The Cornwall RLFC Thread

2 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

The thought that lads can just turn up for trials and then play against seasoned professionals in League 1 is laughable. They might find a few players, not a whole squad. 

Even locals who have  played to a good standard in rugby Union will struggle. This is all coming across very naive and rushed. 

Yes the old chestnut.. We can play League cos we have played Union..👍

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sltipping said:

Player trials are due to take place in December so will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Hopefully there’s a lot of work going on behind the scenes regarding recruitment and announcements imminent as lots of players are getting tied up

We don’t trial anymore. You scout.

A few negative comments of late, so worth addressing to the best of my (limited) ability.

First, detractors should not labour under the illusion that those behind Cornwall RLFC are doing anything other than working every available hour to make the club a success. That loud pronouncements have yet to be made - here or via any other means - should not be taken as evidence of inactivity. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Second, basing a team in Cornwall brings unique challenges but also unique benefits. This, of course, extends to player recruitment. Notwithstanding the experience offered by the Cornish Rebels over recent years, it goes without saying that few local players have played Rugby League at the level which will be demanded of them. However, that lack of exposure is offset by the wealth of South West talent available for Cornwall RLFC to draw upon. There is no doubt that each new player will develop and improve with every game.

I think many here will be pleasantly surprised come the start of the 2022 season.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ChristianB said:

A few negative comments of late, so worth addressing to the best of my (limited) ability.

First, detractors should not labour under the illusion that those behind Cornwall RLFC are doing anything other than working every available hour to make the club a success. That loud pronouncements have yet to be made - here or via any other means - should not be taken as evidence of inactivity. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Second, basing a team in Cornwall brings unique challenges but also unique benefits. This, of course, extends to player recruitment. Notwithstanding the experience offered by the Cornish Rebels over recent years, it goes without saying that few local players have played Rugby League at the level which will be demanded of them. However, that lack of exposure is offset by the wealth of South West talent available for Cornwall RLFC to draw upon. There is no doubt that each new player will develop and improve with every game.

I think many here will be pleasantly surprised come the start of the 2022 season.

Can I ask what your relationship is with the club to have some kind of inside track on knowledge.

22 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

The thought that lads can just turn up for trials and then play against seasoned professionals in League 1 is laughable. They might find a few players, not a whole squad. 

Even locals who have  played to a good standard in rugby Union will struggle. This is all coming across very naive and rushed. 

They are aiming to recruit 10-12 player from Cornwall, not the entire Squad, they will bring in some good players from established League teams, and maybe (Covid permitting) some Pacific Islanders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

They are aiming to recruit 10-12 player from Cornwall, not the entire Squad, they will bring in some good players from established League teams, and maybe (Covid permitting) some Pacific Islanders.

‘Aiming’ and ‘will’ suggests none of this has happened yet? Cutting it fine…

8 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Can I ask what your relationship is with the club to have some kind of inside track on knowledge.

You may!

I have worked with some of those behind the club on another Rugby League-related project in Cornwall. I can attest to their determination to make this succeed, and confirm that it is in very safe hands.

Whatever little snippets of up-to-date information I have is not for me to report. There is, as I understand it, a lot of dotting i's and crossing t's going on, and it is only right that those doing the dotting and crossing spread the news when ready.

My personal involvement has nothing to do with the administration of Cornwall RLFC (it is 'passionate and peripheral', for want of better terms!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

You may!

I have worked with some of those behind the club on another Rugby League-related project in Cornwall. I can attest to their determination to make this succeed, and confirm that it is in very safe hands.

Whatever little snippets of up-to-date information I have is not for me to report. There is, as I understand it, a lot of dotting i's and crossing t's going on, and it is only right that those doing the dotting and crossing spread the news when ready.

My personal involvement has nothing to do with the administration of Cornwall RLFC (it is 'passionate and peripheral', for want of better terms!)

What is your occupation? Marketing?  Call center? What work did you perform behind the scenes?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I hope Cornwall is a huge success, but wouldn’t 2023 have been a better year to start so they could get everything sorted instead of having to rush around now ?. 

To play requires players.Simple. Who is signed up? The clock is ticking.

