The Cornwall RLFC Thread

13 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The Torquay Athletic RU ground is right on the seafront. It's a much nicer location than Plainmoor, where Torquay United FC set up home (to be near the town's working class residents) after quitting what became the RU ground.

I didn't realise that, it is next to the Grand Hotel.

I don't know what your thoughts are about expansion? 

For me it depends on the club and location. For example I would have an interest in any club at Torquay. So if Cornwall did play any games there it would become very interested in them.

Why would Cornwall play in Torquay, it’s over 100 miles and a couple of hours away from Falmouth.  No one has suggested, for example, West Wales play in Swindon or Barrow play in Widnes or Leeds play in Leicester. Surely better to build presence and fan base in their local area?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sitona said:

Why would Cornwall play in Torquay, it’s over 100 miles and a couple of hours away from Falmouth.  No one has suggested, for example, West Wales play in Swindon or Barrow play in Widnes or Leeds play in Leicester. Surely better to build presence and fan base in their local area?

It is also in Devon so I don't imagine any team called Cornwall would be too appealing to the locals in Torquay anyway.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sitona said:

Indeed. If they thought Torquay was the right place then that should have been their permanent base and they should have been called Devon.  As is they've chosen to Cornwall and that should be their focus.

23 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The Torquay Athletic RU ground is right on the seafront. It's a much nicer location than Plainmoor, where Torquay United FC set up home (to be near the town's working class residents) after quitting what became the RU ground.

The ground in Penzance is even nicer! And, in Cornwall perspective, a lot nearer.

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sitona said:

Difficult to understand the distances between these areas unless you've actual been down there and traveled between them.

I always think I'm almost there when I get to Exeter when in reality I'm possibly not even half way time wise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Niels said:

I didn't realise that, it is next to the Grand Hotel.

I don't know what your thoughts are about expansion? 

For me it depends on the club and location. For example I would have an interest in any club at Torquay. So if Cornwall did play any games there it would become very interested in them.

I'm all for expansion (despite its less than successful history in Britain).

As others have said, the distances - and awful roads - are a major stumbling block in the West Country, should Cornwall RLFC decide to play a game in Devon.

I lived and worked in Exeter for a while, in the late 1990s (and the traffic's got much worse since), so experienced it first hand. In summer, of course, when the bulk of the visitors are present, travelling by car is particularly time-consuming.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

From a fan's POV, Years 1/2 you just want to see that players, coaches , owners are commited to getting the club established and you're not wasting your money coming back next week.

Years 2/3 you want to competitive with the other teams not in the play-off mix and maybe getting your first win against one of them.

Years 3/4 you want to be winning all your home games against them and maybe one away.

Years 4/5 you want to believe that the first win against a 'heartlands' teams is round the corner.

Year 5/6 you hope it happens and you can now think about fighting for a play-off place.

Starting from scratch in League 1 is tough - as West Wales have found - but the club will get support if the fans can see that there is something worth getting behind. 

I'd actually disagree with this - unless you're really sure that there are enough people out there crying out to watch rugby league, you need a winning team. It was a much easier sell to get people to come and watch the team that they kept reading about winning on the back page of the Oxford Mail (in the first season). 

Im still absolutely baffled with this choice of new club (from Eric Perez).

Eric Perez's vision and 'why' motivation factor was to expand clubs in Canada and N America. Realising with the pandemic that's just too difficult in a transatlantic sense, how did he come up with Cornwall as a location?

I hope it does well, genuinely. 

23 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

Im still absolutely baffled with this choice of new club (from Eric Perez).

Eric Perez's vision and 'why' motivation factor was to expand clubs in Canada and N America. Realising with the pandemic that's just too difficult in a transatlantic sense, how did he come up with Cornwall as a location?

I hope it does well, genuinely. 

My conspiracy theory - and it has been hinted at on here elsewhere - is that he has been approached/ saw an opening to get involved with the proposed new Cornwall Stadium. 

Wearing a non-conspiracy hat then it could be seen as another area with no other competitors (I’d have liked to have seen Bristol but you have football and RU there).

14 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

My conspiracy theory - and it has been hinted at on here elsewhere - is that he has been approached/ saw an opening to get involved with the proposed new Cornwall Stadium. 

Wearing a non-conspiracy hat then it could be seen as another area with no other competitors (I’d have liked to have seen Bristol but you have football and RU there).

