The Cornwall RLFC Thread

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I guess those clubs won’t be entering the Challenge Cup in case they get an away tie in London or god forbid the Navy down in Portsmouth,the same away ties my“amateur” club have taken part in.

Again, these are known costs (or risks to your cost line). 

A new random club announcing that they are joining the league without a peep from the RFL hardly suggests this is well planned and thought out.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure what you mean. This was on the RFL website at the same time. I can't see how it's any different to the way these kinds of things have been done in the past:

2 Nov 2021

Cornwall RLFC to join Betfred League 1 in 2022

Cornwall Rugby League Football Club (RLFC) have received approval from the Rugby Football League (RFL) to compete in Betfred League 1 for the 2022 campaign.

Simon Johnson, the RFL Chair, said:

“The RFL Board have approved the club’s request to relocate as it takes the Betfred League One competition, and the sport of Rugby League, into a new area, which shares many of the characteristics of the traditional Rugby League heartlands in the north, and has a renowned passion for rugby. This is an exciting opportunity to take our great sport to a completely new audience in a beautiful part of the country, and for our clubs and supporters to embrace that.”

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36229/cornwall-rlfc-to-join-betfred-league-1-in-2022

Yes, fair shout, I didn't see that at the same time.

There are calls that the clubs haven't been consulted, which is out of kilter with previous initiatives, but that is a lot of hearsay from journos.

56 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think this is completely the right attitude to have and its got to be the long term dream. Not wanting to burst your bubble but you'll have to be prepared for a very steep learning curve. West Wales have already experienced that in recent seasons and it has been challenging for them to build a fan base as a result 

I don't think anyone is under any illusion that there are challenges. But there are also so many positives in the medium to long that the balance lies in its favour.

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Maybe so . For what it’s worth on the issue  itself personally I understand the concerns of clubs around funding and budgets but I also completely welcome a new arrival and wish them all the very best , and hope it grows roots . That can only be a positive 

I agree with this. 

My concern around this is that it is another example of something being done poorly, rushed and under-funded. These are things that catch us out time and time again, and they are the reason we have failure after failure. A lot of people applauding this are the ones who are often most critical of RFL incompetence, but seem happy to ignore it in instances like this. 

On the positive, I am intrigued to see what Perez can do in a different scenario. He talks a good game and did a lot of good things with Toronto, so I'm fascinated to see how he does here. To give him credit, he isn't taking the easy option, so good luck to him and Cornwall RLFC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

Precisely this. 

Comparing Rugby League's third tier with 'what professional football does' is a misdirection.

For starters, clubs in football's third tier are full time. Doncaster Rovers receive just over £1.3 million pounds in Sky 'solidarity payments. Outside the 'giants' of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Bolton who all pull in big crowds - third tier clubs have an average attendance of around 6,500.

League two clubs don't offer much more of a comparison. Again: full time, in 2019/20 Rochdale received a total of £1,220,000 of Premier League Funding. The average attendance in football's fourth tier is around the 4,000 mark.

For a more accurate view, you have to look at football clubs similar in status and support to a League 1 Rugby League Club.

For that you have to look down as far as football's Tier Six - for example Curzon Ashton (Tameside) and Bradford Park Avenue (W.Yorkshire). Both 'Northern' and semi-professional, they average crowds of 450 and 500 respectively - and they play in the regionalised National League North. Regionalised to help reduce the logistics and cost impacts on clubs with limited resources.

And a club like Rochdale's wage bill at that time was over £3 million. Yes Football has greater income but outgoing are far, far more. As you said misdirection.

I played in amateur national competitions. At University I travelled to Durham, Newcastle, London, Cardiff amongst other places all in the same season. Indeed I don't think that any journey was less than 2hrs. Journeys to London and Cardiff were easily more than 5 or 6 hours with a short stop. If poor students can organise, fund and pay for that it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of a semi professional RL team to do it once a season.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Again, these are known costs (or risks to your cost line). 

A new random club announcing that they are joining the league without a peep from the RFL hardly suggests this is well planned and thought out.

Its not a random new club, just the relocation of a franchise.. 

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

And a club like Rochdale's wage bill at that time was over £3 million. Yes Football has greater income but outgoing are far, far more. As you said misdirection.

