The Cornwall RLFC Thread

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Has somebody died and left them a windfall?? It's the only logical explanation as far as I can see!

With the sport contracting,and the lack of central funding,only this sport could encourage a Cornish replacement after the hype surrounding Ottawa.

One sided games don't attract spectators.Upskilling Union players don't work.

The likely end to promotions won't assist,either.

Rejected Academy players won't be rushing to Cornwall any time soon.

I ain't no visionary - and this sport ain't produced one in recent years.

Strategic thinkers wanted.Maybe Exeter University can help.

• Like 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You said that those persons you know used to follow RL but now they think it's a joke.  I was asking why they came to think that?

Ah. It all started when sky bought the game …..

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Ah. It all started when sky bought the game …..

It started from who they invested in. Some of the muppets remain. With the amount of personal investment from some chairman makes the likes of that comment comical.

Edited by Tabby

The thing is what will people judge Cornwall on as being a success ?

Are London Skolars a success ? been around for years providing people with the oppertunity to play the game at semi pro level and progressing onto a higher level.

Are Newcastle a success ? I remember going to play in Gateshead International Stadium for North Wales Coasters in the early 90s. Out of this Gateshead team Newcastle Thunder have developed including the local amateur scene.

Are Coventry Bears a success ? Steady away building and even took the brave step of re branding in an effort to survive.

North Wales Crusaders......now at Colwyn Bay. North Wales Coasters played out of Llandudno, Abergele, Rhyll and Colwyn Bay in the early 90s at NW Counties division 5 level. Now 20 years on a semi pro team is continuing from the Coasters......similar to Gateshead and Newcastle Thunder.

Are Crusaders a success ??

So what will make Cornwall a success ??

If they are still around in ten years time  and have a junior set up and are providing a path way for any talent to step up to a higher level then we have to say yes.

Look at some of the heartland clubs,400,500,600 crowds yet we class them as traditional rugby league clubs who struggle year in year out to survive BUT provide a path way for players, have a local community behind them yet are never going to be any bigger than 1st division or championship level.

Lets not judge Cornwall RL on having to reach super league in a new 15 thousand seater stadium. Newcastle have taken 20 odd years to get where they are.

If Cornwall can settle into a mid table league one  side within five years attracting a crowd that allows them to progress financially then hey we have a another area producing players .

Skolars, Newcastle and Coventry are examples of slow slow steps.

Gateshead (mark one), Crusaders , Kent Invicta, Cardiff , Carlisle etc etc etc are examples of #### or bust.

Edited by yanto
  • Like 12

41 minutes ago, yanto said:

Are London Skolars a success ? been around for years providing people with the oppertunity to play the game at semi pro level and progressing onto a higher level.

Are Newcastle a success ? I remember going to play in Gateshead International Stadium for North Wales Coasters in the early 90s. Out of this Gateshead team Newcastle Thunder have developed including the local amateur scene.

Are Coventry Bears a success ? Steady away building and even took the brave step of re branding in an effort to survive.

North Wales Crusaders......now at Colwyn Bay. North Wales Coasters played out of Llandudno, Abergele, Rhyll and Colwyn Bay in the early 90s at NW Counties division 5 level. Now 20 years on a semi pro team is continuing from the Coasters......similar to Gateshead and Newcastle Thunder.

If they are still around in ten years time  and have a junior set up and are providing a path way for any talent to step up to a higher level then we have to say yes.

Look at some of the heartland clubs,400,500,600 crowds yet we class them as traditional rugby league clubs who struggle year in year out to survive BUT provide a path way for players, have a local community behind them yet are never going to be any bigger than 1st division or championship level.

Lets not judge Cornwall RL on having to reach super league in a new 15 thousand seater stadium. Newcastle have taken 20 odd years to get where they are.

If Cornwall can settle into a mid table league one  side within five years attracting a crowd that allows them to progress financially then hey we have a another area producing players .

Gateshead (mark one), Crusaders , Kent Invicta, Cardiff , Carlisle etc etc etc are examples of #### or bust.

For me, if they can complete this first season, having not been thrashed every single week then that will be success IMO. I just fear that they have massively underestimated the challenge of recruiting a competitive team. Unless of course they have a very wealthy backer who is prepared to throw silly money at coaches and players.

If they under-recruit, get pumped by 100 every week and end up folding mid-season, then that would be a big embarrassment for the comp. My gut tells me that the latter is more likely based on the available information (assuming they actually make the start line).

