The Cornwall RLFC Thread

41 minutes ago, Griff said:

No, because I have no information on which to base an opinion.

No of course not, not yet.

But you can conduct a thought experiment, where you imagine some possible scenarios and their likely outcomes over time.

Then you can choose which you prefer.

This is part of an iterative process you can (should) engage in, before setting goals for yourself, or (in this case) for the new RL club, or rugby league in general. 

Playing these mind games, prior to an important decision, may help you avoid blindly and randomly accepting ''terms'' of your future relationships which could lead to unhappy/unfair/inequitable outcomes.

In other words to avoid falling into a trap.

Even better, it might help you get the very best possible outcome! 

I'm just inviting you into such a thought experiment and to choose which outcome you would prefer.  

3 minutes ago, DEANO said:

The club will not exist by the time the stadium is built

This is a philosophical challenge because the stadium isn't going to be built.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, Tabby said:

Sure I’ve read this somewhere before…

Perez said: "Moving to Cornwall makes it a truly national sport. Cornwall and the north of England are extremely similar places, with its culture and industrial history. The class system is not there. It’s a rugby league place waiting to happen. There’s a massive untapped talent resource there because everybody in Cornwall picks up an oval ball.
I have three goals. Old Trafford, build up RL across Cornwall and have Cornish players playing for England. There are no professional summer sports in Cornwall. That makes us a tourist attraction. In Cornwall we can actually make an impact. The project is fully financed, with the money that was going into Ottawa having been diverted to Cornwall. The squad will initially be part-time". Perez is confident he can win over the doubters when he presents his plan to a meeting of Championship and League 1 clubs on Wednesday.
"We’re going to build this sustainably over time. I personally would like to be in Super League within seven to 10 years. There is already a lot of grassroots activity which we will be supporting and the Cornish Rebels are going to be a feeder club".

One community club for 500 thousand people compared to 37 for rugby union. So they will be reliant on union clubs for players. Might work but we'll see what the RFU has to say about that.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

No of course not, not yet.

But you can conduct a thought experiment, where you imagine some possible scenarios and their likely outcomes over time.

Then you can choose which you prefer.

This is part of an iterative process you can (should) engage in, before setting goals for yourself, or (in this case) for the new RL club, or rugby league in general. 

Playing these mind games, prior to an important decision, may help you avoid blindly and randomly accepting ''terms'' of your future relationships which could lead to unhappy/unfair/inequitable outcomes.

In other words to avoid falling into a trap.

Even better, it might help you get the very best possible outcome! 

I'm just inviting you into such a thought experiment and to choose which outcome you would prefer.  

Thanks for the invitation.

What if I come to a conclusion and the club decides to do something else?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

What I think would be really useful in these types of threads is people to clearly differentiate between what they think will happen and what they want to happen.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

What I think would be really useful in these types of threads is people to clearly differentiate between what they think will happen and what they want to happen.

Why? I think everyone on here would love to see a strong club in Cornwall but I think it is fair to ask questions of this particular club. I think they will either fold or end up like West Wales and rooted to the bottom of League 1.

You have big cities on the edge of the core areas like Nottingham or Derby and there is no plan to develop the sport there. Cornwall is a rugby union heartland and their only professional club has no chance of getting into the Premiership. A rugby league club won't be successful unless all the union clubs decide to switch codes which isn't happening.

6 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Why? I think everyone on here would love to see a strong club in Cornwall but I think it is fair to ask questions of this particular club. I think they will either fold or end up like West Wales and rooted to the bottom of League 1.

You have big cities on the edge of the core areas like Nottingham or Derby and there is no plan to develop the sport there. Cornwall is a rugby union heartland and their only professional club has no chance of getting into the Premiership. A rugby league club won't be successful unless all the union clubs decide to switch codes which isn't happening.

If you would love to see a strong club in Cornwall, how would you suggest we go from having no club to a strong club? It might involve starting in a very modest way and take time. 

What would you suggest? 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

If you would love to see a strong club in Cornwall, how would you suggest we go from having no club to a strong club? It might involve starting in a very modest way and take time. 

What would you suggest? 

You need a strong community club scene. I think they should forget about Cornwall. League's future is in the cities. Start with schools and then community clubs. It is a long term strategy but rugby league could do with a bit more of that. Union is about 100 years ahead in terms of the number of clubs in most counties and that's why they have stronger professional game with a lot of potential for further growth.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

You need a strong community club scene. I think they should forget about Cornwall. League's future is in the cities. Start with schools and then community clubs. It is a long term strategy but rugby league could do with a bit more of that. Union is about 100 years ahead in terms of the number of clubs in most counties and that's why they have stronger professional game with a lot of potential for further growth.

