The Cornwall RLFC Thread

Neil Kelly live on BBC Radio Cornwall this morning with a really upbeat tone.
Stating 35 or so lads at the open trial yesterday. 80% Cornish lads with a lot of RU background. Although, interestingly, a number travelled down from the north to trial. Not helped by atrocious weather over the weekend meaning a last minute change of venue from Penryn to Newquay.

He also revealed they are expecting 15 or so first team contracts to be handed out to local lads and there are a number of contract offers out with players looking to finalise terms. Kelly admits they are behind the curve and they need to be in pre-season training ASAP. Sounds like a number of players will finish their RU season to then join up with the squad in the spring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bcbxh6
Starts around 1hr:33m

Edited by tiffers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tiffers said:

Neil Kelly live on BBC Radio Cornwall this morning with a really upbeat tone.
Stating 35 or so lads at the open trial yesterday. 80% Cornish lads with a lot of RU background. Although, interestingly, a number travelled down from the north to trial. Not helped by atrocious weather over the weekend meaning a last minute change of venue from Penryn to Newquay.

He also revealed they are expecting 15 or so first team contracts to be handed out to local lads and there are a number of contract offers out with players looking to finalise terms. Kelly admits they are behind the curve and they need to be in pre-season training ASAP. Sounds like a number of players will finish their RU season to then join up with the squad in the spring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bcbxh6
Starts around 1hr:33m

I think I have pretty good credentials as an expansionist but its hard not to be a bit worried by this. The bulk of the squad are going to be lower tier union players who won't even dip their toes into league until the union season is over? Even the hapless WWR had a stronger foundation than that. 

Perhaps this is just inevitable given there seems to be a rush to get the club up and running when really they should wait till 2023. So year 1 will be experimental. But going forward you cant stock a L1 club with off season union players, and indeed nor should we consider that acceptable either. This isn't a community league. 

When you set up a club in an area with no junior clubs, you have to bring in experienced pros, and I hope we'll see that in '23. That's just reality, which Perez of all people knows well. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think I have pretty good credentials as an expansionist but its hard not to be a bit worried by this. The bulk of the squad are going to be lower tier union players who won't even dip their toes into league until the union season is over? Even the hapless WWR had a stronger foundation than that. 

Perhaps this is just inevitable given there seems to be a rush to get the club up and running when really they should wait till 2023. So year 1 will be experimental. But going forward you cant stock a L1 club with off season union players, and indeed nor should we consider that acceptable either. This isn't a community league. 

When you set up a club in an area with no junior clubs, you have to bring in experienced pros, and I hope we'll see that in '23. That's just reality, which Perez of all people knows well. 

Good points and some of that interview was worrying in terms of players and playing numbers.

On the positives Kelly was nothing if not honest about being a bit behind - which is refreshing and better to communicate things than hide that away. There was mention of contract offers having been made to pros in the North so interesting that (assuming) none have gone for this. Maybe this will change and we'll see some signings in the coming months or if the distance is just too far for them to want to make the move. And if it is mostly Union players then yes they will be match fit - whether they will even have time to know our rules by the time April 2nd comes though is another matter!

28 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Good points and some of that interview was worrying in terms of players and playing numbers.

On the positives Kelly was nothing if not honest about being a bit behind - which is refreshing and better to communicate things than hide that away. There was mention of contract offers having been made to pros in the North so interesting that (assuming) none have gone for this. Maybe this will change and we'll see some signings in the coming months or if the distance is just too far for them to want to make the move. And if it is mostly Union players then yes they will be match fit - whether they will even have time to know our rules by the time April 2nd comes though is another matter!

I think the honesty is the most important aspect of the interview. So often, new ventures (which we well know are open to wide criticism from parts of the rugby league fanbase) lack transparency. If Neil Kelly's approach to transparency remains and becomes a culture within the whole club, this will go a long way to growing friends, supporters and wider-respect.

I think we should be absolutely clear that this particular Rome will most definitely not be built in one day (season).

• Like 3

I don't have any issue with signing RU players and local players. At the end of the day this is League 1 and we want to be developing new talent pools. A balance is needed for sure but Cornwall would be getting as much stick if they just signed loads of northern pros.

However what does concern me is that these players need to be there now doing a proper pre season. Waiting until the RU season is done is just a recipe for disaster when it comes to fitness and RL skills, never mind team cohesion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think I have pretty good credentials as an expansionist but its hard not to be a bit worried by this. 