18 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

For me, if they can complete this first season, having not been thrashed every single week then that will be success IMO. I just fear that they have massively underestimated the challenge of recruiting a competitive team. Unless of course they have a very wealthy backer who is prepared to throw silly money at coaches and players.

If they under-recruit, get pumped by 100 every week and end up folding mid-season, then that would be a big embarrassment for the comp. My gut tells me that the latter is more likely based on the available information (assuming they actually make the start line).

Given their involvement with TWP and then trying to put an Ottawa team together before Covid (and SL’s parochial clubs) put a stop to it I think they know what it takes to put a competitive L1 team together. 

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Given their involvement with TWP and then trying to put an Ottawa team together before Covid (and SL’s parochial clubs) put a stop to it I think they know what it takes to put a competitive L1 team together. 

I hope you're right. But those ventures had a much longer lead-in before they started playing. Toronto had Paul Rowley and Brian Noble on board as coaches a year before they started playing. They also ran loads of trials to recruit players, and to my knowledge, next to none of the triallists actually ended up making the grade. Cornwall have around 3 months to get a competitive team together, with no coaches announced as yet. It's going to be 'interesting'.. 

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We are talking L1. No SBW’s required. All suffered from COVID not only what falls within your interest.

Edited by Tabby

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But being based in the south the only way to be competitive is to have a full time or hybrid set up.  I just dont see how any club in the south can do otherwise.  

At least Crusaders can get lads part time and Skolars have a massive population to get a few part time lads from.  But if you want to attract fans to a new offer there does have to be the potential of success.  

Exactly. It's all very admirable wanting a team predominantly made up from Cornish players, but if they're getting pasted by 100 points most weeks (based on how West Wales did in their first full year), then the novelty is going to wear off pretty quick.

On 03/11/2021 at 01:35, Gav Wilson said:

spacer.png

Give Cornwall a chance. If it works, we have a brand new catchment area and a few thousand new Rugby League fans. If it doesn't, what have we really lost in the grand scheme of things?

All fans of our game should 100% behind this.

Junior players and clubs are on the decline in the M62 corridor and we need to find players from outside this mythical place called the Rugby League Heartlands

• Like 3

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Good post. Right now, it’s stages. For me, others will differ, success will be starting 2023 as recognisably the same club that started and finished 2022. No rebrands, movements or gimmicks … a foundation laid and being built on.

Then success will be competitive/success on the field and developments off it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I hope you're right. But those ventures had a much longer lead-in before they started playing. Toronto had Paul Rowley and Brian Noble on board as coaches a year before they started playing. They also ran loads of trials to recruit players, and to my knowledge, next to none of the triallists actually ended up making the grade. Cornwall have around 3 months to get a competitive team together, with no coaches announced as yet. It's going to be 'interesting'.. 

TWP were also actually based in the 'heartlands' 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I get what your saying but I should think its easier to get some decent level players to travel to Cornwall than to Ottawa, which is what was going to happen if the Ottawa situation had not changed.

Maybe the backbone of the Cornwall club is already in place as did a number of league one (and maybe even championship ) players not sign for the Canadian outfit and could already be on the Cornwall register ??

Maybe Im wrong on this but something tells me they had some players signed up.

2 minutes ago, yanto said:

I get what your saying but I should think its easier to get some decent level players to travel to Cornwall than to Ottawa, which is what was going to happen if the Ottawa situation had not changed.

Possibly, but then Toronto were based in the UK for several months of the year.

3 minutes ago, yanto said:

Maybe the backbone of the Cornwall club is already in place as did a number of league one (and maybe even championship ) players not sign for the Canadian outfit and could already be on the Cornwall register ??

I've been told that they've all since moved on to other clubs, as they'd signed for Ottawa for 2021, which ultimately didn't happen.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But being based in the south the only way to be competitive is to have a full time or hybrid set up.  I just dont see how any club in the south can do otherwise.  

At least Crusaders can get lads part time and Skolars have a massive population to get a few part time lads from.  But if you want to attract fans to a new offer there does have to be the potential of success.  

Skolars have Tottenham and Saracens on their doorstep so a lot of competition for attention. Two big clubs so unless Skolars become a full-time team and start winning titles then I can't see them attracting many new fans. Ultimately, success and good marketing are key to growth.