The Cornwall RLFC Thread

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Unless authorised I think is the key point there.

Yup, you're right. Doing too many things at once right now and it is pretty clear once you stop trying to read a contract at the same time.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, iffleyox said:

If you were being really picky, you can just about parse that safely as town or county name does not equal representing that town or county, it just means 'in' that town or county. 

So by way of example you can be Cornwall RL but you can't be 'Cornish RL'

Or you can be Wakefield, but you can't be Wakefieldians.

Which is pretty much nonsense but it does technically probably mean that Town or County/in this caase Duchy names are ok.

Wakefield would be fine, it's a city rather than a town!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

If it's not a new club, could you point me in the direction of Cornwall RLFC's results?

Well the franchise was ottowa who didnt play a game , before that the franchise belonged to hemel so if you look at hemels results when they were in league 1 that is your answer..

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Agreed it does sound a little odd but I think its more a cover all for the RFL, in conjunction with the other clauses, to veto damaging name changes or changes that may cause issues with existing clubs or the international game. Teams can be called after towns, counties etc as long as its approved by the RFL.

Yeah so someone doesnt come along with Cumbria RL or Yorkshire RL and step on the toes of existing clubs

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well the franchise was ottowa who didnt play a game , before that the franchise belonged to hemel so if you look at hemels results when they were in league 1 that is your answer..

This is back to the semantics of whether Bradford is Bradford and how York weren't at Wembley for the first time in 80 years 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yup, you're right. Doing too many things at once right now and it is pretty clear once you stop trying to read a contract at the same time.

I appreciate, it proved a welcome distraction from me doing the same.

2 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Since when has location been part of due diligence?

I don't understand the relevance to my post that you quoted. As you asked the question I would be very surprised if it wasn't one of the factors that the RFL took into account.

Just now, Damien said:

I don't understand the relevance to my post that you quoted. As you asked the question I would be very surprised if it wasn't one of the factors that the RFL took into account.

So France and Canada’s location was taken in to account?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Id love to see you do Workington to Keighley in 2.5 hours, you in a Delorean?

2 hours, 27 mins according to the AA Route Planner.

Route A66, M6, A65, A629.

De Lorean not required.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

2 hours, 27 mins according to the AA Route Planner.

Route A66, M6, A65, A629.

De Lorean not required.

No but you’ll need a flying device to get past the tractors,caravans & lost tourists on the A66 from Easter until Sept.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

The lack of travel funding is part of the bad planning. Distance means cost - it is the same point. Clubs showed with Toronto they were prepared to travel from a time point of view. 

These are not different points. 

And you appear to agree about the bad planning with your points about the time lines. 

This is the point. 

Had the RFL announced this for 2023 and given £5k travel subsidy per club it'd be hard to argue there is an issue. 

Why does Rugby League clubs need paying to travel ? does it happen in other sports ? its not long ago that the Cornish Rugby Union side used to travel up to the likes of Otley where they helped with travel costs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Why does Rugby League clubs need paying to travel ? does it happen in other sports ? its not long ago that the Cornish Rugby Union side used to travel up to the likes of Otley where they helped with travel costs.

Call it something else if you are against travel subsidies, but central funding has been massively cut and a new cost has been added in. 

I don't know what your last line is saying. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

The RFU pay  all clubs £2k to travel to Guernsey or the Isle of Man to play regional league fixtures - there is even a grant - £250  I believe - to travel over to the Isle of Wight

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, del capo said:

The RFU pay  all clubs £2k to travel to Guernsey or the Isle of Man to play regional league fixtures - there is even a grant - £250  I believe - to travel over to the Isle of Wight

Jersey FC pay for incomers' travel. I think the same is true for Guernsey. Both also have to pay additional costs to get county match officials over.

(Both of which are more expensive than Cornwall, I know, before anyone says.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, ArthurO said:

There are 15 of them on the emblem. They are actually called 'Bezants'. They are meant to represent solid gold coins produced by the government of the Byzantine Empire in the 11th Century. Those gold coins were highly prized and, in an heraldic context, the 'Bezants' symbolise the 'wealth' of Cornwall from the days (long ago) when it mined most of the world's tin and copper and set the fixed price (in Redruth) for those metals all around the world.   

nah - they're snooker balls

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, del capo said:

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Jersey FC pay for incomers' travel. I think the same is true for Guernsey. Both also have to pay additional costs to get county match officials over.

(Both of which are more expensive than Cornwall, I know, before anyone says.)

This is the kind of thing that RL fans love trashing the sport of RL for. 

Just now, Dave T said:

This is the kind of thing that RL fans love trashing the sport of RL for. 

RL seems to like to do things in secret, or at least, in a way that appears furtive. It's pretty easy to find out how things work for both those teams, just like it's a doddle to find out the prize fund for virtually all leagues and cups in football (something which seems to get more and more opaque in RL).

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean you literally cannot drive to any of those places so there's a bit of a difference.

All the involved teams are also playing in regional leagues so, again, it's not a like for like comparison.

But when some folk seem to believe that RL is unique for subsidising travel (etc) as an entry requirement it is useful to point out that that's not true.

• Like 1

It's also worth adding to this bit of digression that the RFU travel funding also goes to clubs who don't have to travel by plane.