Please do not be.

No one in Cornwall is ignorant of the challenges, but Neil Kelly is an outstanding coach who will draw the best from whoever he recruits.

To recap, Anthony Mullaly is a seasoned professional, while Sam and Henry are fit & strong young men whose best Rugby League is ahead of them. What's more, I am in no doubt they won't be the only local players turning heads in the heartlands during 2022.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Please do not be.

No one in Cornwall is ignorant of the challenges, but Neil Kelly is an outstanding coach who will draw the best from whoever he recruits.

To recap, Anthony Mullaly is a seasoned professional, while Sam and Henry are fit & strong young men whose best Rugby League is ahead of them. What's more, I am in no doubt they won't be the only local players turning heads in the heartlands during 2022.

Kelly is an excellent signing so I agree, he'll get the best out of what's available. But i think people underestimate the level of L1 - amomg the heartland clubs it's way way above that of the community leagues, and absolute beginners will be found out. 

If it were easy to turn amateur union players into competitive semi pro league players someone would have done it already, we've had enough goes at it over the years. 

For whatver reason - perhaps imminent restructuring - there's a rush to get Cornwall going this year. So they'll have to wing it. But for 2023, I'd be astonished if the bulk of the squad wasn't experienced pros comjng down from the north, complemented in years to come by a trickle of locally developed players. 

• Like 2

Neil Kelly described players coming from local rugby union as being "match fit" when the rugby league season starts. Yes - match fit for playing the low level rugby union (Cornish Pirates excepted) that goes on in Cornwall! Will they be, in any way, match fit for third tier rugby league?

44 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Neil Kelly described players coming from local rugby union as being "match fit" when the rugby league season starts. Yes - match fit for playing the low level rugby union (Cornish Pirates excepted) that goes on in Cornwall! Will they be, in any way, match fit for third tier rugby league?

RU converts will not be match fit for RL even if they have been playing all year- it's a different fitness that is needed but they should be able to catch up in a month or two.

Cornwall need to utilize the RFL recruitment rules and quickly.

They are entitled to 5 DR players from any SL or Champ clubs without the need to have a fixed arrangement ( Rhinos / Fev style ) as they are non heartland. 

They can also have up to 10 Amateurs co registered with Community clubs. They are allowed overseas players from countries affiliated to ERL.

Contracts  can be pitched as low as £2k pa but with generous non taxable expenses thrown in , and a summer lifestyle on the English Riviera , it could well find a few young guns interested.

Time ( and organisation with money ) being of the essence.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, del capo said:

RU converts will not be match fit for RL even if they have been playing all year- it's a different fitness that is needed but they should be able to catch up in a month or two.

Cornwall need to utilize the RFL recruitment rules and quickly.

They are entitled to 5 DR players from any SL or Champ clubs without the need to have a fixed arrangement ( Rhinos / Fev style ) as they are non heartland. 

They can also have up to 10 Amateurs co registered with Community clubs. They are allowed overseas players from countries affiliated to ERL.

Contracts  can be pitched as low as £2k pa but with generous non taxable expenses thrown in , and a summer lifestyle on the English Riviera , it could well find a few young guns interested.

Time ( and organisation with money ) being of the essence.......

Good points.

The English Riviera is Torbay, which I think would be a good place to take some games to try. I asked Christian this before, I remember. 

19 minutes ago, Niels said:

Good points.

The English Riviera is Torbay, which I think would be a good place to take some games to try. I asked Christian this before, I remember. 

They don't get any fans to watch the football team let alone a rugby league game.

1 hour ago, Exiled red said:

They don't get any fans to watch the football team let alone a rugby league game.

I can understand why you think this and you are probably correct.

My only comeback would be that they are 8th in average attendances for the National League, above Halifax. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

If I was 19 or 20 years old I'd be packing me swimming trunks

But not your rugby boots?

What services are you planning to offer the team?

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

But not your rugby boots?

What services are you planning to offer the team?

Time to lock the thread.. dear god dont let an answer come to those questions.. the images it will conjure up arent worth it!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't have any issue with signing RU players and local players. At the end of the day this is League 1 and we want to be developing new talent pools. A balance is needed for sure but Cornwall would be getting as much stick if they just signed loads of northern pros.

