wigan will be next, that’s over 12 miles from the nearest junction of the M62. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Let’s face it some people think there should only be clubs in Lancashire and Yorkshire, they even moan about Cumbrian clubs as it’s too far to travel. I expect Wigan will be next, that’s over 12 miles from the nearest junction of the M62. 

Even at that we can't have a new club in Manchester because it's too local and might just work!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think you are right - Wigan will be next. Mainly because the "moaners" overwhelmingly seem to support Yorkshire clubs. 

13 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

I think you are right - Wigan will be next. Mainly because the "moaners" overwhelmingly seem to support Yorkshire clubs. 

The future in Yorkshire is gas lamps.

• Haha 1

I'm assuming Cornwall must have several players and a coach already signed up what with the season only 3-4 months away. Otherwise it would be crazy for the RFL to allow them in given that the region has hardly any RL players currently. If they haven't, then where are the players going to come from? 

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember when it was let's get rid of Toronto and we should focus on France. Then with Toronto gone the anti Toulouse talk starts and it's that we should concentrate on England. Then when we do its Cornwall is a bit far.

Absolutely. Heard it all before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. Heard it all before.

I don't think that's true at all. The point made that travel may not be funded for clubs whose funding has already been cut is a valid one - for Cornwall far more than the other clubs. And then there's the issue of whether the club can survive. Clearly we have insufficient information to make a call on that buy equally clearly, it doesn't help the credibility of the sport for any club to fall flat on it's face. It's a huge risk.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't think that's true at all. The point made that travel may not be funded for clubs whose funding has already been cut is a valid one - for Cornwall far more than the other clubs. And then there's the issue of whether the club can survive. Clearly we have insufficient information to make a call on that buy equally clearly, it doesn't help the credibility of the sport for any club to fall flat on it's face. It's a huge risk.

Clearly they have planned. Now travel becomes others problems. Will the I’m at work so can’t travel come into effect now.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If they have such a desire to pump so much in to an empty well. Then put in where the game still survives.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It's once a year.  Leave saturday night, play Sunday,  coach back. This is ridículous.  Lads here in Spain getting buses from Bilbao to Seville for rugby. 

100% mate. It's embarrassing listening to them.

(Although you wouldn't leave Saturday night. You have to leave earlier in the day to get to the hotel at a reasonable hour. Small details though).

Edited by Grand Est

18 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

100% mate. It's embarrassing listening to them.

(Although you wouldn't leave Saturday night. You have to leave earlier in the day to get to the hotel at a reasonable hour. Small details though).

Surely they can leave on a Thursday and get back for Monday at work.. Small details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

aussies love surfing- whats with the snooker balls on the emblem though?

There are 15 of them on the emblem. They are actually called 'Bezants'. They are meant to represent solid gold coins produced by the government of the Byzantine Empire in the 11th Century. Those gold coins were highly prized and, in an heraldic context, the 'Bezants' symbolise the 'wealth' of Cornwall from the days (long ago) when it mined most of the world's tin and copper and set the fixed price (in Redruth) for those metals all around the world.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Pay for a good bus and sleep on that. Or we could just play the game Saturday.  I am 100% of agreement that non UK outside SL is crazy and a stupid burden but 'we wont travel in England' is almost 'ok get out of the national pyramid' territory. 

It is almost irrelevent about cornwall now.  Wanting to be in a national pyramid means you dont get to choose opponents based on your whims.  Otherwise, franchising with strongest teams It is and lock out the rest. 

It isn't whims though, it is more complex and depends on the league structure and finance. Dave's post explained this well. 

In English football we have a National League North and South. In Scotland also there are Highland and Lowland leagues.

There has to be some common sense about when a national league is at a stage or level to make long travel unrealistic. For example Barrow to Torquay is feasible in the football National league, but below that, financially it isn't affordable so the leagues are split geographically.

The other expansion teams in league 1 will also be affected not just the northern teams. 

Edited by Niels

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

Surely they can leave on a Thursday and get back for Monday at work.. Small details.

Eeeeeeee...... It weren't like that in my day. We 'ad Yorkshire league for us, and Lancs league for them uns.

FFS. Even people who are HALF serious about their sport can do 1 overnight trip per season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Est said:

Eeeeeeee...... It weren't like that in my day. We 'ad Yorkshire league for us, and Lancs league for them uns.

FFS. Even people who are HALF serious about their sport can do 1 overnight trip per season.