Edited by Tabby

1 hour ago, Tabby said:

What is your occupation? Marketing?  Call center? What work did you perform behind the scenes?

It would not much matter if I were a dental technician, plumbing apprentice, or CEO of a FTSE100 company. And I am none of those.

But I do know that by March 2022 there will be a Cornwall RLFC team taking to the field for their first match against North Wales.

That same team will get better and better as the season progresses. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

It would not much matter if I were a dental technician, plumbing apprentice, or CEO of a FTSE100 company. And I am none of those.

But I do know that by March 2022 there will be a Cornwall RLFC team taking to the field for their first match against North Wales.

That same team will get better and better as the season progresses. 

Well said CB and if you maybe get a match on Premier Sport next season give my wife a call happy to help with some sponsorship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

And I, for one, will be there to watch and give my vocal support to them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Josef K said:

I hope Cornwall is a huge success, but wouldn’t 2023 have been a better year to start so they could get everything sorted instead of having to rush around now ?. 

Gotta start somewhere, why not as early as possible and build into it. RL fans seem to always aim for the now, these clubs should be getting as much encouragement as possible from everyone with a long term view and some patience. Seeing people whining about them not having everything in place minutes after they came into existence is pathetic, but unfortunately entirely expected.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Gotta start somewhere, why not as early as possible and build into it. RL fans seem to always aim for the now, these clubs should be getting as much encouragement as possible from everyone with a long term view and some patience. Seeing people whining about them not having everything in place minutes after they came into existence is pathetic, but unfortunately entirely expected.

Your post is a bit contradictory really.

You are criticising RL fans for 'aiming for the now' - yet you are responding to  a post asking for more patience and a better longer term plan.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Seeing people whining about them not having everything in place minutes after they came into existence is pathetic, but unfortunately entirely expected.

I think, TBH, the whining is more about them seemingly not having anything in place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, dkw said:

It must be pretty disconcerting when newcomers and new fans to the RL 'family' are met with having to justify themselves and are met with downright hostility. We saw it on here with Toronto fans, many of which just stopped posting here as a result, and now we see the same kind of replies to Cornwall fans who are trying to be as open and honest as possible when answering questions.

Cornwall may work out, it may not but if it doesn't it certainly isn't the end of the world to anyone on this forum. You wouldn't think it though reading some people's posts.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Damien said:

It must be pretty disconcerting when newcomers and new fans to the RL 'family' are met with having to justify themselves and are met with downright hostility. We saw it on here with Toronto fans, many of which just stopped posting here as a result, and now we see the same kind of replies to Cornwall fans who are trying to be as open and honest as possible when answering questions. Cornwall may work out, it may not but if it doesn't it certainly isn't the end of the world to anyone on this forum. You wouldn't think it though reading some people's posts.

There's no "downright hostility" Damien, people may become sceptical if there is nothing tangible to back up claims of a new RL force in Cornwall. A couple of Cornwall fans didn't seem able to answer the key question about players, add to that Mr Perez and his record, and no wonder we are where we are in the discussion  BUT It didn't take long to find this on the Internet.....

"Cornwall RLFC have committed to offer at least ten paid contracts to Cornish or Cornwall-based athletes for the 2022 Betfred League 1 season as they prepare to assemble their first official squad. They are set to hold trials in December and have invited interested athletes to send a playing CV and match footage to info@cornwallrlfc.co.uk. "As part of our club's Cornwall-first policy, we want to ensure that the bulk of our squad is made up of Cornish athletes. Rugby League is one of the toughest, most exciting sports on the planet. It requires strength, skill, bravery, and athleticism. Cornwall RLFC believe these are qualities Cornish athletes have in abundance." 

And so the fact is potential players are applying for the trials, and these will be sometime this month. I then assume after the Xmas break the players that make the cut will start training and there will be the addition of seasoned RL players  and whatever overseas players the rules allow. Why lurch towards a big argument when the information is out there??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve oates said:

There's no "downright hostility" Damien, people may become sceptical if there is nothing tangible to back up claims of a new RL force in Cornwall. A couple of Cornwall fans didn't seem able to answer the key question about players, add to that Mr Perez and his record, and no wonder we are where we are in the discussion  BUT It didn't take long to find this on the Internet.....