However what does concern me is that these players need to be there now doing a proper pre season. Waiting until the RU season is done is just a recipe for disaster when it comes to fitness and RL skills, never mind team cohesion.

I suppose one critical factor here is that we don't quite know yet just how many will come from RU clubs yet to finish their season. We heard that around 15 players are likely to be local lads, but 2 Cornish lads who have already signed have strong RL credentials and are not so on the back foot as someone that has never played league before with no pre-season (appreciate that L1 is a step up from the level they have played at). If it was 15 players with no RL credentials at all and no pre-season, then yes, I would agree that would be a difficult platform to start the L1 season with.

If Cornwall RL can get a core group of players in pre-season ASAP, then at least the bulk of the squad will have been training together and get a decent pre-season in. Remember 1st game is early April for CRLFC.

Longer-term though, it sends a very strong message to local union players that Cornwall RL is also a route to professional rugby. Prior to this, that door didn't even exist and was not at all a consideration for Cornish rugby players. This can only be a good thing for RL in general.

• Like 4

This might not be a popular opinion but since there's no relegation from League 1, I don't think it necessarily matters how good Cornwall are this year on the pitch. Obviously there comes a point where they're losing too much to build supporters etc, but I think a lot of potential fans will be patient in their first season at least, especially if they can demonstrate their policy of bringing through local talent.

If I was in charge, then I would be definitely targeting a 3-5 year growth plan with the intention of making the team competitive (i.e. challenging for play-offs) within that time. Any results before that would be a bonus, but the main priority would be growing off the field and developing local players and systems to ensure they've got a good feed-through for years to come.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Niels said:

Good points.

The Torquay Athletic RU ground is right on the seafront. It's a much nicer location than Plainmoor, where Torquay United FC set up home (to be near the town's working class residents) after quitting what became the RU ground.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zylya said:

This might not be a popular opinion but since there's no relegation from League 1, I don't think it necessarily matters how good Cornwall are this year on the pitch. Obviously there comes a point where they're losing too much to build supporters etc, but I think a lot of potential fans will be patient in their first season at least, especially if they can demonstrate their policy of bringing through local talent.

If I was in charge, then I would be definitely targeting a 3-5 year growth plan with the intention of making the team competitive (i.e. challenging for play-offs) within that time. Any results before that would be a bonus, but the main priority would be growing off the field and developing local players and systems to ensure they've got a good feed-through for years to come.

From a fan's POV, Years 1/2 you just want to see that players, coaches , owners are commited to getting the club established and you're not wasting your money coming back next week.

Years 2/3 you want to competitive with the other teams not in the play-off mix and maybe getting your first win against one of them.

Years 3/4 you want to be winning all your home games against them and maybe one away.

Years 4/5 you want to believe that the first win against a 'heartlands' teams is round the corner.

Year 5/6 you hope it happens and you can now think about fighting for a play-off place.

Starting from scratch in League 1 is tough - as West Wales have found - but the club will get support if the fans can see that there is something worth getting behind. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

From a fan's POV, Years 1/2 you just want to see that players, coaches , owners are commited to getting the club established and you're not wasting your money coming back next week.

Years 2/3 you want to competitive with the other teams not in the play-off mix and maybe getting your first win against one of them.

Years 3/4 you want to be winning all your home games against them and maybe one away.

Years 4/5 you want to believe that the first win against a 'heartlands' teams is round the corner.

Year 5/6 you hope it happens and you can now think about fighting for a play-off place.

Starting from scratch in League 1 is tough - as West Wales have found - but the club will get support if the fans can see that there is something worth getting behind. 

Couldn't agree more. Fans are realistic, as long as the effort is there and they can see progress then they'll be relatively happy and will support the team. It'll be a steep learning curve but a consistent squad showing progress will be key to fan engagement 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Couldn't agree more. Fans are realistic, as long as the effort is there and they can see progress then they'll be relatively happy and will support the team. It'll be a steep learning curve but a consistent squad showing progress will be key to fan engagement 

Absolutely agree with you and Yorks Tim that this is the right approach, just feel that some people's worries that they might not have a strong squad this year may be overestimating how good their squad needs to be this year - so they might have a lot of local players who aren't up to League 1 standard, but that doesn't mean it's curtains for them so early in their life.

• Like 1