I played in amateur national competitions. At University I travelled to Durham, Newcastle, London, Cardiff amongst other places all in the same season. Indeed I don't think that any journey was less than 2hrs. Journeys to London and Cardiff were easily more than 5 or 6 hours with a short stop. If poor students can organise, fund and pay for that it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of a semi professional RL team to do it once a season.

Genuine Q about this as I can't find an immediate answer.

Do the RFL give a grant to BUCS for 'running' university rugby league? I can see that other NGBs do but not one from the RFL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

I played in amateur national competitions. At University I travelled to Durham, Newcastle, London, Cardiff amongst other places all in the same season. Indeed I don't think that any journey was less than 2hrs. Journeys to London and Cardiff were easy more than 5 hours with a short stop. If poor students can organise, fund and pay for that it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of a semi professional RL team to do it once a season.

At schoolboy level for our national cups it was regional until the Quarter finals, because if you wanted to play for the serious titles, you had to play across the country. In Wakefield we drew two away games against a London school and, perhaps quite aptly for this thread, Truro, in our appearances (winning both might I add). That is on top of annual "regular season" games against Bristol and High Wycombe from year 7 to 13.

Like you say at University its pretty par for the course too.

This is perhaps an inevitable point though if the game is to grow, ultimately it will mean clubs who have historically won championships and cups playing in the 4th, 5th divisions.

• Like 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

Genuine Q about this as I can't find an immediate answer.

Do the RFL give a grant to BUCS for 'running' university rugby league? I can see that other NGBs do but not one from the RFL.

I have absolutely no idea. I know during my time in Student Rugby League it didn't even officially fall under BUCS (From memory there was still a fair bit of looking down when it came to RL). Neil Wood was the director of Student Rugby League and was employed by the RFL. In real terms aside from the organising of fixtures teams got no help or assistance from the SRL. I doubt little has changed there but as you say maybe the RFL just pay BUCS to do what was done by them previously. I cant see it being much though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Those distances are not comparable in the slightest. 

Keighley seems to be the marker people are using, its 2.5hrs to the furthest Cumbrian team versus 7hrs for Penryn. 

And again, the clubs have shown they will travel to play, having done it to Canada - where the RFL sorted travel funding. 

Id love to see you do Workington to Keighley in 2.5 hours, you in a Delorean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, newbe said:

What's the betting there will be big protest from other clubs, and the relocate up North.

Oh god.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If it's not a new club, could you point me in the direction of Cornwall RLFC's results?

It is a relocation. 

I doubt the RFL could have stopped it if they had wanted to ( and I am certainly not saying they would have ).

Ottowa took Hemels franchise with a blessing. If you want historical results then look to Hemel's.

The RFL because of the pandemic allowed Ottowa to defer playing until the 2022 season. . A relocation has been allowed  frankly to make more sense of what could otherwise be  a total disaster financially for League 1 clubs having to cover travel costs to Canada etc

Is Cornwall a visionary choice ? It's certainly exciting if nothing else. 

Will it work ? Who knows ( but don't St Helens  have 'connections ' down there ? )

This is Rugby League after all. Often better than a ride on the ' Big One ' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach ...........

• Like 3

Just now, del capo said:

It is a relocation. 

I doubt the RFL could have stopped it if they had wanted to ( and I am certainly not saying they would have ).

Ottowa took Hemels franchise with a blessing. If you want historical results then look to Hemel's.

The RFL because of the pandemic allowed Ottowa to defer playing until the 2022 season. . A relocation has been allowed  frankly to make more sense of what could otherwise be  a total disaster financially for League 1 clubs having to cover travel costs to Canada etc

Will it work ? Who knows ( but don't St Helens  have 'connections ' down there ? )

This is Rugby League after all. Often better than a ride on the ' Big One ' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach ...........

If St Helens do have real connections in Cornwall then you’re the first person to mention them?

What are they? A tie up with the Rebels?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

It is a relocation. 

It isn't a relocation. Its a new club that has a piece of paper that allows them the governance here. 

Just like Ottawa would have been a new club. 

This isn't Hemel. They bought Hemel's place in the pyramid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It isn't a relocation. Its a new club that has a piece of paper that allows them the governance here. 

Just like Ottawa would have been a new club. 

This isn't Hemel. They bought Hemel's place in the pyramid. 

It's an important piece of paper. It grants membership.

Unlike, I believe,Catalan , Toulouse or the now defunct Toronto.............