Your suggestion is sensible. But it's not your money they are spending, so what difference would it make in the grand scheme of things. Hemel were formed in 1981, how's that gone? It doesn't always work following the path of what sounds logical. 

RL is running out of time cos it never did the groundwork and it needs to do *something*. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

Your suggestion is sensible. But it's not your money they are spending, so what difference would it make in the grand scheme of things. Hemel were formed in 1981, how's that gone? It doesn't always work following the path of what sounds logical. 

RL is running out of time cos it never did the groundwork and it needs to do *something*. 

And parachuting a semi-professional club which was meant to be in Canada won't save the game. It doesn't matter if it's not my money. Another club failing just creates more negative news for the game.

6 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

And parachuting a semi-professional club which was meant to be in Canada won't save the game. It doesn't matter if it's not my money. Another club failing just creates more negative news for the game.

Why is it up to them to 'save the game'? 

But let's imagine Cornwall disappear in 12 months. Pretty much nobody will be any the wiser, let alone will there be any headlines. 

On 04/11/2021 at 14:14, Johnoco said:

After the split in 1906, the soccer side of Bradford FC, Bradford Park Avenue applied -and got- membership of the Southern League (after Fulham joined the Football League) This was before cars or even coaches were widely available. 

So it's nothing new.....

Absolutely robbed Southend United, who had won the Southern League Second Division at an absolute canter. But it's ok, I'm over it now. Mostly.

• Like 3

Just now, Johnoco said:

Why is it up to them to 'save the game'? 

But let's imagine Cornwall disappear in 12 months. Pretty much nobody will be any the wiser, let alone will there be any headlines. 

Why set up a new club if you have no interest in saving the game. I never actually said it was their responsibility anyway. Of course there will be headlines. Always is when it comes to rugby league.

5 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Absolutely robbed Southend United, who had won the Southern League Second Division at an absolute canter. But it's ok, I'm over it now. Mostly.

That's some grudge! 😁

4 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Why set up a new club if you have no interest in saving the game. I never actually said it was their responsibility anyway. Of course there will be headlines. Always is when it comes to rugby league.

So why can't Wigan or St Helens be responsible for saving the game? Why would it be up to a bunch of newcomers? 

Do you remember the headlines about Oxford or Gloucester or Hemel dropping out of the league? I'm not sure I do. 

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So why can't Wigan or St Helens be responsible for saving the game? Why would it be up to a bunch of newcomers? 

Do you remember the headlines about Oxford or Gloucester or Hemel dropping out of the league? I'm not sure I do. 

It isn't but I also don't think they should be setting up a new club in a union heartland with no solid plan for growing the community game. That's what happened to Gloucester and Oxford. As for the headlines, every negative bit of news get put on the front page of Sky and BBC these days.

35 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

It isn't but I also don't think they should be setting up a new club in a union heartland with no solid plan for growing the community game. That's what happened to Gloucester and Oxford. As for the headlines, every negative bit of news get put on the front page of Sky and BBC these days.

That’s not really what happened to Oxford…

• Like 1

Evening Campers:)

Amongst all the doom and gloom on here I have thought about this long and hard.

When Cornwall County RU take 30/35/40000 to Twickenham does anyone think the vast majority are RU fans certainly not they go because its CORNWALL 90% could not give a Toss about the rugby.

The Cornish pirates struggle to get crowds mainly because the rugby is to be blunt ###### I am certain that the masses that would follow the Cornwall brand would be easily hooked on league:)

I actually think that Perez could be onto something here and wish them all the success in the world if Cornwall RL are awarded a Monday night match next season on Premier Sport I know that the wife would certainly take a punt with some sponsorship.

Why do I know its because I have just told her to do it:)))

GOOD LUCK I say 

Paul 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

How do you know they have no solid plan for growing the community game? It is quite clear they are working/will work with the Cornish Rebels to create pathways.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

How do you know they have no solid plan for growing the community game? It is quite clear they are working/will work with the Cornish Rebels to create pathways.

So one community club compared to the 37 for rugby union. The numbers are against them unless they form pathways for players coming from the union clubs as well which I'm the RFU will be fully supportive of.