The Cornwall RLFC Thread

3 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

I can’t begin to explain what a circus that was.

They did interview for coaches but once they found out how much it would roughly cost to get promoted (I believe 150k was the figure given at the time) the then Football club chairman just said no.

That same chairmen was arrested for a “missing” 10 million of council Money showing Mr Rimmer once again did his due diligence. 

Ralph Rimmer comes across really well in this 😕 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Ralph Rimmer comes across really well in this 😕 

This is exactly why so many people are sceptical about Cornwall. And just because people are sceptical doesn't mean we're being negative for the sake of it. Watching that video back you can see so many similarities between Northampton and Cornwall. If we're wrong, and Cornwall go on to be a massive success, then I'm sure all us naysayers will be delighted to be proved wrong. It's just that the weight of evidence points to another Northampton.

Everything in that video looked and sounded really positive. But for one reason or another, all of the expansion clubs from this period have now disappeared or relocated. Northampton folded before they started. Hemel, All Golds and Oxford are no longer pro clubs, and Coventry have rebranded and moved to Birmingham. And all of those clubs had a hell of a lot more going for them than Cornwall currently do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

This is exactly why so many people are sceptical about Cornwall. And just because people are sceptical doesn't mean we're being negative for the sake of it. Watching that video back you can see so many similarities between Northampton and Cornwall. If we're wrong, and Cornwall go on to be a massive success, then I'm sure all us naysayers will be delighted to be proved wrong. It's just that the weight of evidence points to another Northampton.

Everything in that video looked and sounded really positive. But for one reason or another, all of the expansion clubs from this period have now disappeared or relocated. Northampton folded before they started. Hemel, All Golds and Oxford are no longer pro clubs, and Coventry have rebranded and moved to Birmingham. And all of those clubs had a hell of a lot more going for them than Cornwall currently do. 

RL seems to attract a lot of chancers and all they need to do is spout a load of rubbish and people lap it up (See also Euro XIII and NARL). This whole Northampton bid never had any credibility at all. Coventry got knocked back in favour of this Northampton team too 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

There is a lot of Trash Talk on this thread, but Cornwall RLFC will be there on day one.

You call it 'trash talk'. I call it scepticism. It's going to be a massive, massive challenge to be there on day one. And it's going to be an even bigger challenge to still be there at the end of the season. I really hope you're right. But at the moment, it reeks of another Northampton Rebels, with the people involved massively underestimating the challenge ahead. Please tell me they have a quality coach and the bulk of their squad signed up.

43 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

You can't build L1 squads from open trials - perhaps you can add up to 4 players this way.

It would be reassuring to hear about signings.

I'm dying for some news Archie, waiting with bated breath.

4 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

You can't build L1 squads from open trials - perhaps you can add up to 4 players this way.

If they've got some money behind them I think it will be easier to attract Australians, NZers and Pacific Islanders and (possibly French) than it would be to get Northerners to head south. This probably needs to be the plan at the beginning to make them competitive until they are in a position to use mainly British players and even local products

Edited by JM2010

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If they've got some money behind them I think it will be easier to attract Australians, NZers and Pacific Islanders and (possibly French) than it would be to get Northerners to head south. This probably needs to be the plan at the beginning to make them competitive until they are in a position to use mainly British players and even local products

Any idea what the visa situation would be for this? Presumably not straightforward, especially now we're not in the EU.

On 03/11/2021 at 09:11, Mark S said:

Looking forward to them playing. Anything that unsettles the flat cappers is fine by me. One day the game will release itself from the shackles of the north working class mindset that holds so much back.

I'm a flat capper and it certainly doesn't unsettle me. There will be problems but I think it's great that we are being joined by Cornwall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Any idea what the visa situation would be for this? Presumably not straightforward, especially now we're not in the EU.

For an overseas player to come in on a part time deal they have to be able to gain a European passport I.e have a Dutch Nan or have x-amount of international caps, or have played in a World Cup. 

Not as straightforward as it once was.

13 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

For an overseas player to come in on a part time deal they have to be able to gain a European passport I.e have a Dutch Nan or have x-amount of international caps, or have played in a World Cup. 

Not as straightforward as it once was.

Cheers. Is that still the case now we've left the EU?

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

That's a good point. Not sure how easy it is to get SH players over here to play L1

As far as I know they have to be an international player to obtain a visa. Countries are in tiers with Australia and NZ in tier one. Others tier 2 which is more difficult. Obviously a league 1 team is not going to be able to attract an Australia or NZ international. That's why many players who come over have dual nationality. Am not sure on the rules now on EU passport holders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Coventry Bears have unearthed some gems through open trials but as you say you won't build a team around it. Generally a couple of players selected from trials might make it into the first team. 

Hemel flagged up the impact of the Super '8s' in July 2014  on Championsip 2 but by the third week in June 2016 - which coincided with the Brexit vote -they were forced to make decisions, no different to those made by Coventry Bears recently, that would ultimately determine their future in semi-pro rugby league.

In the meantime, the Stags prosper as a Community club - something they were always good at.

The book of the club 41 year history that comes out in June 2022 will make interesting reading on the semi-pro  era of the club.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Hemel flagged up the impact of the Super '8s' in July 2014  on Championsip 2 but by the third week in June 2016 - which coincided with the Brexit vote -they were forced to make decisions, no different to those made by Coventry Bears recently, that would ultimately determine their future in semi-pro rugby league.

In the meantime, the Stags prosper as a Community club - something they were always good at.

The book of the club 41 year history that comes out in June 2022 will make interesting reading on the semi-pro  era of the club.

Are the Stags the only community club in Hemel? Are there plans for any more in the area?

For me, increasing the amount of community clubs in towns and cities is real expansion

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I'm not sure they could afford that many overseas players, don't they need to pay them a certain wage to get a visa?