Perhapsthe question to be asked, as per your non-conspiracy hat, is why there are no other competitors?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

From my knowledge on the ground here, the stadium project is a nice coincidence.

It is mutually beneficial at the moment as an opportunity to raise funding ("we have another professional sports team that will/may play in it") and it may well help Cornwall RL in the future if it secures that funding. But it doesn't determine the short-term success of the club.

The Memorial Ground holds several thousand spectators. That is more than adequate at the moment for Cornwall RL.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why do people say they want the Cornwall team to play games in Devon? Devon and Cornwall are different places, it’s like saying you want London Skolars to play some home games in Cromer. 

Well, there are at least two amateur rugby league clubs in Devon. I guess an 'on the road' game there wouldn't do any harm. But, essentially, as you allude, Cornwall RLFC have a big enough job, at least initially, laying down roots in and attracting support from the Falmouth (and wider) area.

45 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Well, there are at least two amateur rugby league clubs in Devon. I guess an 'on the road' game there wouldn't do any harm. But, essentially, as you allude, Cornwall RLFC have a big enough job, at least initially, laying down roots in and attracting support from the Falmouth (and wider) area.

Exactly, if they’re trying to attract support in that part of Cornwall playing games in Devon won’t help. 

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Something like an "on the road" game in Devon would be a complete distraction, for what long-term gain? No one is going to travel down from Torquay/Devon on a regular basis for matches, it's a four hour round trip.

As much effort as possible needs to be focused in mid-Cornwall before an ounce is put into taking a match to a location 2hrs up the A30/A38. Even then, you have to question the long term aims of doing something like that for a one-off match.

Driving demand closer to home is a challenge enough to start with.

• Like 1

Another signing:

Former Wigan reserves full-back or stand-off Joe Purcell has become the latest signing for new League 1 club Cornwall.

Purcell, 22, hails from Widnes, spending time with the Vikings’ development squad, and played his amateur rugby with Halton Hornets.

He said: “I’m over the moon and I can’t wait for the adventure. It is a whole new club, starting from the bottom and I can’t wait to be part of the journey.  

“The lifestyle in Cornwall looks amazing. I’m buzzing to be moving down here with my girlfriend and start a new life, get cracked into this rugby and spread the word in Cornwall. 

“I saw the trial advertised and I saw it as the perfect opportunity. I travelled down for six hours with my dad for the trial, did the trial and fortunately I was offered a contract.”

Purcell played for Wigan’s reserve and academy sides before returning to the community game during the COVID pandemic.

Former Wigan and Widnes youngster heads to Cornwall (loverugbyleague.com)

• Like 6

On 13/01/2022 at 18:53, Eddie said:

Why do people say they want the Cornwall team to play games in Devon? Devon and Cornwall are different places, it’s like saying you want London Skolars to play some home games in Cromer. 

I wouldn't be against that 😄

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 18:53, Eddie said:

It was me who asked about it. There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Also Toronto were planning on playing a game in Copenhagen I think. And did one of the established sides, Wigan maybe, play a home game far away?

I understand your point but I did get a reply from Christian on here who said in the future it might be possible. 

Edited by Niels

Good luck Cornwall.  A hot bed of Union players so hopefully they can put a decent squad together and be competitive 

in terms of helping them develop a pre season game against a big name SL club would help generate some interest.  I know the seasons may not be in sync but surely Saints,Wigan, Leeds etc could send a reserve team  Anyone know what their pre season plans are

Also would be good if the hot/cold balls in the cup draw gave them a plum home tie on tv

Should be an interesting year

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niels said:

There was a groundshare between Truro and Torquay a couple of years ago so there has been previous co-operation between the counties. 

Very much under duress that one, though.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Good luck Cornwall.  A hot bed of Union players so hopefully they can put a decent squad together and be competitive 

in terms of helping them develop a pre season game against a big name SL club would help generate some interest.  I know the seasons may not be in sync but surely Saints,Wigan, Leeds etc could send a reserve team  Anyone know what their pre season plans are

Also would be good if the hot/cold balls in the cup draw gave them a plum home tie on tv

Should be an interesting year

Cornwall are not entering the cup this year.

44 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Ah my mistake.  Not been following it that closely.  
something pre season for them would help though.  Who knows might be easier for a French club to pop over

They have no preseason friendlies planned and it's not in the interest of the French clubs to travel over and play a team which seems to largely consist of amateur union players.