The Cornwall RLFC Thread

13 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

As a Dewsbury Rams Fan I have nothing but good things to say about Neil, he is a committed and thorough coach/manager.

His appointment is just what Cornwall need, his experience in both codes will work for him.

Just found my second team! 😀

He was the Dewsbury coach when I started going to the Heavy Woollen sides games in 1999. They had a very good team then. 

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great stuff. Surely the doubters must be changing their minds now. Cornwall are my new joint second team (along with Widnes and Sheffield Eagles). 

Must they be changing their minds ?

They have a head coach & one player whilst the other clubs are in or about to start preseason training.

Im all for expansion but Cornwall still have a pretty big mountain to climb before the start of the season.

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Must they be changing their minds ?

They have a head coach & one player whilst the other clubs are in or about to start preseason training.

Im all for expansion but Cornwall still have a pretty big mountain to climb before the start of the season.

Yes they’ve announced two very sensible appointments. Surely nobody is naive enough to think that they haven’t got more lined up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes they’ve announced two very sensible appointments. Surely nobody is naive enough to think that they haven’t got more lined up. 

I think its quite clever to keep drip feeding signings and announcements. It guarantees plenty of stories and keeps them in the news.

• Like 7

Just now, CornwallRL said:

Looking through these posts, there is a lot of negative sarcastic posts on this thread. Is that how we welcome a new member of our family to the table?

If you don't want a nice weekend away, in Cornwall, there is always Perpignan. 

35 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

Looking through these posts, there is a lot of negative sarcastic posts on this thread. Is that how we welcome a new member of our family to the table?

Generally, aye.

• Haha 4

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

I anticipate more news over coming days.

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

Are you able to say, are you putting together a squad to try to get promoted, or one to find your feet in L1? 

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

Could there be any plans to play games in Devon, Torquay for example as Truro did, though I appreciate that was due to other issues?

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I'm really hoping that Cornwall not only make the 2022 start but also hold their own and win a few matches. However I am still sceptical. I know that you are loosely involved with the club and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions (though obviously understand if not).

It is great that Cornwall will be based in Cornwall and have an element of local players but presumably the bulk of players will need to be existing semi pros or talented amateurs talked into giving it a go. Are the club hoping to convince players to move down to Cornwall? Would they look at helping the semi pro players find jobs (presumably not in the tourist industry due to weekend games)? Or are they expecting to pay the players enough that rugby would be their sole income? Also how much is the cost of living there? I appreciate there will be different costs in different areas but for example what would the cost of a 2 bed house to rent be?

It's been great to see some new names on here after the announcement of Cornwall but has there been much interest in the semi pro or amateur union game down there amongst the players at coming over to try RL?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are you able to say, are you putting together a squad to try to get promoted, or one to find your feet in L1? 

By 'you' one means Neil and the directors. I have absolutely no influence or input (nor experience in such matters)!

Hypothetically, you could parachute in half of the Melbourne Storm team and gain promotion. But what good would that do? It would neither be authentic nor grow the grassroots of the game. Everyone I know involved in Cornwall RL over the past decade has been driven by giving athletes with the necessary attributes for the sport an outlet. So, I expect the team will be balanced between the experienced and the best local talent. No surprises there.

Do I have any idea which established RL players the coach will sign in coming months? No. Do I think he and those behind the scenes are deadly serious in making this club a success in Yr1 and beyond? Hell, yes.

2 hours ago, Niels said:

Could there be any plans to play games in Devon, Torquay for example as Truro did, though I appreciate that was due to other issues?

Honestly no idea. I would be surprised if the club didn't devote itself entirely towards establishing itself at the Memorial Ground in the first season. Who knows beyond that. Personally, I have a lot of time for Polson Bridge at Launceston - one of the most delightfully-situated rugby grounds in the British Isles, right on the banks of the River Tamar. 

Either way, I reckon Penryn is the perfect place. My lad has played for its juniors and the people who run the club are a really good bunch.

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I'm really hoping that Cornwall not only make the 2022 start but also hold their own and win a few matches. However I am still sceptical. I know that you are loosely involved with the club and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions (though obviously understand if not).

