The Cornwall RLFC Thread

The distance argument is a joke for something that is supposed to be semi-pro. 

In Turkey new teams on the South Coast will have to travel 12 plus hours to most teams in Istanbul. The closest other team being ourselves at 6 hours. 

If a League One team is not willing to have a big trip once a year then they should drop to regional Amateur leagues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would it be possible to have two equal regional sub conferences in League One (Group A & B) with some cross division games between the two. 

You would play everyone in your region h & a and everyone in the other region just once.

This would stop the need to have a complete h & a fixture list scenario and save on travel costs (which could be pooled and divided out to the teams who have furthest to travel)?

Follow that up with a play off system that would allow for teams in each conference to meet in the final in case (and in all likelihood) the northern conference is stronger initially.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

It's an important piece of paper. It grants membership.

Unlike, I believe,Catalan , Toulouse or the now defunct Toronto.............

Absolutely. But it doesn't stop them being a new club. They just have the Golden Ticket. Or maybe more of a Brown/Biege Ticket.

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If St Helens do have real connections in Cornwall then you’re the first person to mention them?

What are they? A tie up with the Rebels?

One example is https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/06/29/cornish-rebels-field-first-ever-womens-team/

A fledgling amateur ladies team who, incidentally, travelled by coach to play in Bristol and Cardiff a couple of weeks apart. Both there and back in a day.

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If St Helens do have real connections in Cornwall then you’re the first person to mention them?

What are they? A tie up with the Rebels?

They’ve had them for years, del capo certainly isn’t the only person to know about it. 

27 minutes ago, Izmir Zaferi said:

The distance argument is a joke for something that is supposed to be semi-pro. 

In Turkey new teams on the South Coast will have to travel 12 plus hours to most teams in Istanbul. The closest other team being ourselves at 6 hours. 

If a League One team is not willing to have a big trip once a year then they should drop to regional Amateur leagues. 

Great example. In the Ukrainian league teams travel across that vast country too, and I doubt they have as much money as Keighley or Hunslet. Even in Elite 2 last year teams were travelling from the Aude to Lyon, which isn’t dissimilar to West Yorks to Cornwall. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’ve had them for years, del capo certainly isn’t the only person to know about it. 

I meant on this thread - I don’t think it’s been mentioned.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I meant on this thread - I don’t think it’s been mentioned.

On 02/11/2021 at 20:24, DoubleD said:

For those not in the know, St Helens have been supporting lots of grassroots development in Cornwall in recent years - schools have been playing and the Rebels have been looking at setting up satellite youth clubs. That said it’s in its infancy and some way from supporting a professional club 

There you go.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes all clubs have a share. Ottawa (now Cornwall) bought Hemel's share hence automatic entry into league 1. They are a new club (not a relocation) 

This is something I found odd when Ottawa purchased Hemel's RFL membership (and it is full membership of the RFL rather than a franchise or licence as some have said):

Having left the competition in 1999, Bramley retained their membership of the RFL and applied to re-join the Northern Ford Premiership (as it was then) in 2000 or 2001, but were refused. They nonetheless retained membership for a number of years after that despite not having an active team.

It seems strange that Hemel-Ottawa-Cornwall are seen as having a right to be able to enter a team because they are members of the RFL, whereas that obviously didn't apply for Bramley.

• Like 1

After the split in 1906, the soccer side of Bradford FC, Bradford Park Avenue applied -and got- membership of the Southern League (after Fulham joined the Football League) This was before cars or even coaches were widely available. 

So it's nothing new.....

6 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

This is something I found odd when Ottawa purchased Hemel's RFL membership (and it is full membership of the RFL rather than a franchise or licence as some have said):

Having left the competition in 1999, Bramley retained their membership of the RFL and applied to re-join the Northern Ford Premiership (as it was then) in 2000 or 2001, but were refused. They nonetheless retained membership for a number of years after that despite not having an active team.

It seems strange that Hemel-Ottawa-Cornwall are seen as having a right to be able to enter a team because they are members of the RFL, whereas that obviously didn't apply for Bramley.

Yes and I think that's another factor here for some clubs i.e. Should someone get automatic entry and plonk a team wherever they want 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

But that's not the case at all. The RFL still have to approve any entry.

So is it the other members of the RFL (i.e. the other clubs) that have approved Cornwall as a location?

If it is, then any complaints by some of those same clubs about travelling long distances seem a little misguided.

Whilst I have loved the fact that there has been a RL presence in Cornwall for some considerable time and that, like Devon, seems sustainable at its level and through the schools engagement is taking the next step, the creation of a L1 club there and now makes little sense to me for reasons set out in this thread. I hope I am wrong but I stuggle to see how it will work (work in the sense of getting people through the gates and being competitive particularly given the long journeys to away matches). This feels too much too soon. Maybe if it was located in Penzance or Plymouth (is Plymouth Devon or Cornwall) but....

Edited by EssexRL

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

So is it the other members of the RFL (i.e. the other clubs) that have approved Cornwall as a location?

If it is, then any complaints by some of those same clubs about travelling long distances seem a little misguided.

As the RFL is the governing body I would say they have the right to make that decision and don't need to have a majority decision by clubs.

The RFL are actually quite clear on this:

For the avoidance of doubt there shall be no automatic promotion between Tier 4 and Tier 3 (League 1); however, the Board shall have absolute discretion to admit other clubs to Tier 3 as it considers appropriate (taking into account such factors as it considers appropriate).

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/143535 RFL Operational Rules Tier 1-3 2020 Web.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

For the avoidance of doubt there shall be no automatic promotion between Tier 4 and Tier 3 (League 1); however, the Board shall have absolute discretion to admit other clubs to Tier 3 as it considers appropriate (taking into account such factors as it considers appropriate).

https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/143535 RFL Operational Rules Tier 1-3 2020 Web.pdf

Good spot that.

What does this mean though?

A Club shall not adopt a title which implies that it is representing, either wholly or in part, a country or county or town or any area or sponsor or commercial organisation nor shall it alter its name from that specified in the schedule unless, in either case, authorised to do so by the Board.

You can't be named after a town?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Good spot that.

A Club shall not adopt a title which implies that it is representing, either wholly or in part, a country or county or town or any area or sponsor or commercial organisation nor shall it alter its name from that specified in the schedule unless, in either case, authorised to do so by the Board.

Unless authorised I think is the key point there.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Good spot that.

If you were being really picky, you can just about parse that safely as town or county name does not equal representing that town or county, it just means 'in' that town or county. 

So by way of example you can be Cornwall RL but you can't be 'Cornish RL'

Or you can be Wakefield, but you can't be Wakefieldians.

Which is pretty much nonsense but it does technically probably mean that Town or County/in this caase Duchy names are ok.

Or, as Tommy says, you've got permission. 

Edited by iffleyox

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Thanks for that.

So it is the board rather than the council of members that makes the decision.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Good spot that.

It seems to mean that the RFL Board has final say over what a club can be called.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Good spot that.

Agreed it does sound a little odd but I think its more a cover all for the RFL, in conjunction with the other clauses, to veto damaging name changes or changes that may cause issues with existing clubs or the international game. Teams can be called after towns, counties etc as long as its approved by the RFL.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3