The Cornwall RLFC Thread

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Let's phrase that another way.

Why do clubs who have achieved pretty much nothing since the formation of the Northern Union and bring very little to the table apart from sentimentality, have the power to drag the game down to their level? 

Woah woah woah !!! Assume your talking about Huntley and keighley there. Both denied access to the promised land. Oldham and swinton were also big names from yesteryear

• Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

After the split in 1906, the soccer side of Bradford FC, Bradford Park Avenue applied -and got- membership of the Southern League (after Fulham joined the Football League) This was before cars or even coaches were widely available. 

So it's nothing new.....

Think England used to play in Australia pre flights😀

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

But road and rail isn't free, you pay for that just like a plane. 

The cost is substantially higher than every other game, that's why costs are relevant. Now its your prerogative to say tough, but I think its equally valid for those paying the bills to push back.

I don't think it is necessarily fair for the RFL to just palm of the costs of expansion on the existing clubs. 

Where is the central point which decides what is near and what is far? Aren't Skolars, West Wales and Coventry (MH) not full members of the RFL. If so, why is it that the measure of what is near and what is far appears to be Keighley?

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Woah woah woah !!! Assume your talking about Huntley and keighley there. Both denied access to the promised land. Oldham and swinton were also big names from yesteryear

Oh fair enough then, we'll plan the future of RL based on them, Liversedge and Broughton Rangers. 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Oh fair enough then, we'll plan the future of RL based on them, Liversedge and Broughton Rangers. 👍🏻

Daft as it sounds they would have more chance of making a fist of it

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Where is the central point which decides what is near and what is far? Aren't Skolars, West Wales and Coventry (MH) not full members of the RFL. If so, why is it that the measure of what is near and what is far appears to be Keighley?

Thats true, cumbria to Cornwall wont be too dissimilar from newcastle to west wales or skolars to whitehaven.

I dont get the issue myself, its almost like a tour game, easily make a weekend of it and team bonding. Could even fly down. 

League 1 players are hardly trying to make a living from playing and I cant see any of them realistically moaning about playing an away game anywhere

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

I think this is a good point.

These sides are great ambassadors for the game in less obvious areas.

Keighley Cougars are aiming to bring both the white and Asian communities together through rugby league. They are also educating about Homophobia. 

I have copied a link from the Guardian about this if anyone would like to read. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/feb/17/keithley-cougars-rugby-league

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Thats true, cumbria to Cornwall wont be too dissimilar from newcastle to west wales or skolars to whitehaven.

I dont get the issue myself, its almost like a tour game, easily make a weekend of it and team bonding. Could even fly down. 

League 1 players are hardly trying to make a living from playing and I cant see any of them realistically moaning about playing an away game anywhere

I’ve not seen a player moan. I’ve seen fans on here moan about their clubs travelling to Canada,France and now Cornwall. The RFL need to support L1 with travel expense as they did with Thursday night games in SL.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think this is a good point.

These sides are great ambassadors for the game in less obvious areas.

Keighley Cougars are aiming to bring both the white and Asian communities together through rugby league. They are also educating about Homophobia. 

I have copied a link from the Guardian about this if anyone would like to read. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/feb/17/keithley-cougars-rugby-league

Absolutely loads of sports clubs do this sort of thing though. And as worthy as it is, it doesn't entitle those clubs to a preservation order.

On 03/11/2021 at 18:50, Man of Kent said:

Maybe this won’t be a flash in the pan.

The Cornwall RLFC director seems a very capable chap http://www.cornishrebels.co.uk/colin-groves-announced-as-cornish-rebels-director/#more-934

Thanks for putting this up a very interesting interview.

This Groves bloke sounds like a bit of a goer. I have to admit I`m not sure if his motivations are purely altruistic towards League or if this is just part of a wider plan to improve the chances of having a stadium built. i.e. tenants all year round.

Either way some of the talk is similar to what we have heard coming out of Toulouse:

What John and Rob have achieved with the Rebels so far is incredible and we now have the foundation in place for the sport to really take off; It is a natural and logical fit with Cornwall as a summer sport. We are moving forward with a vision of three major sports in the County; Rugby Union, Soccer and finally we see Rugby League as the third piece of that puzzle.“

I think some of these modern administrators aren`t weighed down by the baggage of the past. This bloke Groves has a background in business and economics, he`ll know that sport and all the associated industries are a potential growth area in any economy.

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It is definitely to get the stadium built.  Worry would be once It has been built they dont need you but if cornwall are knocking on door of SL in 4 years could have legs. 

They are starting off part time. SL won’t happen in 4 years. The current structure will change when the TV funding is renewed in 2024. Where does that leave them? I nor you know. 

On a RFL facilities with league 1 what is the minimum number of seats required? It used to be 500 in about 2016 but this ground only has 200 have the requirements changed/not a factor any more? And my 2nd question is Laurent Frayssinous still under contract and if so how does that work is he under contract of the franchise of Hemel moving to Ottawa now to Cornwall so would be the current head coach or was it only for 2021 that he signed for Ottawa?