The Cornwall RLFC Thread

40 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He might end up doing given the differences in house prices between Wakefield and the South West

I doubt there's much difference in house prices between somewhere like Camborne and Wakefield, tbh. Not all of Cornwall is tourism and second homes/ retirement homes, there's some ex-industrial/mining towns too.

Very good appointment. Obviously he's coached two different teams to championship success, coached in SL and international teams, but I wonder whether his experience in union might come in handy if they do end up taking on a few locals. I assume he'll have a few players to bring down from Yorkshire too.

As a Dewsbury Rams Fan I have nothing but good things to say about Neil, he is a committed and thorough coach/manager.

His appointment is just what Cornwall need, his experience in both codes will work for him.

Just found my second team! 😀

• Like 6

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They’re off then, hopefully starting to prove some of the doubters wrong, I doubt Neil Kelly would be involved in this if it was all about to go t1ts up.  Can’t wait for the first player announcements. 

Some of the best times of my life surfing in Cornwall.

As long as Cornwall don’t have any doubts, that’s what matters.

Certainly appealing to players on the cusp of upper amateur/pro level and what an experience it might be.  

One positive is that visiting clubs won’t have any issues with passport control 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

Reading that, does he live in a caravan? No disrespect of course.

What I meant is there are plenty of cheaply rented, long term holiday mobile home parks in South Cornwall. 

As well as short-term for visiting fans wanting to combine a break with a match.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Some of the best times of my life surfing in Cornwall.

Some of the worst bruises of my young life attempting surfing in Cornwall!

Assuming that families make it a holiday ‘weekend’ trip to see the their team, there will be some interesting ‘discussions’ on or before matchday….”and who is looking after the kids? Really, and my reward and when?“

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

He took over as caretaker coach at Dewsbury no so long ago and lifted them out of the mire IIRC

Neil did a fantastic job at Dewsbury, they looked all but down and relegated when he took over and he had an immediate impact taking them to mid table.

He improved them again in his second year and things looked to be heading in the right direction until a personal tragedy brought his time at the club to an end.

Happy to see him back in the game, his knowledge of Championship Rugby and his time in Union will make his credentials tough to match.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Neil did a fantastic job at Dewsbury, they looked all but down and relegated when he took over and he had an immediate impact taking them to mid table.

He improved them again in his second year and things looked to be heading in the right direction until a personal tragedy brought his time at the club to an end.

Happy to see him back in the game, his knowledge of Championship Rugby and his time in Union will make his credentials tough to match.

Yes I read about this and it must have been devastating. Taking time out of the game can be for a number of reasons not just being out of a RL job. He is a top coach at this level and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.