The Cornwall RLFC Thread

A lot of the comments here once again focusing on 'expansion' clubs. What did other clubs in league 1 do in the same time period referred to? Did they offer any more value for money?

Good luck to Cornwall, so far they seem to be on track though do think they are still underestimating the task at hand. 

• Like 2

Can somebody explain to me what this "licence" is that Mr. Perez obtained from Hemel to allow him to put Ottawa in League One? I never realised RL operated a licensing system and is there one available every time a team drops out of the League?   That said, and as someone who was once  involved in an expansion club many years ago, I wish Neil Kelly and his team all the best for the future.

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The problem is that with its base in smallish unfashionable northern towns, the game doesn't have a way to bring in the sort of money needed for those expansion clubs to break even and then become profitable.  The result of that is that their backers eventually run out of money to keep putting in to bridge the gap between income and expenses and they go belly up.  Until a solution to the game's lack of money is found, the same poor outcome can be expected sooner or later.  As Salford's experience with Marwan Koukash shows, the same basic problem faces traditional clubs too.

Absolute rubbish.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's not a straw man argument at all. It was the RFL's money - they chose to allocate it to new League 1 clubs with limited/non-existent foundations underpinning them. Nobody was forcing them to do this.

This is a discussion forum. It is not my job to formulate a strategic plan for the RFL, or to humour yourself. I do not have the knowledge, time or inclination to do this. 

No I do not believe it is good on its own. I never said I did. What I did say was that it would have been better than pouring a million pounds down the drain. I can only assume that you think spending a million pounds over 5 years on 3 clubs that have folded was money well spent and a risk worth taking, because you haven't said otherwise.

As I've said, it isn't my job to do this. I don't work for the RFL. This is a discussion forum. Since when did wanting the RFL to devise a strategic plan for developing the game equate to me having to devise it?? That is a ludicrous viewpoint. Is your opinion that the RFL shouldn't have a strategic plan for developing the game??

I don't believe the other League 1 funding was well spent either, regardless of location of team. But as least those other League 1 clubs are still going.

I'm a lot more comfortable with it than when it was 70k. If clubs generate their own investment then it's absolutely fine for them to spend it how they like. That was how pro rugby league always used to operate.

These are pretty much the same points you made before, I don't agree with much of what you've said, it just seems like hindsight criticism to me. I've nothing else to add that I haven't said before so will have to agree to disagree. Otherwise it will fill this thread with a circular argument. 

Good luck to Cornwall I hope they are a success, even if not I look forward to watching rugby there whilst it lasts. I do know people in that area who really like RL through watching on TV, whether it's enough to generate a decent crowd is to be seen, I hope so but not yet convinced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

These are pretty much the same points you made before, I don't agree with much of what you've said, it just seems like hindsight criticism to me. I've nothing else to add that I haven't said before so will have to agree to disagree. Otherwise it will fill this thread with a circular argument. 

And likewise, you haven't addressed questions I've put to you either. I haven't got the time or energy to trawl back through old threads, but I'm pretty sure I made some of these criticisms on this forum at the time, so I can assure you it isn't from hindsight. But fair enough, let's leave it there.

13 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

The way TV and central funding has been used is questionable at all levels of the professional game. Speedway is in big trouble after losing its TV money, having blown the dosh on higher wages and not fixing the ceiling. RL is on a two year TV deal that seems to be declining in value. The RFL need to learn lessons from speedway and fast 

I’ve heard this before. I don’t think Speedway’s ills can be placed solely on the TV deal. The RFL in some manner have learnt because they’ve successfully secured free to air coverage. I reckon you could date Speedway’s problems to when they lost the GP highlights package on free to air. 

The emergence of the Polish League into a professional set up which could see them pay its competitors enough that they didn’t have to race any other league. Alongside that Speedway has fallen victim to the economy where land which can be developed for residential units. Nearly 85% of teams don’t own their homes - as result the stadiums are mostly shoddy and have zero attraction to anyone under the age of 25. 

4 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Terrific. The squad is gaining momentum. Anyone know who this lad is?

A homegrown Cornish lad, the kind of signing that people wanted the club to do to develop local talent.

That is of course until they do that then a signing like this becomes a nobody who isn't good enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Damien said:

A homegrown Cornish lad, the kind of signing that people wanted the club to do to develop local talent.

That is of course until they do that then a signing like this becomes a nobody who isn't good enough.

I did some digging and he’s been playing in the university system. Gloucestershire I believe. Well done to the club. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Terrific. The squad is gaining momentum. Anyone know who this lad is?

Played against him last season and the season before. Is an excellent finisher and scored try’s for fun at uni and community level.

Hard to say how he’ll go in L1 due to the huge increase in quality opposition and the lack of teammates. 

• Like 1

A great opportunity for both local lads and perhaps for any northern-based blokes who currently play at a good amateur level, but quite fancy a summer or two in Cornwall.

Cracking place to live and you wont struggle to find work during the summer months. The county is screaming out for seasonal hospitality/construction/healthcare workers.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tiffers said:

A great opportunity for both local lads and perhaps for any northern-based blokes who currently play at a good amateur level, but quite fancy a summer or two in Cornwall.

Cracking place to live and you wont struggle to find work during the summer months. The county is screaming out for seasonal hospitality/construction/healthcare workers.

If I was 20 years younger (ok 25) I would be down like a shot . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I noted on BBC Neil Kelly was quoted as saying that some of the other clubs in League 1 were complaining about having to travel to Penryn once a year, the players of Conwall RL will have to do a similar trip 10 times a year, thank God Newcastle & Cumbrian clubs are in the Championship, that could well be 2 overnight stays for us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CornwallRL said:

I noted on BBC Neil Kelly was quoted as saying that some of the other clubs in League 1 were complaining about having to travel to Penryn once a year, the players of Conwall RL will have to do a similar trip 10 times a year, thank God Newcastle & Cumbrian clubs are in the Championship, that could well be 2 overnight stays for us.

Any idea when your jerseys will be on sale? 

3 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

So Cornwall is further away than Toronto?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

You’ll get used to it NCL clubs whinged about travelling up to Cumbria to play Wath Brow once a season,they had meltdowns when Egremont & Kells got promoted to make 3 West Cumbrian teams in the Premier.

49 minutes ago, robins up north said:

So Cornwall is further away than Toronto?

Well, if you are a small Northern Club on a tight budget, without any promise of transport support from the RFL, or us, then yes, financially it could be a lot further for all of us, until Cornwall RLFC starts generating income.

Don't forget, we are getting very limited financial support.

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You’ll get used to it NCL clubs whinged about travelling up to Cumbria to play Wath Brow once a season,they had meltdowns when Egremont & Kells got promoted to make 3 West Cumbrian teams in the Premier.

When we get promoted, and more locals/businesses get behind us, Newquay Airport is only an hour away.

1 hour ago, CornwallRL said:

When we get promoted, and more locals/businesses get behind us, Newquay Airport is only an hour away.

From what I've been led to understand an hour of travel is an absolute eternity for the denizens of the M62 communities.

Good on you that you are looking on the positive side of things.  And all the best for the future.

• Like 4