"Cornwall RLFC have committed to offer at least ten paid contracts to Cornish or Cornwall-based athletes for the 2022 Betfred League 1 season as they prepare to assemble their first official squad. They are set to hold trials in December and have invited interested athletes to send a playing CV and match footage to info@cornwallrlfc.co.uk. "As part of our club's Cornwall-first policy, we want to ensure that the bulk of our squad is made up of Cornish athletes. Rugby League is one of the toughest, most exciting sports on the planet. It requires strength, skill, bravery, and athleticism. Cornwall RLFC believe these are qualities Cornish athletes have in abundance." 

And so the fact is potential players are applying for the trials, and these will be sometime this month. I then assume after the Xmas break the players that make the cut will start training and there will be the addition of seasoned RL players  and whatever overseas players the rules allow. Why lurch towards a big argument when the information is out there??

We've seen it all before Steve, every new club takes the same path especially the ones perceived as a threat in some way. You cant have been on this forum for very long if you haven't witnessed this. That is why we end up with one combined Cornwall thread, one Toronto thread, one Toulouse thread etc while we can have several different ones created in a day for Leigh or Wakefield. It's embarrassing at times and I've seen countless good contributors to this forum disappear as a result.

Its not up to Cornwall fans on here to justify what the club is doing or having to justify what their role and occupation is just because they try to answer questions to the best of their ability. As you say the information you quote has been there for quite some time and was posted on here ages ago. That hasn't satisfied those who only wish to criticise though. So like you say maybe you should be asking those that are criticising why the big argument.

• Like 4

On 02/12/2021 at 10:14, Damien said:

It must be pretty disconcerting when newcomers and new fans to the RL 'family' are met with having to justify themselves and are met with downright hostility.

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

That hasn't satisfied those who only wish to criticise though. So like you say maybe you should be asking those that are criticising why the big argument.

I don't think this is a fair reflection of this thread. I get what you're saying about the likes of Toronto etc, but I haven't seen any hostility on this thread. I've seen a lot of scepticism (none moreso than from myself) because I think a lot of people are genuinely intrigued as to how this is all going to play out and are keen for more information. At the end of the day, this is an online discussion forum, and people are just discussing what is an intriguing project. Surely you wouldn't want to the forum to be an echo chamber where everybody is just cheerleading with the exact same opinion?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I don't think this is a fair reflection of this thread. I get what you're saying about the likes of Toronto etc, but I haven't seen any hostility on this thread. I've seen a lot of scepticism (none moreso than from myself) because I think a lot of people are genuinely intrigued as to how this is all going to play out and are keen for more information. At the end of the day, this is an online discussion forum, and people are just discussing what is an intriguing project. Surely you wouldn't want to the forum to be an echo chamber where everybody is just cheerleading with the exact same opinion?

Of course I wouldn't. However when that becomes personal abuse as was directed at Christian B on the last page for having the temerity to try and answer questions, and which has since been deleted, then that crosses the line. I would certainly classify that as hostility. The mods do a damn fine job of keeping on top of things so perhaps that's why you don't see it.

Anyhow I do agree with your general point but there is a great deal of difference between scepticism and constructive criticism and some of what we see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

However when that becomes personal abuse as was directed at Christian B on the last page for having the temerity to try and answer questions, and which has since been deleted, then that crosses the line. I would certainly classify that as hostility. The mods do a damn fine job of keeping on top of things so perhaps that's why you don't see it.

I hadn't seen that, and that is very disappointing. As you say, there's no need for any of that and it would no doubt be very dispiriting for newcomers to the game. But from the posts I've read on this thread (which is 35 pages long now) there has been mainly scepticism and constructive criticism, rather than hostility. And literally all of the available evidence should tell us to be very sceptical of another expansion project - the common theme with all of them is that are invariably under-funded and under-resourced. It would be fantastic for the game to have a new, successful club in Cornwall, but every single pro expansion club that started in the last decade has either disappeared or relocated.

• Like 1