The Cornwall RLFC Thread

On 26/12/2021 at 01:09, del capo said:

Can't be done in a day by plane.

First  ' northern ' opposition game seems to be against Rochdale. in May.

Flying saturday returning monday ( ko 13.00  sunday ) costs  £118 return at present on Skyscanner ..

Long weekend break is the only realistic option for flying travelling fans.

£500  out of the wallet  if you travel that way ?

Cheaper to go watch Catalans in Perpignan and just as quick!!!!!!!

Edited by newbe

1 hour ago, newbe said:

Cheaper to go watch Catalans in Perpignan and just as quick!!!!!!!

Unless your a league 1 fan of course, as if you are, you probably have no interest in watching a SL team against Cats.

It may surprise you but most league 1 fans who travel away do so to watch their team so they will be more likely to travel to Cornwall than France.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2021 at 23:08, Waynebennettswinger said:

Pretty sure that Clive Griffiths made mention of this in one of those excellent League Express interviews. They even had a major sponsor willing to plough money in, this money was lost when they ended up with a lower division side.

I agree that Wales has been one big opportunity missed after another. I can only hope that one of the Welsh Clubs builds slowly and solidly into a side that can challenge, a little like Newcastle appear to have done, it looks like North Wales may now do this in Colwyn Bay.

The reality was South Wales were denied an SL place because they could "only" put up a £1Million guarantee, Their stint in the Championship saw them do OK on the pitch but they didn't get the support of the fans attracting only a 1,300 average, and that £Million was all quickly spent. The "expansion" place then went to Gateshead who could meet the required bond, and they went on to win most of their Super League  games with 4.000 crowds but still lost a whopping £700,000 by the end of their first season and threw in the towel.

There have been no "opportunities missed" none of these expansion sides have ever had adequate backing except Newcastle. Newcastle have not "built slowly and solidly", Semor Kurdi has thrown away £Millions on them just to become an average Championship side. The realty about expansion is it is not self financing, it needs many £££Millions throwing at it over many years . If you are a well supported heartlands club  you too will also  struggle unless you too have a rich owner putting £Millions in. 

North Wales have no chance, their task is pure survival as is Cornwall's. Look how much Hughes has put into London and for how long to get where exactly??
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great, though it’s worrying that they’ve only signed three players so far, with the season so close. 

Two of those only have university level experience too.  Good luck to the players though.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great, though it’s worrying that they’ve only signed three players so far, with the season so close. 

There's a lot of work for them to be ready. West Wales are in the same boat but Cornwall at least have an experienced coach in place. The Hurricanes have been training since November and have their first pre season game tomorrow. Other clubs are similarly advanced in their preparations. 

3 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

There's a lot of work for them to be ready. West Wales are in the same boat but Cornwall at least have an experienced coach in place. The Hurricanes have been training since November and have their first pre season game tomorrow. Other clubs are similarly advanced in their preparations. 

Have WW lost all their players too then? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Have WW lost all their players too then? 

They lost quite a few through the season last year and during this off season. They've only re-signed a couple that I can see and despite putting 3 assistant coaches in place still have no head coach. No skin off my nose but they don't appear to be learning lessons from the past

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

They lost quite a few through the season last year and during this off season. They've only re-signed a couple that I can see and despite putting 3 assistant coaches in place still have no head coach. No skin off my nose but they don't appear to be learning lessons from the past

I know of two rugby league people who’ve sent quite serious emails sharing their concerns. Raiders’ response to both has been quite flippant, almost laughing the matter off with ‘everything will be OK, we own our own ground!’

They recently announced they’re going to pay more notice to the dozen or so community clubs in wales to strengthen partnerships they’d previously neglected , however many see this as their reaction to being unable to sign quality players from elsewhere I.e the unfortunate Plan B.

I’ll be honest - they’re terribly run. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I know of two rugby league people who’ve sent quite serious emails sharing their concerns. Raiders’ response to both has been quite flippant, almost laughing the matter off with ‘everything will be OK, we own our own ground!’

They recently announced they’re going to pay more notice to the dozen or so community clubs in wales to strengthen partnerships they’d previously neglected , however many see this as their reaction to being unable to sign quality players from elsewhere I.e the unfortunate Plan B.

Do they own it? I always assumed it was the football club or council that did. In fact looks to me like the council do - https://www.llanellitowncouncil.gov.uk/index.php?id=112

7 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Thoughts on Peter Tiffin? He’s in charge of the football club too, if memory serves me correctly. 

15 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Only 10 more needed to put a team on the park for their first game then.

I played a season with only 9 players. It was torture, but we still had the occasional fun. I got very good at kick offs. I was able to get the ball back almost everytime by finding the touch line. I remember also kicking a field goal when we were behind 60-10. Memories…

Re Peter Tiffin and the administration of the Raiders - the club appear to be making the same mistakes every year. To date they seem to have announced only 4 players signed so far, they have no head coach and the three assistant coaches would seem to have little rugby league coaching experience. Last season when they had only nine players available initially for the Barrow match I heard that it was two of the players who did most of the chasing round to fill the gaps and this season it would appear could be similar. 

There are difficulties of course, the geographical isolation of the club, the presence of a world famous union club in town etc. but the great potential for a successful club in South Wales,which most people would hopefully welcome, is presently being wasted. I wish the Raiders all the best and would love to see them prosper but I fear for the worst.

• Sad 1

On 26/12/2021 at 01:09, del capo said:

Can't be done in a day by plane.

First  ' northern ' opposition game seems to be against Rochdale. in May.

Flying saturday returning monday ( ko 13.00  sunday ) costs  £118 return at present on Skyscanner ..

Long weekend break is the only realistic option for flying travelling fans.

£500  out of the wallet  if you travel that way ?

Yerah - we play them bank holiday weekend. Expect travel carnage.

3 hours ago, EggFace said:

Whats he done as never heard of him till now ?

He runs Raiders, I have absolutely nothing against him personally as I’m sure he’s a lovely fellow but his skill set to run a club professionally is non-existent. 

But take one look at WWR’s website and social media - it’s littered with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and is generally all very amateur. I’d give them this if it was still Year 1 but by now you’d hope to see development in these areas. Tiffin is responsible for all of these things.

The club has no ‘plan’ in terms of its brand both on and off the field. They’ve not even put season tickets on sale yet.

About 4 weeks ago they tweeted that ST’s would be released the following Saturday and still nothing. Poor.

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

He runs Raiders, I have absolutely nothing against him personally as I’m sure he’s a lovely fellow but his skill set to run a club professionally is non-existent. 

But take one look at WWR’s website and social media - it’s littered with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and is generally all very amateur. I’d give them this if it was still Year 1 but by now you’d hope to see development in these areas. Tiffin is responsible for all of these things.

The club has no ‘plan’ in terms of its brand both on and off the field. They’ve not even put season tickets on sale yet.

About 4 weeks ago they tweeted that ST’s would be released the following Saturday and still nothing. Poor.

They do seem to be a bit of a shambles, but in fairness the fact that sports are not allowed any spectators currently and indefinitely in Wales makes it awkward to try and flog season tickets.

21 hours ago, Dan Taye-Sinferno said:

There are difficulties of course, the geographical isolation of the club, the presence of a world famous union club in town etc. but the great potential for a successful club in South Wales,which most people would hopefully welcome, is presently being wasted. I wish the Raiders all the best and would love to see them prosper but I fear for the worst.