Yes we have already seen that. We have also seen debate on Monday night RL which carries the same issues. A somewhat 800 mile round trip won’t go down well.

I don't know if this is a little 'off topic' but, in the context of 'attendance at sporting events in Cornwall'. I live about three miles away from United Downs (stock cars and bangers) Raceway in St Day. The racetrack is about five miles away from Penryn, where the rugby club would be based, but it's much harder to get to as the roads on the Downs get progressively smaller/narrower. The racetrack itself is situated in the center of a long-gone copper mine. The area around the track is huge. When I attended the race meeting on Sunday just gone (31st Oct) although it's obviously difficult to put an exact figure on the attendance because it's an open, embanked, no-terracing, oval around the track perimeter, I would guestimate there to be about 3,000 people (male and female) of all ages. The weather wasn't good, it rained, bring your own chairs and there's no shelter. I guestimate about seven or eight hundred cars in the official (waste ground) car park with many more parked out on the roads and industrial estates adjacent to the official car park. It took me about 45 minutes to exit through the gate after the race ended. BUT, this is the point, stock car and banger racing truly is a 'minority sport' with little or no media 'exposure'. Yet on Sunday there were drivers racing their cars there that had come down from Rochdale, Sheffield, Ormskirk and a town in Essex amongst many other places not in Cornwall. During the course of the year there are regular 'Challenge Cup' races between English and Scottish drivers. Nobody complains about the distance they have had to travel in order to get there even though they are pulling a racing car on a heavy trailer behind their team vans and/or wagons. Sadly, due to historical 'political' circumstances the racetrack may not have a future in 2022. Perhaps some of that big crowd (by Championship /League 1 standards) could be attracted to a 'New' sporting event (R.L), on a Sunday, just a mere five miles away ? ?  Who knows ? ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

I don't know if this is a little 'off topic' but, in the context of 'attendance at sporting events in Cornwall'. I live about three miles away from United Downs (stock cars and bangers) Raceway in St Day. The racetrack is about five miles away from Penryn, where the rugby club would be based, but it's much harder to get to as the roads on the Downs get progressively smaller/narrower. The racetrack itself is situated in the center of a long-gone copper mine. The area around the track is huge. When I attended the race meeting on Sunday just gone (31st Oct) although it's obviously difficult to put an exact figure on the attendance because it's an open, embanked, no-terracing, oval around the track perimeter, I would guestimate there to be about 3,000 people (male and female) of all ages. The weather wasn't good, it rained, bring your own chairs and there's no shelter. I guestimate about seven or eight hundred cars in the official (waste ground) car park with many more parked out on the roads and industrial estates adjacent to the official car park. It took me about 45 minutes to exit through the gate after the race ended. BUT, this is the point, stock car and banger racing truly is a 'minority sport' with little or no media 'exposure'. Yet on Sunday there were drivers racing their cars there that had come down from Rochdale, Sheffield, Ormskirk and a town in Essex amongst many other places not in Cornwall. During the course of the year there are regular 'Challenge Cup' races between English and Scottish drivers. Nobody complains about the distance they have had to travel in order to get there even though they are pulling a racing drone drone warble warble car on a heavy trailer behind their team vans and/or wagons. Sadly, due to historical 'political' circumstances the racetrack may not have a future in 2022. Perhaps some of that big crowd (by Championship /League 1 standards) could be attracted to a 'New' sporting event (R.L), on a Sunday, just a mere five miles away ? ?  Who knows ? ?

It definitely is.

It's interesting that people are quoting resistance to expansion teams, and then also to Manchester without realising that it sort of demonstrates that clubs are perhaps against bad ideas rather than teams based on geography. 

When it has been funded it has happened - Toronto, Toulouse, and other new expansion teams in L1 (as well as those in other leagues but let's keep it to L1). 

My understanding is that Toronto were voted in by the clubs. 

So let's go back to the discussion at hand. What is it that people like so much about the decision to admit Cornwall to a comp starting in 4m, when they have little more than a logo and a field? 

The same support wasn't there for Leigh last year. 

A bad plan is a bad plan. The issue is less about geography, and more about doing things badly. I hope Perez surprises us and his plans are further on, but blind faith doesn't make things work. 

As a sport we do so many of these things poorly, I'm not sure why we are expecting a different result here. Look how difficult Coventry have found it and they appear to have been a stronger organisation. 

But, all that said, I'm fascinated to see how it goes, and it all adds to the fun of being an RL fan. Although it's costing me nothing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Griff said:

Like I said, heard it all before.