It is great that Cornwall will be based in Cornwall and have an element of local players but presumably the bulk of players will need to be existing semi pros or talented amateurs talked into giving it a go. Are the club hoping to convince players to move down to Cornwall? Would they look at helping the semi pro players find jobs (presumably not in the tourist industry due to weekend games)? Or are they expecting to pay the players enough that rugby would be their sole income? Also how much is the cost of living there? I appreciate there will be different costs in different areas but for example what would the cost of a 2 bed house to rent be?

It's been great to see some new names on here after the announcement of Cornwall but has there been much interest in the semi pro or amateur union game down there amongst the players at coming over to try RL?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with healthy scepticism!! I'll try and answer in a roundabout way...

I have watched pretty much every one of the home matches of the Cornish Rebels and Cornwall v Devon games over the past few years. I could name at least six (currently active) players who, if they had been born in an RL town, would be Championship standard if not higher. It is my hope that they all get to the trials stage because, being honest, the 'pro' game will suddenly have guys who had previously been withheld from it.

I am in no doubt that Neil Kelly will bring out the best in them and cause more than a few surprises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, newbe said:

In defence of Cornwall, how many clubs always have a full squad of local players. Not picking out any particular teams, but Skolars, Hurricanes have a lot of players that don't come from the area, what's the difference.

How many players from Oldham or Hunslet are from those towns? I genuinely don't know the answer but I would imagine not a full squad. I do think that some people's obsession with local players at all pro/ semi pro levels does not help the game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChristianB said:

Nothing wrong with healthy scepticism!! I'll try and answer in a roundabout way...

I have watched pretty much every one of the home matches of the Cornish Rebels and Cornwall v Devon games over the past few years. I could name at least six (currently active) players who, if they had been born in an RL town, would be Championship standard if not higher. It is my hope that they all get to the trials stage because, being honest, the 'pro' game will suddenly have guys who had previously been withheld from it.

I am in no doubt that Neil Kelly will bring out the best in them and cause more than a few surprises.

Thanks for your reply. I suppose the fact that there are the Cornish Rebels and the county games does help. It always confused me how people expected Toronto to bring in players who had never played the game. To me that shows a real disrespect for rugby league that they thought complete novices could compete with seasoned semi pros no matter how impressive they are physically. 

I'm sure that there will be a step up in quality for the Cornish players but with a good coach and help with some very good quality pros then I hope and think they'll be up to the challenge. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

You’ve made a classic error, you’re starting small with a business plan that might just work. So you’re a waste of space.

Had you carried on with the ridiculous travesty that was Toronto they would still love you. It’s all about vanity, so long as it’s a big city, preferably in a country 5000 miles away with zero interest in the sport they are not interested.

TBH I don’t think you’ll ever make SL but as a semi pro club I think you’ll do just fine and for once you’ll represent expansionism done the right way.

It’s not always about big clubs it’s about spreading the game at all levels. So we’ll done from me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You’ve made a classic error, you’re starting small with a business plan that might just work. So you’re a waste of space.

Had you carried on with the ridiculous travesty that was Toronto they would still love you. It’s all about vanity, so long as it’s a big city, preferably in a country 5000 miles away with zero interest in the sport they are not interested.

TBH I don’t think you’ll ever make SL but as a semi pro club I think you’ll do just fine and for once you’ll represent expansionism done the right way.

It’s not always about big clubs it’s about spreading the game at all levels. So we’ll done from me.

Zero interest? 

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

Or Hunslet, for Heartlands affectionados. 

This is very poor form indeed.

Hunslet is an area where two of the finest Amateur clubs in the country, Hunslet Warriors and Hunslet Parkside play.

Indeed Leeds is steeped in RL history and has a strong schools, and junior/senior RL set ups.

Tremendous club Stanningley is in the west Leeds area, Rhinos are a top top club. Bramley survive....

If you feel people are not being supportive of Cornwall (and I certainly am and have noted their trials and also noted their first pro signing) then don't have a go at anyone in the "Heartlands"

Have it out with the individuals themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

As far as I can see there is a very strong correlation between the people that supported Toronto also supporting Cornwall. Similarly there is a strong correlation between the people that are anti Cornwall that were also anti Toronto.

• Like 1